Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls motors vs Early gen SBC

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ls1 is a great motor.

But this isnt a ls1 vs lt1 debate. the lt1 is very limited in market unlike the SBC.

the sbc has a huge aftermarket. there is a huge difference in technology since the 1950 and 1960s. The modern heads and cams really open up the small block. Not only that but to assume if you run a sbc you have to run a carb is just silly. there are plenty of fuel injection setups. the one fast makes is expensive but nice and self learning.

some will argue the point that doing all that will cost more then picking up a used ls1. But do you really want to put in a used ls1? I put a used lt1 in my car with 92k on it and pulled it right back out because it had no oil pressure form a junk yard that is supposed to be reputable and said it had good pressure. Not only that but you will need to modify the car to accept the ls1 which involve additional costs.

I would argue the fact that there is nothing you could do to an lsx engine that you couldnt do to a SBC.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 AM
tb3
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by futureuser
Quick answer: Yes. No. Sometimes, sort of and pretty much.
Ha...good one futureuser. So Is the block the same as LS or something???
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 AM
tb3
Teching In

Alright what the hell. I just did some research on a LY6...... Ly and LM motors which seem to be vortec... Am I missing something as far as vortec motors being hopped up just as well as LS motors? Or are there only certain odd ball vortec motors that are in the LS family... I was once confused but now I feel f'ing retarded..... Great! Help anyone?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

Read the Wiki article!!! Will explain everything.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
tb3
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

Read the Wiki article!!! Will explain everything.
Thank you but I have already read it numerous times. Igot a little confused once people started talking about LY6 motors and then I looked up vortec engines and it looks like (unless I am mistaken) that these engines are pretty damn good in stock form and some of them are great to hop up. As seen by many magazine articles.... From my understanding is that its not necessarily just LS motors that should be candidates to swap but many Gen III and Gen IV motors in general...
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Gen 3 and Gen 4 are considered "LS" engines whether you have an LS3 or an LM7. The Vortec name has been used since the early 90s on 4.3s, 305s, and 350s. The LS truck motors go by Vortec as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tb3
Thank you but I have already read it numerous times. Igot a little confused once people started talking about LY6 motors and then I looked up vortec engines and it looks like (unless I am mistaken) that these engines are pretty damn good in stock form and some of them are great to hop up. As seen by many magazine articles.... From my understanding is that its not necessarily just LS motors that should be candidates to swap but many Gen III and Gen IV motors in general...

Ok, I'll assume that you're confused and not some Honda fan spoofing us. Imagine a long time ago, GM made small block Chevy engines and big blocks. Then, gm wanted to build a better and more efficient V8 that could replace both. They did. The first new v8 was in the 97 Corvette, called the LS1. The year after, this new design found it's way into Camaros, Firebirds and trucks.

There are many designations (or names) for this new design engine, but because the first was LS1, it is known as LS. This new design engine is also known as gen 3. There is no interchangeability with previous big or small block engines, known as Gen 2 or 1. The gen 4 V8 is just a newer gen 3 with only minor changes and mostly compatible.

Here are a few differences between car and truck gen 3/4 "LS" engines. Cars never had 4.8/5.3 Liters except for a small handful of front drive 5.3L Impalas, grand prix and LaCross Super. Trucks never had 5.7 Liters (346 c.i.) like cars. All 5.7 liters are LS1/6 engines. All newer rear wheel drive V8 manual transmission cars are "real LS," known as LS1,2,3,6,7,9 engines. No cars have iron blocks. Most trucks have iron blocks.

Now read this over a few times.

Vortec engines are simply truck engines, and the term has no relevance as to which design or generation it is.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 AM
tb3
Teching In

Ok, I'll assume that you're confused and not some Honda fan spoofing us. Imagine a long time ago, GM made small block Chevy engines and big blocks. Then, gm wanted to build a better and more efficient V8 that could replace both. They did. The first new v8 was in the 97 Corvette, called the LS1. The year after, this new design found it's way into Camaros, Firebirds and trucks.

There are many designations (or names) for this new design engine, but because the first was LS1, it is known as LS. This new design engine is also known as gen 3. There is no interchangeability with previous big or small block engines, known as Gen 2 or 1. The gen 4 V8 is just a newer gen 3 with only minor changes and mostly compatible.

Here are a few differences between car and truck gen 3/4 "LS" engines. Cars never had 4.8/5.3 Liters except for a small handful of front drive 5.3L Impalas, grand prix and LaCross Super. Trucks never had 5.7 Liters (346 c.i.) like cars. All 5.7 liters are LS1/6 engines. All newer rear wheel drive V8 manual transmission cars are "real LS," known as LS1,2,3,6,7,9 engines. No cars have iron blocks. Most trucks have iron blocks.

Now read this over a few times.

Vortec engines are simply truck engines, and the term has no relevance as to which design or generation it is.
NIce. Thanks that is along the line of what I thought.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 PM
tb3
Teching In

Another question about the truck engines LY6 and other..... Do many of them have T56 trannies backing them??? I am looking to see if I can get a LQ4 LQ9 or LY6 with a tranny but I would like a manual....
Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

I have my not so bright moments, but you're really acting dim, dude. When is the last time you saw a gm truck with a 6 speed?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 AM
tb3
Teching In

I have my not so bright moments, but you're really acting dim, dude. When is the last time you saw a gm truck with a 6 speed?
True.... Disregard that last post.... Wasnt thinking.

Anyhow. I see you used Co part for your engine... Is that a good source for these? I was told that one has to be a sort of parts dealer to use co part... was I given false info?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

You can still run a t-56 behind a truck motor if you want to.

Co-part worked out great for me, but I got lucky and a spent two mornings walking the yard. I didn't need any sort of dealer license but I have heard that in some places you do. If you can spare some time, deal with a whole vehicle and get the right price, this is a great way to go.

Also, check out car-part.com
Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Default mileage???

Don't believe all the "Hype" about 20+mpg LS's. Got a carbed 6.2 with some nice "mild tricks". Recurved ignition repeatedly,carb is dead on...10-11 mpg. Older Gen1 355,Dart heads etc,Same vehicle,same carb,,, 14-16 mpg.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cuda620
Don't believe all the "Hype" about 20+mpg LS's. Got a carbed 6.2 with some nice "mild tricks". Recurved ignition repeatedly,carb is dead on...10-11 mpg. Older Gen1 355,Dart heads etc,Same vehicle,same carb,,, 14-16 mpg.
What trans and gearing?

LS motors definitely make more power with less cam than the first gens. A product of better flowing heads and roller cam profiles. In that sense a comparably built LS should do better than the first gen. Of course mate that with a non-overdrive trans and your mileage will suck.

Not sure what hype there is about my carb'd LS2 getting 25+ mpg. I don't check the mileage much but it does 25 mpg every time I bother to check it.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe you have the wrong carb for the motor then if your mileage dropped that much.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rp0029
"When I build a motor I want to do it right the first time and do it once."

My 68 camaro had a carbed 383. It would pull a stump. I put in a 6.0. 383 would sputter, die on hard braking, and once I had it all dialed in the temp or humidity would change and the car would be all out of whack. Carbs are a pain. I wouldn't trade the 6.0 for anything, even if someone handed me a free complete BBC.

Go with an LS motor. You want a daily driven car. Take the 6.0, put $600 LS3 heads, a $300 LS3 pull-off intake w/injectors and a 220-230 ish cam and you'll put down 400 at the wheels. Gas mileage will be greatly improved.
I do believe that the LS will cost more, but when you have a car that you can just turn the key and GO with no hassles, no worries, you will appreciate the fuel injection.
Take a look at futureuser's thread on here for his 69 camaro.
My thoughts exactly , you want a daily driver , you want efi , carbs do suck
Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default mileage???

Hi Pop n wood. I got lots of info from you and others at the Carbed forum when I did my swap. To elaborate on my "Mileage" thing... Q-jet,non electronic,800 cfm, GMPP dual plane intake. I ran it on my 355 with 4:10's and 34" tires,with a hydraulic 700R4,and lock-up convertor. Same carb, Same setup thruout. Recalibrated carb for less vacuum signal due to cam and other things as necessary. Got the MSD bout where all seems happy. Runs great,cept long cam,Which could be the cause.12"-13" vacuum @ 900 RPM. Does have alot more jump than the 355.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

So you have a bigger cam in the LS motor than the first gen? My guess bunch more HP too? That could easily explain MPG difference. What were the cam specs on the two motors?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:05 PM

Default Sound

Has anyone noticed a difference in exhaust note between the two? Might not be a consideration for some but a thumping sbc has always got the blood rushing. I just feel that the LS series sounds different. I wouldnt say bad but just different. Is this due to exhausts used on LS or is it more to do with the accoustics of the alloys and the shapes and angles of exhaust ports or just the different firing order. To me the sound of an angry small block always sounds a little nicer than the LS.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendan Hile
Has anyone noticed a difference in exhaust note between the two? Might not be a consideration for some but a thumping sbc has always got the blood rushing. I just feel that the LS series sounds different. I wouldnt say bad but just different. Is this due to exhausts used on LS or is it more to do with the accoustics of the alloys and the shapes and angles of exhaust ports or just the different firing order. To me the sound of an angry small block always sounds a little nicer than the LS.
The difference is because of the different firing order...

Interesting first post...

Andrew

Quick Reply: Ls motors vs Early gen SBC