Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the MAF interchange but I'd think it would at least try to fire. Have you tried a noid light on the inj's to see if the ECM is commanding them to fire during cranking?

If you hook up a scan tool do you see data on the CAN bus while cranking? Have heard of some people having problem with no power to ECM during cranking.

I did my own harness/fuse panel starting from a '08 Express van harness.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bhop-I did do a write entire and still nothing.

71403-I didn't have a noid light but I used a 194 bulb in the injector plug and I had no pulse. I have ignition positive but no ground pulse.
On your van harness, which wires did you eliminate or have left over from your ecm connectors? And which fuses and relays did you utilize from the fuse box?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Removed rear O2's, fuel tank stuff, A/C stuff. Kept factory oil pressure sender as it's required for VVT operation.

Retained all powertrain related fuses in the new panel (Bussman universal panel)

I'm not near my LY6 so I can't test but I think there is CANbus data during cranking. If not somehow the ECM is loosing power. or ground. Doesn't HP Tuners have a datalogger/scan tool? If you had the ECM connectors open double check all pins are fully seated and didn't back out when pushed in. Had a problem with the added tach output pin doing that. Not a huge fan of those MX123 connectors.

BTW, nice job on the fuel tank. Did you make the piece that recesses into the tank?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe that's my problem. I took the factory oil pressure sender out to run my speedhut gauge because I didn't realize it was required. Is it required to run or just for the VVT?
Thanks, I liked how the fuel tank turned out. I made a cardboard mockup and my sheetmetal buddy bent one up for me. I can get you the dimensions if you'd like.
I didn't mess with the car too much last night because a friend of mine needed an exhaust manifold changed on his 07 F150. WHAT A PITA!!! I've done them on the 97-03's and they're usually not too bad but the newer ones require a little more disassembly. So needless to say that was my afternoon project and when it was done he decided to hang around the shop and suck beer so all in all I guess it wasn't a total loss!
I have a few other endeavors this weekend so I probably won't get back to it until Sunday afternoon to check a few things out.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

It's not required to run (I'm not using it) but it is required for VVT. The VVT uses oil pressure to control cam phasing. You need to use it.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

It's ALIVE!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RJComins
It's ALIVE!!!!!!
What was the problem?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

What he said. Don't leave us hanging!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

One of my ecm connectors is kinda busted up and doesn't have the latch mechanism so I just wiggled the connectors and pushed them down a little harder and it fired right up. It scared the crap out of me because I wasn't expecting it at all!!!
I still have some work to do so I can run it for any amount of time but I'm extremely excited that it's running!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Default Speedo Info?!?!?

Anyone out there have any info on a single wire speedo connection for a 6L90E? I may have purchased my speedhut gauges a little prematurely not realizing the difficulty of finding the vss from the 6 speed auto. I do believe that it is conducted via the high speed data bus but my question is, can I just tap into one of the twisted pair wires to get my speed signal or is there a speedo output coming from the bcm? Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

BTW, I'd like to thank the people out there who showed an interest in trying to troubleshoot my non starting issues. Those would mainly include Buddyholly, bhop, and 71403. Thanks again guys for sharing your time and extended knowledge with me!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Launching!

This is a great thread, I read the whole thing! Great work on the car! I had previously started a build thread on putting an LQ4 into my old 68 Chevelle, but abandoned ship when I decided that I wanted to get back to a 71-72 body. Unfortunately no LSx for the 72 I now have, I've decided to keep the warmed over 355 and fuel inject it via MegaSquirt.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

On mine w/ 4L80e I run a DRAC/VSSB in parallel with the TOSS since I gave up getting the VSS output on the E38 to do anything aside from 128k/ppm ABS. It works - ECM/TCM and speedo are happy. On the 6L90 is the raw VSS signal exposed?

I use Tunercat but got to look at HPTuners and there is a section to change the VSS output type from ABS to speedo. Someone with more knowledge than me can say if a segment swap for the speedo section is required. Eg, truck OS might not be able to do a "normal" speedo output only ABS.

E38 Vette OS supposedly has a "normal" VSS output but you loose VVT?

This thread leaves more questions than answers but might shed some light:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...t=26404&page=3

Last resort might be a dakota digital box to downconvert the 128k ABS signal to something useable for your speedo.

Originally Posted by RJComins
Anyone out there have any info on a single wire speedo connection for a 6L90E? I may have purchased my speedhut gauges a little prematurely not realizing the difficulty of finding the vss from the 6 speed auto. I do believe that it is conducted via the high speed data bus but my question is, can I just tap into one of the twisted pair wires to get my speed signal or is there a speedo output coming from the bcm? Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is what I plan on doing. According to my chart the VSS signal is pin 57 at connector J1 on the E38 ecm. That is a yellow black wire.

I will also be adding a white wire to pin 48 of the same connector to pick up my tack signal. I understand with the tach signal you need a 1K pull-up resistor with 12v on the other end of the resistor.

These signals may have to be activated by reprogramming the E38 ECM. I have them on my reprogramming list just in case. I will be running an L92/6L80E with an E38 ECM. It appears that those in the above link are trying to run a different setup.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 06-28-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Do you know if this has been done before? I'm not questioning you just that I had assumed that wire was an input from the ABS system control module which would not send a signal from the ecm but receive one from the ABS system. Either way, I'm not sure what it's function is or if it can be changed but it's definately worth a try. I'll get at this weekend and let you know if it works! Thanks!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Default Updated pics

Here are just a few update pics of my steam vent line route, pcv catch can, fuse block relocation, and intake tube.
Attached Thumbnails LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle-2012-6-25-steam-vent.jpg   LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle-2012-6-25-steam-vent-1-.jpg   LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle-2012-6-25-pcv-catch-can.jpg   LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle-2012-6-25-intake-tube.jpg   LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle-2012-6-22-fuse-block-relocation-1-.jpg  

Last edited by RJComins; 12-06-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Finally got it out on the road! Stuck in 3rd gear and only lets me rev to 4000, I guess I now know what limp mode is! The main thing is that the exhaust is on, seats are in and if I clear the DTC's before I start it I can take it for a ride and it'll shift properly. It seems that WOT is where it shifts the best and at cruising speeds it acts kinda funny, like it's looking for a gear. I also realized that I didn't change anything in the tune for the LS3 intake and injectors that I installed and wondering if this is hindering me in any way? If so, does anyone have the info that I would need to get it close to par with HP Tuners?
I guess another thing is that when I step on from a dead stop, it hesitates for quite a while then it takes off like crazy but not enough that it'll spin a tire. Not sure if it has something to do with the injectors or that I'm using an Impala pedal vs. the truck pedal? Any takers???
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Solve the DTC's before going further but 1st guess would be torque management.

Stock LY6 cal is very agressive on the part throttle VVT (aka EGR)
Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default DTC's

I got rid of the ignition circuit code and the trans is doing what it should after numerous key cycles. This is thanks to c4lhozwalte!
The codes that I have left on are all evap codes and crank position not learned. Is there a way to totally disable these to get the check engine light to go off or will it always be on?
I guess I jumped the gun when I said the trans is doing what it should. It is shifting but it seems to lug @ low load or cruising speed. Not sure exactly why it's acting this way!
Anyway this is a pic that I've been meaning to post. It's from way back when my dad used the car as his work car and it was his truck! Don't laugh but keep in mind this from the mid 70's!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old Pics 1976.pdf (93.4 KB, 284 views)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bhop42
It's not required to run (I'm not using it) but it is required for VVT. The VVT uses oil pressure to control cam phasing. You need to use it.
bhop & RJComins,
Can you elaborate? I just looked at this and I also have an LY6 (actually L96 flexfuel version) and I kept VVT but replaced the stock oil pressure sensor to also mount my Speedhut gauge sensor. Yes VVT needs oil pressure to work, but does it somehow need the factory sensor still in the system? RJComins, did you have to do anything different to your oil pressure sensor to get this to work? I hope I am only days away from firing and am hoping I don't have an issue I wasn't aware of.

Thx!!!!

Quick Reply: LY6 with 6L90E in 72 Chevelle