Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing together LS swap Efi vs Carb

Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Pricing together LS swap Efi vs Carb

I've been researching and found it to be pretty expensive to convert to carb. I thought being carbed would be cheaper but it doesn't seem that way. Here are some rough estimates of the swap I was looking to do to my 81 TA

Parts that are needed no matter EFI or carbed

Headers $450
Motor mounts $50
Fuel system $250
Trans adapter $50

Total estimated $800

Now to go carbed

Intake and msd box $669.99 or convert to distributor which is $450 then you need to buy the carb intake $250 and a distributor. A used budget carb around $200

Total estimate around $900

Everything I added together were just estimates, if I'm missing anything let me know. I think thanks to my research I'm just gonna buy a motor with all the EFI and ecu.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A few other things

Pitbull, I came up with similar findings in all my research. Surprisingly, carb and EFI are pretty close to one another on the cost front. A couple things you didn't mention on the EFI cost estimation.

If you buy a junkyard engine, you will pay extra for the intake, harness and ECU. If you are going carb you either do not buy those parts OR buy them and sell them for a few hundred bucks.

With an EFI converison you either have to alter the harness yourself, which I have heard is not to bad if you have some electrical skill. Or buy an aftermarket harness. Cost $150 and up depending on how fat your wallet is?

And don't forget, to take full advantage of the fuel economy and performance of an EFI system, the ECU should be tuned for your application. A tune will also remove things like VATS, emission controls, trans control etc. AND then if you change cams, rocker ratio, compression, heads, exhaust, or fart in the wind you will need to have the ECU tuned again. Here again the cost varies anywhere from $150 to the sky is the limit.

For me, carb is the way to go at this point in time. When I do approach an EFI conversion I want to do it right with a tranny swap, harness alteration, intake design, in-tank pump. Look forward to seeing what you determine is right for you! Good luck!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm looking at a 6.0 tomorrow, but I don't think it comes with an intake or coil packs. I was planning to go carbed. I forgot to list electric fans, how do you run electric fans with a carbed motor, how do you control when they kick on?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Either way, you'll need a fuel pump for either application. Costs about $100 give or take. Both carb and efi should be regulated, figure $50 or so, give or take. If you get the engine complete in an intake for efi, you're already saving, but even purchasing one via ebay is usually less than $200 with injectors, even less for a truck intake. Wiring is easier on carb, however efi vendors have come way down.

For example http://www.lsx-harness.com/
Works a modifed harness and programs the ECM all for about $350. Yes, any other mods down the road will have to be accounted for in a tune, but retune's are generally pretty cheap (considering the cost of a swap). Carbs always need to be jetted and fiddled with. Not really an issue, just something else that has to be done in either case.

Electric fans run automatically with EFI. For a manual carbed setup (with rad probe for example), thats another $100 bucks or so.

Also, don't forget. If somethings up, EFI will tell you so via OBDII and SES lights. Can be handy. Carb may be easier, but I believe the benefits of EFI win hands down. Little more legwork, but the payoff is much better.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Derale makes an adjustable fan controller for $40 that uses a radiator temp probe. You can also use mechanical temp switches for the job, it is just a little harder to plump them in since they are usually too big for the temp sensor bungs in the LS heads. You can get the temp switches in a pick and pull.

Also LS carb intakes and MSD boxes are starting to show up used, so your $900 number is pretty high if you get lucky on a deal.

If you have a complete EFI pull out with all the parts then carbs can be the more expensive option. The cost balance can quickly changes if the EFI solution doesn’t fit (i.e. truck intake is too tall), if some of the more expensive EFI parts fail, if you need bigger injectors or if you actually buy the stuff you need to do your own tunes. You also need to factor in the cost of running a sump if you are fuel injecting an older carb vehicle. EFI isn’t as tolerate of uncovering the fuel pump inlet as carbs are.

Where carbs really beat EFI cost wise is crate motors and for motor upgrades. New EFI stuff on a crate motor adds a couple grand in cost. As for upgrades, once you have a carb set up a cam change is just a few hours with a screwdriver and maybe some air bleeds. A carb system will transfer to another motor in an afternoon. It does require a bit of an investment to get carb tuning parts, but once you have that stuff you are set for life. Swap meets usually have buckets of carb stuff.

Carbs also put a lot less demand on the electrical system. Even the fuel pumps draw less current. I have excess capacity with an 85 amp mini alternator and minimal wiring.

Carbs aren’t for everybody. They are definitely more hands on. Perfect for me, but probably not a good choice for someone who just wants a nice cruiser. Since I put a new crate motor in an old car going carb’d saved me a significant amount of money.

If somethings up, EFI will tell you so via OBDII and SES lights
Something of a red herring since carbs don't have the complicated sensors in the first place. Most error codes seem specific to the EFI sensors, so getting rid of those pretty well emasculates the MIL. Get a vacuum leak somewhere and the error codes are no more helpful than with a carb'd vehicle

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 02-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you already have a car setup with a carb and low pressure electric pump, changing to EFI is much more expensive and won't gain you anything in the performance side of things. Remember, buying that carb intake is similar to upgrading the EFI intake. And have you priced a FAST intake and T/B lately? However, if starting completely from scratch, it's pretty much a wash. I would go EFI if you aren't already invested or if you plan to drive the car very much.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
I've been researching and found it to be pretty expensive to convert to carb. I thought being carbed would be cheaper but it doesn't seem that way. Here are some rough estimates of the swap I was looking to do to my 81 TA

Parts that are needed no matter EFI or carbed

Headers $450
Motor mounts $50
Fuel system $250
Trans adapter $50

Total estimated $800

Now to go carbed

Intake and msd box $669.99 or convert to distributor which is $450 then you need to buy the carb intake $250 and a distributor. A used budget carb around $200

Total estimate around $900

Everything I added together were just estimates, if I'm missing anything let me know. I think thanks to my research I'm just gonna buy a motor with all the EFI and ecu.
Hey Pitbull! There is no distributor. At least i don't think. I'm looking at the doing the same thing. Also, you'd want to include the Retrofit oil pan kit. The Chevy performance ones on Jegs and Summit for about 150. But the carb route is easier IMO
Old 04-02-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

jdaniel91, always look at the date before responding to a thread, this one is 4 years old.
Some people will flame you for not using google first, then some will flame you for using
google first and then responding to old thread. It is what it is.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slogo
jdaniel91, always look at the date before responding to a thread, this one is 4 years old.
Some people will flame you for not using google first, then some will flame you for using
google first and then responding to old thread. It is what it is.
Sorry! Newbie here 😔
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdaniel91
Sorry! Newbie here 😔
Oh, I have no problem, no apology needed, I was only warning what sometimes
happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pricing together LS swap Efi vs Carb