Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Blazer 5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Blazer 5.3 swap

I am curently working on a 5.3 swap in my 93 Blazer and have run into a couple of stumbling blocks, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am trying to keep my stock transmission (it is a 4l60e non pwm) I do have a T/C spacer
I will be using a 05 5.3l & PCM (blue/green connectors) with DBW.
My question is can my PCM be programed for the 93 trans & control TCC
lock up off/on without PWM like my factory 93 PCM did? I am also converting
my blazer from a coiumn shift to a floor shifter from a 98 Blazer to avoid shift linkage/header interferance & adding a park/neutral switch to the side of the trans with a longer detent rod. Will the PCM need to see a park/neutral signal to adjust the idle while under a load (when in drive or reverse).
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

scrap the old 4l60-e unless it's been built up it's just more trouble than it's worth. Call current performance a harness and get jared to build one for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Teching In

I have talked to Jared about a harness and he said nothing about having to change the tansmission. I am builbing my own harness for this project. One reason being cost, the other being the the pride and experience of doing it myself. I have been mechanic for 10 years and this is not my first motor swap, although it is my first swap keeping a PCM. I undestand the complexity of this swap especially trying to keep the factory digital dash, transmission, cruse and so on. I realize if all else fails I can pick up a transmission & harness, but for me doing most of the work myself is part of the whole experience of the swap. I have done alot of seaching and have read alot of posts from many forums. Pocket has a wealth of knoledge & I have picked up alot from his harness posts on thirdgen.org being that my tuck & swap is very similar. This is my first post in any forum. I am currently a member of thirdgen, s10forum & ls1tech. Just looking for a few answers/suggestions. Trying to keep cost down (insert laugh here) and backtracking to a minimum. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

We just finished my buddys turbo 5.3 in an 87 2wd Blazer. It was a fun build. If you plan on making any power from the 5.3 the 60 trans is going to break. If you don't mind spending the time and money later to fix I say go for it otherwise pick up an 80 and don't look back.

Either way, cool build and good luck.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Save yourself the hassle buy a 99-02 v8 camaro harness gut the OE engine management harness and then mate the powers and gauge wiring from your stock harness to the car harness. It's cake to do and will work perfectly. I built the harness for my 02 sonoma that way.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply tamu. Its just a stock 5.3 not building it up. I just went through my trans before my 4.3 let go, so I decided to do the swap instead of rebuilding the 4.3. I am going to use the truck harness that came with my 5.3 for my swap. Pretty sure Ive got most of it figured out except fo the trans portion.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Repeat above procedure using truck harness.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

The existing trans will work if you have to stick with it. Just have the tuner delete the TCC PWM lock up code and program the TCC lock up solenoid output to your prefered setting. All the pcm does is send ground to the tcc to make it lock. All of the other functions and solenoids are the same TCC is the only thing they changed. Everytime I have a 4l60 of mine tuned I do away with the PWM tcc control anyway and either have it 100% on or off it makes converters last a lot longer.

You have to use a 4L80 crank spacer behind the flywheel and you will be one bolt short in the bellhousing but other than that and the above wiring hickey it's a bolt up.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the late 90's, I did a 5.7 swap into a friends 92 Blazer. He insisted on using the stock transmission (with 75,000 miles on it) He wanted to save money.

The TPI swap went in and it looked and ran great. Gave it back to him. Six days later it was back for a new transmission. I didn't mind. I made another $600 on it)

Unless you rebuild the stock transmission or drive it gently with the 5.3 (why then do the swap), eventually the stock V6 transmission will fail.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replys & advice. As soon as i get a little further in the build i'll post up a build thread
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMF_Racing
We just finished my buddys turbo 5.3 in an 87 2wd Blazer. It was a fun build. If you plan on making any power from the 5.3 the 60 trans is going to break. If you don't mind spending the time and money later to fix I say go for it otherwise pick up an 80 and don't look back.

Either way, cool build and good luck.
What is involved in adapting the harness from 60e to an 80e.

Quick Reply: 93 Blazer 5.3 swap