Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Steering Shaft/Column

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox Steering Shaft/Column

If anyone has or can take pictures of their dynatech headers on ls1 in a 87-93 foxbody can you please post them in this thread. I did a lot of searching and found the thread where they found out they were different from 94-04 ones.

Preferably looking for driver side close ups and steering shaft clearances. I know a lot of people run the flaming river shafts. Is this necessary?

I removed my shaft today and the pass side slid right on, but the driver side was being a pita. There is just a mock up motor in the car and was checking for clearances now. I had the motor lifted up but when trying to put back down the steering column was in the way. Do I have to push the column in some. I read too that it moves from left to right? Is the steering shaft supposed to go inside between the header and block? Help please!

Last edited by DoWantLS1; 01-31-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

No one has pictures?! Or any tips? Part number I got was 715-91410 which is supposed to be for 79-93 foxes.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Here is my problem.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what a p.o.s. sell it
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Need a tranny? It has 6 working gears....
Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

nah i like my 4 spd t56. much better. but good luck with the headers. maybe it will be ready by 2013 at this rate.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I pushed the steering column back in towards the firewall and I got the shaft to slide on and it clears the back primary. Is this how most people with the dynatechs run them? Because the shaft is about 2 inches short now. So what do I do now? I know I have to get another shaft because of the big *** rag joint anyways, but wont it still be too short?

I do not believe the column will clear if I pull it out from the firewall as far as possible? But I have not tried. How do you guys run them?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DoWantLS1
Ok so I pushed the steering column back in towards the firewall and I got the shaft to slide on and it clears the back primary. Is this how most people with the dynatechs run them? Because the shaft is about 2 inches short now. So what do I do now? I know I have to get another shaft because of the big *** rag joint anyways, but wont it still be too short?

I do not believe the column will clear if I pull it out from the firewall as far as possible? But I have not tried. How do you guys run them?
Check out maximummotorsports.com. They have a nice collapsing solid steering shaft for manual or power racks. Nice clearance and much better feel over the rag-joint junk.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1hatchback
Check out maximummotorsports.com. They have a nice collapsing solid steering shaft for manual or power racks. Nice clearance and much better feel over the rag-joint junk.
Yes I was just looking at that one from mm last night. I just hope its long enough where I have the column pushed back to in the firewall. Although if the ujoint by the column is not as big I guess I would pull it back out some.
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Default steering shaft clearance?

Did you ever manage to figure out a solution to this clearance issue? I have a set of dynatech 1 7/8 long tubes and a team z k member. The picture you posted is literally the same problem I am having too. I have a flaming river manual rack and low-profile shaft, but that still hasn't fixed the problem. I have yet to play around with adjusting the steering column and I believe there is just barely some play in my motor mounts to bring the engine forward. I'll post an update tomorrow and pics if i can manage to figure it out. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! -Taylor
Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

what most people do not realize not only side to side on the steering column but you can run spacers on it. The 2 bolts close to the firewall (under the dash) I have about 3/4 spacer and then the closet to me I think I have about 1/2" washers. I use 1 7/8th Kooks on mine. Few guys have done it this way when I told them it does work.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:35 PM
9 Second Club

your using the spacers to drop the column down

Quick Reply: Fox Steering Shaft/Column