Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 Wire Harness Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 Wire Harness Help Please

I found a wire harness for my LQ9 im putting in my Nova, but before I spend hours trying to figure out how to Mod the Harness I was hoping to get some advice. I still do not have an PCM yet. Does anyone know where I can get the procedure to remove the pins and unnecessary wires? What tooling is needed to pull the pins. Im decent with wiring, just need to know what to remove. I bought the harness separate from the motor, but it seems to be hooking up in the same places, including the DBW. I found the two big PCM connectors, BLUE and GREEN, PED 110 and PED 112, but the references I've found so far reference a BLUE and RED connector?? The harness P/N is 15836397.Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 Wire Harness Help Please-imag0490.jpg   LQ9 Wire Harness Help Please-imag0493.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

this helped me a lot

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...rt-finish.html
Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Check www.lt1swap.com also, that site has great info on ls harnesses
Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

Excellent, thank you
Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 AM
Staging Lane

What do I use to take the pins out of the PCM connectors?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull the retainers off. Once off, you will see little 'fingers' that hold each terminal in place, use a small screw driver or finger nail (be careful) to gently lift the 'finger' up and slide the terminal out the back of the connector.

Regarding the BLUE/GREEN vs. RED/BLUE PCMs. Are you running DBC or DBW?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Drive By Wire. Ive read it was easier to keep it rather than convert it to cable.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes, if you have the TAC Module and Pedal keeping DBW is fine. You will want to use the Green/Blue PCM tuned for that engine application so everything can talk to each other. Regarding schematics, most things are the same between harnesses, however, Green/Blue has some extra grounds and Pulse Width Modulated O2 Sensor heaters.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

I dont have the pedal assy or the TAC module. Is it easier to just go DBC?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We have the TAC and Pedal for $200, TAC Harness for $45. Compare that with cost of getting another throttle body (DBC) and either converting your current harness to DBC, purchasing a used DBC harness and reworking, or the only option I endorse..... buying a PSI harness! Other than cost, it is a matter of personal preference. Note that if you go with DBC, you will have to get another PCM (preferably red/blue, yes I know there are certain green/blue PCMs out there that will work with DBC, but the red/blue is more convenient).

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Get the numbers off your ecm and determine if it can be converted to dbc, if so search craigslist or ebay for used tb's . I picked up a holly alluminum intake (john Lingenfelter ported intake with 90mm throttle body dbc for 400 shipped off craigslist. There were alot of throttle body adds there!
If your ecm can be retuned I'd go that route, if not psiconversion's package sounds like a good deal!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Adam, I done have an ECM yet so you recomend if I want to go DBC just to get a blue/red ECM and a new TB? DBW seems expensive if I have to get a pedal assy and TAC module.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Teching In

and to pull the terminals from the PCM connectors, if eliminating that wire, ut the wire a few inches from the connector, remove the lock(the green or red piece), and push the wire into the connector, the terminal will push through and then jusyt pull it out, no possible damage to the connector, and much easier
Old 12-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Yes, exactly. I found ecm on ebay for 100 shipped and a ported throttle body on craigslist for 100, search Texas, Houston. I've bought my heads, intake and throttle body from that site. I have 500 invested in all that
Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help, I think that will keep me busy for a while. I am going to go the DBC route with Daves instructions. I might PM y'all for help sometime!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Also modifying the Harness isn't hard at all. Make sure you get some Heat Shrink for spliced connections. I got mine from Harbor Freight on sale.. Assorted box for like $3 a piece, I picked up 2 boxes, I also got some "Helping Hands" from there. Those help to hold wires where you are attaching ends to.
(Attach terminals and then solder over where the wire and the terminal connect and then use some heat shrink over the lower end)

You don't need a heat gun for the Heat shrink, I used a lighter!! and if you solder the terminals use the cheap autozone "lighter" torch! It's a handy lil thing.

Print out the Pin outs on lt1swap and highlight the wires you'll need to cut. Just read that site thoroughly, I chose to do a fuse panel similar to his but added 2 more fuse blocks and bought extra relays. That site contains all part #'s and links to get what you need. I spent a total of 125 for my harness and that included equipment and extra parts.
It will seem intimidating at first but as you work you'll realize its just tedious.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, thanks. It looks intimidating right now, but once I cut all the un-used wires out I think I'll be ok.

Quick Reply: LQ9 Wire Harness Help Please