Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dipstick and tube length

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dipstick and tube length

Im having a hard time wrapping my head around having to change my dipstick and tube going from the truck pan to the f-body pan. Does it make sense that the oil level in an LS motor in relationship to the windage tray or crankshaft would be the same regardless of pan depth ? Help me understand, if indeed, there is a difference.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a large difference, and I have the same feelings towards it as you do. I don't care if the oil pan's sump is 10 feet long and it holds 100's of quarts, you would think the level of the oil should still come up to within the same area near the windage tray.
The biggest difference is that the dipstick seems to enter near enough the front of the sump that it needs to be different per the different pans. I have sticks/ tubes here from all of the different setups and there are large differences in lengths from the bottom of the tube to the bottom of the stick so it's definitely safest to use the correct matching stick and tube that your pan requires.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im an old school builder, you know, gen 1 stuff. They are all the same length on the traditional small block. In fact , we use to lower the pickup tube fill it up a quart low( using a deep pan) , remark the stick just to reduce windage . Ahhhh, i just dont get it!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There seems to be differences in the way the dipsticks mount between blocks/dipsticks/tubes.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...surements.html
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a f body tube and stick. cheap off 02 camaro
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There only $22.50 for the tube/stick from Performance or whatever it is in Kansas.....stock Chevy.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't speak for all LS motors, but my LS2 came out of a Trailblazer SS. On the truck oil pan the oil tube was pressed into the pan. When I put the aftermarket oil pan on it I had to install a car dipstick tube, which pressed into the block. I had to remove a small plug to install the tube. If you click on the link in my signature and go to post #7 you can see a pick of the plug. It is near the passenger side knock sensor.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can see that making a big diffrence, but my pan is the hummer(lh8?)pan . it uses the dipstick located in the block, just like the f-body pan. i will let you know what happens because im going to put the proper amount of oil in after i install the pan and see what my original stick tells me.

Quick Reply: Dipstick and tube length