Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro twin turbo LS project

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Camaro twin turbo LS project

I collected some stuff last summer / fall to make a LS twin turbo that would come in close to 1000 hp. Some where in the process I decided that it might be better to get a car that would be better equipped to handle this power level. I know there are guys going insanely fast on stock suspensions with 275 dr's. This was just a personal choice and to be honest Ive always wanted a car that I could pull into a hamburger stand that looked like "no way in hell is that thing street legal". That said I got some work to do because this car at this point isn't even close. I figure the biggest expense to making this thing street legal will be to replace all the Lexan with glass.

The "GOAL" or "General Concept" behind this build is kind of a budget / performance hybrid. Not a hybrid as far as the LS swap but a hybrid pertaining to the budget / performance part. I want a good car / chassis, with good supporting pieces. I dont want to run $400 Ebay turbos and $150 Ebay IC's ect. For example I have a pair of Turbonetics BB turbos, and a pair of Precision (PTE) liquid IC's. The budget part is to come from the fact that the car will be running basically stock truck long blocks / short blocks. If I throw a rod thru the side of a long block that I have $600 in....... So you don't have a "budget build up" but hopefully I will have something that's inexpensive to running and enjoying. Seriously I could have a solid 8 sec car and I could have two spare long blocks sitting there ready to go and have less than $1500 total in the pair of them..... that's the budget part

Wish me luck

Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

The blue camaro is sweet!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mice13
The blue camaro is sweet!!!
lol yeah but im pretty sure his is the silver one. good luck. I bought glass all the way around for my 67 firebird for $600. i think youll be okay.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The stock short truck block can take around 600 whp before your literally throwing the dice everytime you mash the go pedal. But a simple rod/piston swap can take you over 800 with marginal safety. Most important thing is the tune so get that dialed in perfect with respect to power vs safety and there are guys with 800 or so out of the stock shorts but how hard they romp em? Only they know.

But 1000 whp out of a stock short is one TALL order
Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

We found out along time ago that with turbos that Hp / performance levels had less to do with breaking stock or even aftermarket internals than set up an tune did. These werent LS motors, but lessons learned are lessons learned. The set up and tune will be done by me and I have exactly ZERO experience with LS motors. Will my skills and abilities being the limiting factor or will it be the stock internals? Hell I dont know, but I do know I only paid $400 for a low mile gen IV 4.8L out of a 2007 GMC. Hopefully my LS lessons wont be to damn expensive.

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro twin turbo LS project