Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls motors vs Early gen SBC

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,350 Posts

I would bet a single exhaust version of each would sound very similar since all 8 are in the mix..
Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There really shouldnt be much to debate here. EFI LS engines are superior to old carbed smallblocks, period. If you decide to go LS, dont be intimidated by EFI, thats what really makes LS swaps worth it. You will spend more money to do a carb setup and get less driveability and less gas mileage. Why pay more for less? If you are adamant on using a carb, then keep the 400.

Theres more great things about LS engines that havent really been touched on yet on this post. It seems like the engineers that designed the LS engines knew what made SBC's a pain in the *** to work on.

For instance: Removing the intake is ridiculously simple with LS engines. You dont have to worry about dumping coolant everywhere because the intake is "dry." You can reuse the intake gaskets when you pop the intake, and the gaskets have a clip that makes them stick to the intake, instead of having to get silicone everywhere.

Cam swaps in LS engines. You dont even have to remove the lifters. The lifters will stick in place when you swap out the cam.

LS engines gaskets are superior, they wont leak like an old SBC.

LS engines run cleaner

You dont need to let LS engines warm up before driving. I jump in my chevelle, fire the engine up and go.

Troubleshooting LS engines is super simple. Plug in a scanner to the OBD2 port and it literally tells you whats wrong with your engine.

Ive had a SBC, a BBC, and now an LS. I drive the Chevelle now more than ever. For a daily driver, there is no question, go with LS. You wont be sorry.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty454
Troubleshooting LS engines is super simple. Plug in a scanner to the OBD2 port and it literally tells you whats wrong with your engine..
Agree with most everything you say but this one simply hasn't been true for me. Out of all the OBDII vehicles I've owned only twice has the stupid error code actually told me something useful. Every other time it has been some sort of age related issue with gaskets, cracked vacuum hoses or dirty intake parts. If you look through the list of OBDII codes probably 95% of them are related to the some overly complicated sensor that is smog or EFI related, problems that won't exist with a non-computer controlled motor.

By the way, you shouldn't have let the first gens warm up before driving either. They heat up more quickly when driven gently. Gotta get them off the choke, putting a normal load on the motor helps with that.

Speaking of exhaust notes, the new mustangs have a super nice sound. Not sure if that is the base models or if I keep hearing the one with the flat plane crank.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lol

Originally Posted by rp0029
There is a reason GM has been using efi for the last 25 years. For a driver, it is the best option. It just works. I would NOT use a carb.
most efi is junk facts if your a actual builder and know things
Old 08-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smitty454
There really shouldnt be much to debate here. EFI LS engines are superior to old carbed smallblocks, period. If you decide to go LS, dont be intimidated by EFI, thats what really makes LS swaps worth it. You will spend more money to do a carb setup and get less driveability and less gas mileage. Why pay more for less? If you are adamant on using a carb, then keep the 400.

Theres more great things about LS engines that havent really been touched on yet on this post. It seems like the engineers that designed the LS engines knew what made SBC's a pain in the *** to work on.

For instance: Removing the intake is ridiculously simple with LS engines. You dont have to worry about dumping coolant everywhere because the intake is "dry." You can reuse the intake gaskets when you pop the intake, and the gaskets have a clip that makes them stick to the intake, instead of having to get silicone everywhere.

Cam swaps in LS engines. You dont even have to remove the lifters. The lifters will stick in place when you swap out the cam.

LS engines gaskets are superior, they wont leak like an old SBC.

LS engines run cleaner

You dont need to let LS engines warm up before driving. I jump in my chevelle, fire the engine up and go.

Troubleshooting LS engines is super simple. Plug in a scanner to the OBD2 port and it literally tells you whats wrong with your engine.

Ive had a SBC, a BBC, and now an LS. I drive the Chevelle now more than ever. For a daily driver, there is no question, go with LS. You wont be sorry.
wrong they do not run cleaner
Old 08-03-2020, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirey97
most efi is junk facts if your a actual builder and know things
wrong they do not run cleaner
Got bored today and decided to go out for a little troll?

Andrew
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Got bored today and decided to go out for a little troll?

Andrew
Must be. This guy doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Riiiiiiight!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Teching In

most of you say **** completely by opinion an not facts I rather help an op the right way been building motors 35 years race late models as well for 10 years. You got the ******* thing backwards dummy
Old 08-03-2020, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

most of you say **** completely by opinion an not facts I rather help an op the right way been building motors 35 years race late models as well for 10 years. You got the ******* thing backwards dummy
You're living in the past, man. I'm 68 and know better than to do that....
Old 08-03-2020, 11:46 PM
Teching In

You're living in the past, man. I'm 68 and know better than to do that....
age don't matter and there aint no such thing as "past" if you know what your doing which obviously you don't if your gunna argue about efi and carbs not saying all efi is bad for example I ain't running no spider injection over 650 holley vaccum secondary common sense! An we also just don't throw carbs on a motor and say its good we fine tune obviously with vacuum gauges and afr gauges etc everyone knows that we do other things as well our trucks late models run just fine like they have for years obviously. Carbs don't break motors 80 percent of the time its timing issues!
Old 08-04-2020, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you're mentioning "spider injection" that already dates you. That was strictly a crude early EFI system used only on trucks on the last of the sbc truck engines.
Of course you would tune a carb to a tee, but they don't stay tuned as well as EFI by a long shot.
You're right, carbs don't break. They varnish and gum up because gasoline is exposed to air as soon as it's in the float bowl.
EFI does not gum up to nearly the same extent because fuel never sees air after leaving the tank until it's injected. Injectors rarely gum up.
Timing issues? NEVER happens with EFI/coil-on-plug ignition once tuned. Set and forget. Plugs last a lot longer too, because of a much better spark from 8 separate coils instead of all cylinders sharing one. Only one reason LS's run more economically and cleaner, which is only one reason GM went to it. Another reason is LS heads flow MUCH more than sbc heads due to better design like reduced valve angle and smoother and more efficient port design.
So you've been building engines for 35 years, 10 years in "late models" where only sbc's are raced because of how the rules are written. Give the LS as much race development time as the sbc and it will mop the floor with it. It's just a better engine.
Name the main reason you think the sbc is the better engine, besides you liking it better.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:29 AM
Teching In

If you're mentioning "spider injection" that already dates you. That was strictly a crude early EFI system used only on trucks on the last of the sbc truck engines.
Of course you would tune a carb to a tee, but they don't stay tuned as well as EFI by a long shot.
You're right, carbs don't break. They varnish and gum up because gasoline is exposed to air as soon as it's in the float bowl.
EFI does not gum up to nearly the same extent because fuel never sees air after leaving the tank until it's injected. Injectors rarely gum up.
Timing issues? NEVER happens with EFI/coil-on-plug ignition once tuned. Set and forget. Plugs last a lot longer too, because of a much better spark from 8 separate coils instead of all cylinders sharing one. Only one reason LS's run more economically and cleaner, which is only one reason GM went to it. Another reason is LS heads flow MUCH more than sbc heads due to better design like reduced valve angle and smoother and more efficient port design.
So you've been building engines for 35 years, 10 years in "late models" where only sbc's are raced because of how the rules are written. Give the LS as much race development time as the sbc and it will mop the floor with it. It's just a better engine.
Name the main reason you think the sbc is the better engine, besides you liking it better.
mop the floor!? Lol there getting beat constantly at tracks go watch my friends channel billy at street racing channel on youtube with a carbed 400 sbc making over 1300hp then we'll talk with many others doing the same today anything can be built to be exact just hard for you ls gods to understand. Again the spider injection was an example and todays gas don't gum up once again your off on that maybe a secondary stumble at start up if you get on it few pumps its gone omg! An tuning I don't have to "constantly tune" your literally saying **** that millions of others say with no experience that sane is beyond old! With billys truck we do but at them levels so are the efi guys while we wait at the light for them to get those computers setup! Spark has done been proven bud sorry hei systems are just as good. We've had guys like you at my buddys dyno shop that we use in bonner springs ks on fridays we all hangout mess around and we put efi an carb side by side showing all whats goin on especially everyones afr myth you do realize they all bounce around right? Lol both motors stayed in the same range through the rpm range. Timing well its pretty simple for us never blew a carbed motor because of it awesome your pcm does it by itself idc. I've built 5 ls motors for friends in the racing community I know whats going on you don't have to yell at me about it there pretty good motors an I've built 5.7 vortecs have one now in a 97 silverado thats carbed and eats ls all day hell in stock form there better in torque an run side by side with 5.3s but you better have that ebay turbo if your gunna run me now lol. Todays tech is awesome for all motors so honeslty its perspective but I really do love the thump an sound of a sbc ls sounds like 10,000 cats stuck in a coffee can plus ugly stance in my opinion. Carbs today with holleys updates edelbrocks new line of the avs2 alot of new guys have come out now as well there ain't one damn thing wrong with I them use as DD everyday the truck is at 457hp and amazing year around here in Missouri. You sound like a holley sniper dealer man lol have a good one! Checkout that channel and for people here who actually wanna learn carburetors check out uncle tonys garage on youtube etc i can't give out secrets obviously racing rule 101.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

You keep mentioning the track. That is the one place carbs have any dominance for the reasons you state.
But on the street, EFI rules. Millions go 2-300k miles without touching anything in the fuel system but maybe changing out the fuel filter if/when needed.
The difference in sound might just be the firing order change, which if used in a small block, would actually let it last longer. Easier on the crank.
Admittedly the 5.3 is not a low end torque champ. But give it a length and it will keep it. They excel in horsepower more than low end torque. Plus they are more economical. My 04 Tahoe is older Gen III tech but still gets 21mpg on the highway, maybe not important to you but is to many of us. The sbc can't touch that.
Superior ignition. Superior fuel system. Superior cooling system. Better oil system.
I see your points from a limited (circle/dirt track) racing standpoint. But on the street, LS rules.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:38 AM
Teching In

You keep mentioning the track. That is the one place carbs have any dominance for the reasons you state.
But on the street, EFI rules. Millions go 2-300k miles without touching anything in the fuel system but maybe changing out the fuel filter if/when needed.
The difference in sound might just be the firing order change, which if used in a small block, would actually let it last longer. Easier on the crank.
Admittedly the 5.3 is not a low end torque champ. But give it a length and it will keep it. They excel in horsepower more than low end torque. Plus they are more economical. My 04 Tahoe is older Gen III tech but still gets 21mpg on the highway, maybe not important to you but is to many of us. The sbc can't touch that.
Superior ignition. Superior fuel system. Superior cooling system. Better oil system.
I see your points from a limited (circle/dirt track) racing standpoint. But on the street, LS rules.
no they don't rule lol your an idiot man just move on done talkin
Old 08-04-2020, 10:43 AM
Teching In

i get 18mpg with truck by the way your point? You have no experience nor know a damn thing obviously dude like most in here as we leave forums this is where you belong! Goodluck an keep losing
Old 08-04-2020, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

no they don't rule lol your an idiot man just move on done talkin
i get 18mpg with truck by the way your point? You have no experience nor know a damn thing obviously dude like most in here as we leave forums this is where you belong! Goodluck an keep losing
Fine, keep being a dinosaur. You obviously have no idea of what I have or haven't done, just pure guessing. You know nothing about me.
I don't go shooting my mouth off about what a great racer I THINK I am. You obviously feel the need to do so.
And if you can't keep from badmouthing ( I haven't said one negative thing SO FAR) you might learn when to keep your stupid mouth shut.
You're in an LS forum. Your opinions are outnumbered here, besides being yesterday's news. Keep losing, dinosaur.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Fine, keep being a dinosaur. You obviously have no idea of what I have or haven't done, just pure guessing. You know nothing about me.
I don't go shooting my mouth off about what a great racer I THINK I am. You obviously feel the need to do so.
And if you can't keep from badmouthing ( I haven't said one negative thing SO FAR) you might learn when to keep your stupid mouth shut.
You're in an LS forum. Your opinions are outnumbered here, besides being yesterday's news. Keep losing, dinosaur.
have a good one!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Don't feed the trolls...
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
G Atsma (08-04-2020), gofastwclass (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Don't feed the trolls...
Yep, I always get suckered in by the untrainable.... LOL

Quick Reply: Ls motors vs Early gen SBC