Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump questions 64 chevelle 5.3l

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering pump questions 64 chevelle 5.3l

I changed the location of my engine to 1" forward to help with driveline angle and the only issue I have is the power steering reservoir is hitting the steering gear and I cannot get the accessory bracket to align. I am using the truck accessory drive and installing a 5.3L in a 64 chevelle with Jeep GC steering gear.

I don't want to move it back because of tranny tunnel interference. I dont want to raise it because of hood interference. I don't want to spend $400 for the Kwik bracket and parts necessary to go that route. I have tried grinding on the reservoir and the steering gear and still it is about 1/8 inch from clearance and I have ruined the reservoir as I ground it till it started weeping PS fluid.

Been searching for last couple of days and have some questions I cannot find answers for.
  • Can I remove the reservoir from the truck pump and install a remote reservoir? This would solve my problem if possible.
  • Will a type 2 PS pump bolt to the truck acessory bracket where the saginaw type pump is now?
  • Anyone have a helpful suggestion?

I am very close to finishing this project and hope I do not have to fabricate a bracket, I am not so good at that sort of thing.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Launching!

bump . . . help . . . please?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

check out Kwik performance blog for a way to convert a type 2 pump to remote reservoir using a few dollars of hardware store parts. You can probably decide from those pictures and the location of the outlet on yours if you can make that work.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump questions 64 chevelle 5.3l