Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry guys, another alternator wiring question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sorry guys, another alternator wiring question!

Hey guys! Im at the finishing stage of putting a 5.3 in my 1990 suburban. Im at the alternator now. The guy that did my harness and computer eliminated the alternator wiring from it. So, I need to hook it up like the truck was originally. The suburban's alternator has,

One big wire heading to the junction block on the firewall.
One brown wire that heads up and under the dash.
And one pink/ black wire.

So, i have the connector for the new 5.3 (2002 silverado lm7) alternator just need to know what wires to stick where and need to know if i need the resistor wire that im told about. Here is the stock connector followed by the new connector. Any words of wisdom would be great! Thank you!

Name:  IMAG0489.jpg
Views: 6455
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0488.jpg
Views: 8430
Size:  88.2 KB

And just for fun here is a pretty recent pic.

Name:  IMAG0540.jpg
Views: 2796
Size:  89.2 KB
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brown wire headed to your suburban should be your charging indicator light (resistance required for alt), and should go to the brown wire coming off the LS alt. The big junction wire on the firewall can either be hooked straight to your alt. output or to the battery. I believe the left junction wire on the firewall is the power to your heater contactor (but i could be wrong) and the right wire is just headed to the 12v buss in the fuse block. I have that same wire on my '85 and it seems to kick my fan on when i put it to + and have the fan switch turned on. As for the pink/black wire, I couldn't tell you for sure. I believe it was used as the 12v ign.on to the old alt. or "Generator Turn On Signal" as i've seen labeled in manuals and schematics. As for the LS side, i need the wire colors or plug letters to know whatcha got. In the pic i couldn't make the colors out due to the tape. You should have a brown wire for sure coming out and that should be a no brainer (brown to brown).
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ml#post7748845
Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a 6.0 truck swap in my Nova which ran a 3 wire sbc alternator before. My truck alternator had 1 brown wire coming off the plug, I ran that to the wire from the old alt wire that tripped the charge lamp, I then ran heavy guage wire from the battery to the alternator battery post, I then connected the other wire from my old alternator set-up that powered the interior fusebox i presume to that battery post. Motor starts and runs just fine! no charge issures so far!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the faq link! Now why the heck.didn't that come up when i searched "alternater wiring"?! Lol anyway, thanks again!

Quick Reply: Sorry guys, another alternator wiring question!