Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 / T56 DD e28 BMW Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jojomanx
Angel, I've been behind you in Oviedo, nice car, I new by the idle it wasen't a 6,
Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to work so not as much can get done....but here is a small update.

Struts are all broken down, reinforced the sway bar connection.
Rear trailing arms are all broke down waiting to go to the powder coater. Ireland subframe adjusters are on the way

The pressed steel 98 fbody manifolds got here and the passenger side is a PERFECT fit. I may still add an extension and a vband connector rather than the HUGE GM flange.

I cut the drivers side manifold up and added a 2.25" bend/downpipe to get down past the steering box. There will be a vband at the bottom where it can tie into the rest of the exhaust. It was a bit tricky to make it so I can get the manifold in and out with the engine in the car but it is working out.

Here are a couple pictures of the exhaust manifolds.
Passenger side

Drivers side....
only the flange cut off, dumps pretty much directly into the steering box. not going to work...

A bit more "trimmed" and things are fitting better

Where it will exit

Then I will tie the other pipes in..

The drivers side isn't optimal but it will work. Not too many options on the drivers side. The heat shield will go back over the drivers side manifold to give a little heat protection to the master cylinder....as it is close.

The engine will come back out this weekend. I can finish welding the transmission mount. Make the engine and trans mounts look a little nicer before they go off to be powder coated. Front subframe is going to get reinforced where the steering box mounts (common braking point) then it will go to the coater. About to put in a big order with blunt....

A bunch of wiring to start on...clean up the engine bay. Figure out if I should stick with the stock e28 AC condenser or get something updated...

Coming along tho
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Swapped the stock e28 booster back in and look at that...it fits. I had to spin it around so the vacuum port is closer to the outside of the car but running a stock booster is a plus. The one downside is to replace the booster I have to just about pull the engine.

Once I knew the booster would work the engine came out of the car. Dropped the subframe and welded in the steering box reinforcement (no picture). So that is ready to go off to the coater.

Cleaned up the engine bay a little bit. I am still up in the air if I am going to rip all the sound insulation off the firewall and replace it with something new. yes or no?

before...

after...

There is a little bit of surface rust in the battery tray...so that needs to get cleaned up and painted with some POR and painted over with some color to match.

Cleaned the mounts up a bit and fully welded the trans mount. Also made some jigs...anyone want a set of e28 ls1/t56 mounts? send me a PM

Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's coooooollllldddd here in Michigan but got a little done today.

Dropped the trans off to be checked over as I knew it had a problem with the reverse syncro. I also wanted to upgrade a few things in it. Well when the shop got it apart there was a bit more wrong than I was expecting. 5/6 gear was bad, reverse gear is bad, needs syncros throughout, getting brass shift pads, steel 3-4 shift fork. It should be a bit more stout and handle up to 600hp. Pretty big chunk of change but it will be good to go now.

Lots of parts have been rolling in. thanks blunttech
control arms, wheel bearings, brakes, etc etc etc

Jags that run diff flange and brake rotors
[img]http://theguestroom.net/e28/IMG_3221%20%28Small%29.JPG[/img
rebuilt CV axles

Got one of the bigger batches of coated parts.

Reinforced front sway bar mount location

One of the things to work out was the gauge temp sensor. THE GM head is m12x1.5 and the e28 sensor is m14x1.5. So I had a buddy turn it down on his lathe and re-thread it. I really didn't want to drill out the head...sensor is $6 no big deal if it is messed up.

Added the Ireland rear subframe adjusters, subframe can go to the coater now.

Pulled the engine wiring harness off to start slimming it down for a standalone.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep up the great work on this. I am looking for an E24 right now. It would be nice with an LS1 in it. They have a similar platform as E28's. I had a 535is a few years back. Loved that car.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Little bit of an update today. Got the firewall insulation on, brake booster repainted and on, replaced the clutch master, installed the lokar throttle cable, finished up the intake 255lph fuel pump, installed the fuel tank, installed the front subframe and steering box, made a couple strut bars....

I think that is about it....

On to some pictures

The e28 pickup tube is 12mm and the TRE pump is 8mm. The TRE fuel line fit tightly inside some BMW 12mm line. I don't feel there will be any issues as it is more of just a spacer and then all tightened down with a clamp. Only about a 1/2" piece of the TRE line inside the BMW stuff.

Ground line is crimped and soldered

I did cut off about 3/8" off the stock pickup tube so the pump would sit at the right depth in the tank. Then crimped the hose down

Pump in the tank, sitting just off the bottom

Gas tank cleaned and painted...and installed

Started with a layer of bytul type sound deadener

Covered it with this alum backed fiber heat shield type stuff. The alum backing was pretty thick

A picture from a bit back showing the entire bay

Subframe/steering in

Front struts are together, new wheel bearings, billy sports, right now some cut stock springs. Going to see how it sits before changing anything.

I did the following a week or so ago, just never updated the thread

There was a little rust under the battery, cleaned it up and POR'd it. I will probably spray some silver over top.

Little rust starting under the brake lines...cleaned up

Reinforced the rear sway bar mounts. There is a piece of angle iron up inside them and welded both to the body and the mount, then all PORd

Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Engine went back in yesterday...a few things to show pics of.

I had to open up the trans tunnel just a little bit, this is on the passenger side just in front of the mount.

Swapped to Ford backup light switch so I had a bit more room to plug the connector in.

Ready to go in

It's close but it clears everything.

e28 535 hose cut a bit more fits...still needs to be pushed on further.

I plan to move the heater valve over the the passenger side firewall to allow a better hose setup.

PCM mounted...I will have to adjust the harness a bit but that was a plan anyway.

It just looks like it belongs in there.....

Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very very small update....its been a busy week

I am going to run 2 12" puller fans this way everything will clear.

I will have a fan should waterjet and then powder coated. It will look something like this... I will weld some studs on it for the fans to mount.

Mounted the GM fuse box next to the BMW fuse box. no picture of that. Hoping to have some time over the next couple weeks to put into it.

Picked up another car and engine for a swap down the road...92 volvo wagon and then a 4.8 truck engine and a 4l60e automatic. It will be my wifes DD eventually. It actually drives nice as it stands now but is pretty slow.

A pic of it..
Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

I'd like to do an ls in a old school BMW 2002
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yes people the model not the year lol
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

You see byrd from two guys garage m3
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Nice car
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

That cars gonna be a handful
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

With the birth of our son and then my wife being in a lot of pain after delivery progress slowed down a bit. Things are starting to get sorta back to normal and figuring out when I have time to work on things.

I got a few things done recently.

Had the fan shroud cut from 14 gauge sheet metal. Welded some bolts to it and had it powder coated. No picture yet from after coating as it just got done and I haven't picked it up yet. It should work out really nice. I'm not sure yet how I am going to run the fans...either just one on for "low" speed and then both for "high" or both on slower in low and then full speed when high...not sure yet. Any suggestions?

I really hated the look of the panel the covers the heater fan and wiper motor so I pealed off all the rubber coating and had it blasted and coated.

But because now it was just a thin piece of metal I was worried about noise so I added some sound dampening material to the back side. It was pretty amazing how much different it sounded before and after the material.

And then how it looks on the car...

compared to....

moved the heater valve...it would have fit in the stock location but it would have been hard to service if needed.

mounted one of the camaro fuse boxes to hold the extra fuses and relays. The camaro actually has 3 fuse boxes, one in the dash and two under the hood. This is one of the underhood ones and I am repinning it to my liking.

Working on finishing up the rear end rebuild. The rear diff is a 3.25LSD which might change to a 3.46...I had the 3.25 so it is worth trying first.

I have a week off after this week and I am hoping to get mostly everything else done. Ordering all the AC bits tonight and should be able to order the driveshaft by the end of the week. Then I will have to do a bunch of wiring.......all figured out just need to do it and make it look nice. Slowly but surly it is moving ahead.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on the son. Slow progress is still progress!!! Looking good.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks!

I got the fan shroud back from the coater and was able to see how it all fits last night.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Great work Jake! I have been checking out your thread over on r3v as well. Would you please send me an email about a set of these motor/trans mounts? I am interested in purchasing a se for my own E28 project. Thanks!

Steven
vintageeuro@gmail.com
Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little more work done.....

I was having trouble finding an upper radiator hose that would work. So I just used the camaro hose at the engine and then part of an e36 upper hose at the radiator with a piece of alum tube between the two. One side of the alum tube had to be expanded. The tube will get coated gloss black.

Made the air intake....4" to 3.5" elbow, slight 3.5" bend to 3.5" straight and a little bracket to support it to the engine. Weld has been sanded down and the entire thing will get coated gloss black.

New Cross Flow AC condenser

A couple small brackets to mount to the factory locations

Rebuilt rear end ready to go in

and in

Style 5s to be refinished.....
Still not sure on colors.
What do you all think?
polished lips, satin black centers?
polished lips, grey/silver centers?
silver coated lips, black centers?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another update...
Driveshaft is made and will be here on wednesday.

Split the style 5s apart and dropped the centers off at the powder coater. Started stripping off the clear coat on the lips. Two applications of stripper and they are looking good. I think whatever it left will come off with some thinner.

Added some piping to both manifolds and a V band clamp.

Finished up the drivers side manifold...no picture showing it fully welded. Once it comes back off the car I will get one. This was one of the compromises as things are VERY tight on the drivers side manifold area.

Started on the exhaust system. I would say I am 60% mocked up.....

Drivers side...I will make some heat shields for the bushings

passenger side

dual 2.25" into maganaflow cats, into a spintech muffler, single 3" out, into a magnaflow muffler.

I am hoping it is quiet unless I am on it.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (08-01-2023)
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

The entire exhaust is mocked up....not fully welded yet. I have it tucked up as close as I could get it. I am hoping I don't have any clearance issues....if so I will have to redo the center section.

I am REALLY happy with how it came out tho.

some pictures...

Quick Reply: LS1 / T56 DD e28 BMW Build