LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   Fuel Gauge Wiring (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1523017-fuel-gauge-wiring.html)

Rich92RS 03-05-2012 05:59 PM

Fuel Gauge Wiring

Im running a ls1/t56 in my 86 iroc and am trying to get my fuel gauge working. Im running a 98 TA gauge cluster, and a 01 Z28 fuel tank. My wiring harness has been repined for a 99-02 PCM, so Im running a 99 PCM.

On the 98's the fuel level sender goes to the blue PCM connector pin 10, then from the red PCM connector pin 36 to the fuel level gauge.
On 99+ the red pcm connector pin 54 is the fuel level signal, and Im guessing the fuel level gauge goes to a serial data wire.

Ive got the gauge wired to the fuel level sensor atm and its not working, unless im on the wrong wire. How can I get my fuel level gauge working?

Rich92RS 03-08-2012 08:59 AM

Is there no way to get the fuel gauge working wired straight from the fuel level sensor?

69 Ghost 03-08-2012 09:45 AM

You need to do a express van segment swap or get somebody with Tunercat to set up the gauge. The 98 cluster is a direct wiring for the fuel gauge. You need to have. If you wire it direct you will only have the gauge with no evap control which you may not have anyway. Either way the nice thing about the gauge going through the PCM is that you can get the accuracy of the tank down. Try CalEditor or I have somebody that can program the PCM for you if you pm me.

Rich92RS 03-08-2012 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost (Post 16057881)
You need to do a express van segment swap or get somebody with Tunercat to set up the gauge. The 98 cluster is a direct wiring for the fuel gauge. You need to have. If you wire it direct you will only have the gauge with no evap control which you may not have anyway. Either way the nice thing about the gauge going through the PCM is that you can get the accuracy of the tank down. Try CalEditor or I have somebody that can program the PCM for you if you pm me.

Yea the only thing hooked up at the fuel pump wiring bulkhead is; power, 2 grounds, and the fuel level sensor. Everything else has been deleted in the PCM. At my PCM hook up I don't have any wires leading to/or from Pin 54 (Fuel level signal) on the Red PCM connector. So I need to run the fuel level sensor wire from the tank to Red PCM Connector Pin 54? Where does the gauge wire up to?

Ive got it wired up direct at the moment, but its not working. Key on it goes to empty. Key off its at a 1/4 tank which is what I think Ive got, but I think thats coincidence.

the_merv 03-08-2012 09:55 PM

1998 is a one-year only fuel setup from what I have seen..you may have to get a 1999 Cluster and wire it Serial Data.

Rich92RS 03-09-2012 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by the_merv (Post 16060645)
1998 is a one-year only fuel setup from what I have seen..you may have to get a 1999 Cluster and wire it Serial Data.

If thats the case, I may end up running a autometer gauge for the time being.

Michael Henry 04-24-2018 05:02 PM

Gas Gage 98 camaro fuel gauge

I want to hook up after market fuel gauge can somebody tell me how to wire it derect