Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump mechanical fan, threaded mount

Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water pump mechanical fan, threaded mount

When pulling the mechanical fan off say a truck water pump pulley. Can a guy cut the remaining mounting stud for the mechanical fan(that it threads onto)? I took a look at it and I can't see why not?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Only reason I see that you might not want to cut it off is if you want to thread a puller onto it to push it off of the waterpump shaft, but then again you could just use a 3jaw puller to remove the pulley. From the pics I have it looks like the only purpose of the threaded snub is just to hold the clutch on there.. I say go for it. Are you running out of room for fans? My big single electric fan had the motor's housing come about 1/2 away from the truck waterpump threaded stub before I switched out to the LS3 waterpump.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frojoe
Only reason I see that you might not want to cut it off is if you want to thread a puller onto it to push it off of the waterpump shaft, but then again you could just use a 3jaw puller to remove the pulley. From the pics I have it looks like the only purpose of the threaded snub is just to hold the clutch on there.. I say go for it. Are you running out of room for fans? My big single electric fan had the motor's housing come about 1/2 away from the truck waterpump threaded stub before I switched out to the LS3 waterpump.
Just to clean it up really. I'll cut it off. All I use is a 3 jaw puller aswell. Just figured I'd ask incase I was missing something.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Resurecting very old post.

I need to install Dodge Intrepid fans and its going to be very difficult without cutting the radiator core support in the S10.

I don't know how much material there is behind the threaded part that is pressed in. I would love to cut the tip off to make more room.

Did you end up cutting the threaded tip ?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default water pump

An LS3 water pump will bolt to a Gen III block?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

I don't think this cannot be done. I could not find any picture but did find a YouTube video of LS water pump tear down. The tip is part of the pressed on part and if it is cut and removed, very little surface would remain of the pulley that would be pressed and may come lose.

Waid
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Having dealt with the problems associated with a lack of space at the front of the motor for a long, long time (swaps) -- I'd take a hard look at spending the time to move the radiator forward. Over the long run, you'll be glad you created the extra space.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Having dealt with the problems associated with a lack of space at the front of the motor for a long, long time (swaps) -- I'd take a hard look at spending the time to move the radiator forward. Over the long run, you'll be glad you created the extra space.
I was able to stick a mid-80's C4 radiator in my S-10 after cutting the core and gained 2". Still have A/C and a front-mount intercooler ahead of it. Pulling it apart is easy...
Old 01-29-2018, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I was able to stick a mid-80's C4 radiator in my S-10 after cutting the core and gained 2". Still have A/C and a front-mount intercooler ahead of it. Pulling it apart is easy...
Did you have to move the AC condenser at all?

waid
Old 01-29-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waid786
Did you have to move the AC condenser at all?

waid
I'm pretty sure that's in the stock location, just that the core was cut out just enough to push the rad inside the core. E-mail me and I'll send you the pix I have of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: water pump mechanical fan, threaded mount