Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness/opinion help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harness/opinion help

OK so i have a '08 ly5 5.3. Its a gen IV motor with dbw throttle body and knock sensors on the side of the block. Id like to run the DBC throttle body for ease of swap. But I've been told that i cant use that with the ly5 stand alone harness and ly5 computer. I was thinking of doing the 58x-28x conversion box, and use the ls1 pcm. But i would have to re-tap the knock sensor holes to accept the ls1 f-body sensors.....?????

Now im not sure if this is all correct, but makes sense. Now i could spend 600 on the harness then another 90-100 on new knock sensors, then another 275ish for the conversion box just to run the cable. Or i could Spend alittl more on the ly5 harness and do a DBW throttle body. This would take me finding the correct DBW tb and pedal, but would be easier and alittle cheaper. Has anyone ever done a swap with a dbw pedal? Just trying to get some ideas/info to lead me in the correct manner.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding the knock sensors.... there are other holes in the side of block that will work with the LS1 sensors and not require retapping. If you have the throttle body already, running the DBW makes more economical sense. What transmission are you running? We have new GM pedals for use with that swap for $100. If you are set on DBC, then the Lingenfelter box is the way to go. Feel free to call us to discuss further.

Jon
PSI
732-691-6531

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06colorado
OK so i have a '08 ly5 5.3. Its a gen IV motor with dbw throttle body and knock sensors on the side of the block. Id like to run the DBC throttle body for ease of swap. But I've been told that i cant use that with the ly5 stand alone harness and ly5 computer. I was thinking of doing the 58x-28x conversion box, and use the ls1 pcm. But i would have to re-tap the knock sensor holes to accept the ls1 f-body sensors.....?????

Now im not sure if this is all correct, but makes sense. Now i could spend 600 on the harness then another 90-100 on new knock sensors, then another 275ish for the conversion box just to run the cable. Or i could Spend alittl more on the ly5 harness and do a DBW throttle body. This would take me finding the correct DBW tb and pedal, but would be easier and alittle cheaper. Has anyone ever done a swap with a dbw pedal? Just trying to get some ideas/info to lead me in the correct manner.
What are you putting the engine in to? You may be better off sticking with the electronic throttle in some cases.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 88 mustang coupe, running a th350 with art carr stall. I believe i will stay DBW so i make use of this harness and pcm i already have
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Go to a u-wrench-it and get a DBW gas pedal and pigtail for $20 bux. I prefer to use the Pontiac G6 or Malibu pedals as they are smaller than the truck pedals. Be sure to match up the wire colors on the PCM harness. Verify wiring by connecting via HPT scanner by verifying proper TPS levels at closed and wide open throttle. Do this before starting the engine or driving the vehicle.

Pm me your email and I can send you schematics for your harness. DBW does not have to be expensive.

Quick Reply: Harness/opinion help