Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS and T56 location in 69 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS and T56 location in 69 Camaro?

Looks like I might switch to an LS /T56 combination. The LT4 in my 69 camaro gave out at the last track event of the year. I appreciate all the information posted as I have spent a lot of hours taking it all in.
My questions is. Using the S&P motor plates. Will the LS motor and T56 align where my old T56 was with the LT4. I would like to use my existing driveshaft and hole in the floor. As a reference, the T56 shifter mount came up almost in line where the platform the front seats mount to drops down for the front floor pans. S&P said it would and I could use my existing driveshaft and hole. They, also, said I could use my existing T56 with an LS motor with a flywheel change. This took me back and has me wondering about their information on transmission location.
Thanks,

Kevin
69 Camaro LT4 (now broken) / T56 9' 3.90 gear, DSE suspension, Baer Brakes, Budnik wheels, vintage air.............
Old 02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not positive but I think the one inch back plates put the LS motors in same position at bellhousing flange as the conventional SBC, which should be same dimensions as LT4 block. But, if S&P said it work, who knows
Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,367 Likes on 2,084 Posts

69lt4, your going to have to change the front cover, input shaft, and bellhousing of your t-56, to install it behind an ls engine. I'm having to do the same thing, as many have here on this site. My parts will finally be here tomorrow. I would have sold my lt based t-56 and bought an ls version tranny, but the one I bought had just been rebuilt with all the goodies, and was fresh, and priced very well.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Che70velle,
That's what I understood had to be changed for it to work. Just made me question the other information they provided.

Thanks,
Kevin

Quick Reply: LS and T56 location in 69 Camaro?