LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   74 chevelle/malibu all aluminum 5.3 swap (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1499645-74-chevelle-malibu-all-aluminum-5-3-swap.html)

brian.harmon1974 12-28-2011 09:40 PM

*Updating 74 chevelle/malibu 5.3 swap, resto-mod

finally have some extra time and money to do this swap. the plan is to rebuild the motor this winter with a cam and some valve train upgrades......suggestions? but heres what i have to work with

-2006 5.3 block
-1999 5.3 internals and heads
-700r4 that needs repair.

planned parts
-carb intake
-msd atomic efi (wanna do efi with a stealthy carb look)
-rear end rebuild, has a 3.73 looking for something better on fuel, ideas??

so questions for you guys>>>
what kinda cam? i was thinking a 2000ish z06 cam
is a stud kit for the mains worth it?
y does my 700r4 not have 3rd or 4th
should i get the double roller timing chain?
upgraded oil pump?
any headers known to fit well? if not should i make my own with a kit?

thanks for any help, im a big fan of this site and have been creeping on here since i started going to college 2 years ago (graduated with automotive technology)

i will add some pictures of the car and parts ive already collected soon as i have the time between working 12hrs and boy does that eat ur free time up

Old Kid 12-29-2011 06:21 AM

I'll lecture to you like I do to my kids your age (they never listen!): This sounds like your first LS swap. If you try to do too much at one time, you may get frustrated because it's going to take much more time and money than you ever anticipated. What about grabbing a running 5.3 or 6.0 with a matching tranny and computer, do all the fab work needed to get it installed and running, and enjoy driving the hell out of it. Work on your other engine rebuild as time and cash allows. When it's built, you'll already have the mounts, fuel, wiring, etc done and the engine will drop right in. Sell the pulled LS to recoup that money. Or keep the LS Chevelle as your daily driver and put your performance engine in a lighter car like an early Nova. OK, I'll stop lecturing! Good luck!

vandal699 12-29-2011 06:53 AM

Why not just get a complete 5.3 or 6.0. Most 5.3s are under $500 and 6.0s are under 800. You will spend that on your gaskets and parts to put yours together. You don't need main studs. I would stay away from the 700r4 you have personally.

Old Geezer 12-29-2011 07:30 AM

What Vandal said!^^^^

brian.harmon1974 12-29-2011 05:37 PM

yes its my first swap. but its just the way that things have worked out for me that these r the parts i have to work with. i found a rebuild kit with everything cept head and main bolts on rock auto for $300. and i dont trust junk yard motor enough to not take it apart. i know its a different engine but i had a few junk yard sbc 350s die on me, so im a lil paranoid.

vandal699 12-30-2011 07:44 AM

That is understandable but I assure you the the parts gm put in the engine are way better than the ones in some budget made in cambodia rebuild kit.

brian.harmon1974 12-30-2011 11:07 AM

Haha you're definatly right about the quality of the parts. But I also take pride in saying I built that motor. This is not my first engine rebuild and I'm not afraid of the challege. Ill be keeping mostly stock parts inside unless there is something that I should really replace (I already know about the push rods and connecting rod bolts, any brands that r recommended?)

99ssleeper 12-30-2011 04:13 PM

Looking forward to seeing pics of the car and progress. My dad has a 73 chevelle that has been in the family since new and he's leaning towards a swap. Keep us updated!

brian.harmon1974 12-30-2011 04:20 PM

I deffinaltly will. I wanted to last night but since its the last shipping days of the month I've been out straight and haven't had time. I'm hoping to post a few pix of the parts because the car is in my signature B)

oange ss 12-30-2011 07:28 PM

There were no Z06's in 2000. I don't know if the 06 5.3 has a front or rear cam sensor, be sure to get the correct one for your application

brian.harmon1974 01-01-2012 02:02 PM

i read in my LS engine rebuild book that they put a z06 cam in a 5.3 and it gain 50 horse. guess ill have to find it and dig into it again. does anyone know if truck or f-body headers will work on an A-body?

7998 01-01-2012 04:59 PM

Love the swap. The first car I ever drove (age 13) was my cousins 1974 Black Mailbu with a 2bbl 350. Man I loved that car, it would lay a serious one wheel peel mark up and down my parents road. Sorry didn't add nothing to the thread but my own nostalgia. Good luck with the swap.

brian.harmon1974 01-04-2012 09:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
finally had some time to find the pictures of the car the first week i bought it. if all goes well ill get some pictures of the parts laid out in the garage. the motor in the picture is the old 350 i built in high school

brian.harmon1974 01-25-2012 07:28 PM

buying more parts, figured out the cam i was talking about was the ls6 cam, and does anyone know if theres a difference between the truck and corvette power steering pumps? im looking into a hydro-boost set up

brian.harmon1974 01-31-2012 09:39 PM

hey guys, its been a little while but ive been gathering parts in the down time, got a gmpp carb intake and a holley 600cfm carb. looking into replacing the vacuum secondarys to mechanical as well as the choke, if anyone has ideas id love to hear them.

i will post pics of parts tomorrow night

brian.harmon1974 04-02-2012 08:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
finally had some time and decent weather to get some stuff done. after getting the old girl back on the driveway i got to work on getting the adapters on the block and ended up using the stock clamshells on it, its just a bare block with everything sitting on it.

good news bad news

Good: hood still closes with carb set up (has like 3 inches of clearence)

Bad: Oil pan that i saw coming, as it sits there is an inch of room around everything. but shes hanging 2.5 inches below not something that sets well with me.

I looked on here and the hummer pan isnt much better and i know the f-body wont work. i think im going to cut the 2.5 out and have a good friend re-weld it

Might even try and push it out on the sides since i think i have room, but i still have to get headers in so we will see.

brian.harmon1974 04-18-2012 09:23 PM

ok so made some more progress.

truck accessories are going to clear the hood.

waiting for them to be shipped but i bought some 2010 camaro exhaust manifolds that tuck great for the swap, because the cheapest headers i can find for my car are almost $800......not an option at this time.

now the only issue that seems to be major is the oil pan, after looking around the hummer pan wont b much help. and i really dont want to notch the frame for the f- body pan.

the truck pan fits perfect....minus hanging down so low. i wont mind cutting it but i dont want to lose the capacity. thought id throw it out there a see that you guys thought.

what if i cut out from the bottom the amount i need to clear, then make up the capacity by making flare outs similar to the Mildon pans?

has anyone tried it? am i over looking a major problem with doing that?

other than that the car is stripped down except for the dash and rear seat back support. will take pix in the day light tomorrow

LS2GS 04-19-2012 12:21 AM

Nice progress and good lookin car!

brian.harmon1974 04-19-2012 04:59 PM

10 Attachment(s)
some pix of what ive been up too.

drivers side doesnt offer much room for headers does it?

found the worst of the cancer :bang:

and took off the dash cover......:barf:

oh well, any ideas for the dash guys? kinda wanna do a full aluminum

brian.harmon1974 04-19-2012 05:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
dash pix

also the decals a "friend" put on when i wasn't looking