Sponsored by:

6.0 LQ9 into a foxbody

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 LQ9 into a foxbody

Hey guys

I have a 1991 Notchback mustang with a 350 Chevy/TH350 already swapped in using the AJE x-member. The car also has two fuel systems for carb/nitrous

Car is getting coil overs in the next couple of months, and Im really starting to like the 6.0L swap idea. So - when a gently used SS motor came up, I couldnt say no. The motor has a full harness and the computer.

Plan? 10psi pump gas motor, probably run the L92 heads/LS2 intake. ARP studs/rod bolts, FMIC

Whats the easiest way to get the LS running? Im not too bad with wiring, but its definetly not my strong point.

What are people running for fuel pumps and injectors?

I know my tranny will bolt up - what's needed for flexplate spacing?

And the scary question that'll start arguements - what'd be the best turbo for this setup?

thanks guys - Ill have a tonne of questions as the days come.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Teching In

im gatehring parts for a 5.3 w/ th350, from what i have read you can use spacers and use oem flywheel. i bought the tci flywheel thru jegs if that helps any.

as far as wiring you can mod the stock harness to work ot theres companies that make plug and play ones. psiconversion on here has excellent response, when i get to that stage of my project im gonna order thru him
Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lt1swap.com has enough info on repinning the stock wiring to get it up and going. I just did my set up using this site.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

I was in EXACTLY your boat, bought a fox body set up for a carb. I wanted to do a boosted engine, but when adding everything up, I decided to carb the LQ9, just doing LS3 heads, cam, victor Jr. intake and a good carb myself.

Others may chime in differently, but if EFI and boost is what you want, you'll have to use a LS3 intake with the L92/LS3 heads.

Here's what I ran into when pricing EFI for boost. I was using a LQ4 and was gonna use cathedral heads, so keep that in mind.

Car PCM (which is what local tuner said I needed of Z28) $200
Harness (PSI brand) $500
Tune $600
My own copy of HP Tuners so I can data log $500
Not counting Wide Band o2 setup
LS6 intake $400
60# injectors $400

You get the idea, not counting Turbo, IC, hot and cold side. Gets EXPENSIVE, just depending on your budget.

Good luck and YMMV.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

76 to 88mm is a good range depending what you want to do. im using a lq4 in my car and have a glide behind it. i will most likely be using a gt4202(bout 76mm) cause i want a fast spooling street car(car/chassis set to go 8.50's though). as for efi i would say use the msd box for ign and use MS for fueling. i have a dfi gen 7 from my sbf/turbo setup so im using that for my fueling and the msd for ign
Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Teching In

I'm doing the same swap~ LQ9 (TH400) into 79 Fox. I looked at it every-which-way and I think the easiest and cost effective way with injection is to run Megasquirt 3 which runs full sequential and COP. However, in the end, when I looked at the cost of converting my Fox to run an injected motor as well as the other parts for the swap, running a carb made the most sense.

Re the spacer~ most if not all LQ9s run the dished flex plate so just drop the hughes spacer between the TC and the flex plate.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

When everything was added up on mine, it was only gonna cost about $400 more to do a FAST XFI stand alone system on mine, just couldn't swing it, one day maybe

Quick Reply: 6.0 LQ9 into a foxbody