Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L into chevelle???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3L into chevelle???

Hi guys, I am fairly new to LS1tech and to these LSX style engines. I am wanting to put one in my 69 chevelle. I have a LM7 5.3L for it (I really want a 6.0L) but I am wondering what kind of oil pan to use? Do I need to change the intake to clearance under the hood or not? If I can use the truck accesories or not? What exhaust do I use? I am not trying to build a hot rod, just something that I can drive everyday with reliablity, performance and economy. I am sure someone on here has put one in a chevelle before any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

I just put one in an 80 camino and reading the forums quite a bit here is what ive found. You can fit the truck intake under your hood . Quite a few factors to that though . Which adapter/motor mounts you use. All the reading and in my experience the 1" setback plates put the engine in a nice place regarding the frame/steering box with truck accessories.Ran into issues with the truck ps pump with the stock location mounts(Hits the steering box). Exhaust ,The passenger truck will probably clear good, the driver will most likely dump onto the frame.You can modify the truck manifold by cutting it and changing the angle and welding it up or find a set of f-body exhaust manifolds . And if your arent on a tight budget there are a few sets of headers the will fit nicely that ive seen . Oil Pans are a pain in the ****.
In my case i had to sit the engine lower in the frame to clear my hood. You can discard the truck oil pan unless your are gonna lift the car. With the stock motor mounts it hangs low. The gm muscle car pan is really just 1 " shorter so you will still be hanging at least 1 " lower than the x-member . If you can handle 1" its a cheap route. The f-body and cts-v pan are 2 good stock choices. Aftermarket .. They are all roughly 300-400 And the autokraft pan is
the one i like. I found one that is made like the autokraft for $270 (Offered 210 and won). With the pickup on ebay . Maybe someone that has done a chevelle will chime in but i have seen pictures of a few that have been done . I dont think hood clearance with your car would be an issue with whatever mounts but i could be wrong. If you decide to run an ls 1/6 intake though you will have to go electric fans and more than likely a ls waterpump as the water outlet is in the way of the tb. As far as the truck accessories with the ls intake it looked as if you could run them but the alternator would sit higher than the intake . On a second thought .. the idler pully on the truck accessories also get in the way . But you can relocate it and make it work i believe.
Hope it helped some. Ill get pics of my pan as soon as it comes in . And share with everyone . I was looking at 100-200 for the stock pans and having to modify frames for clearance or move the engine back more . The autokraft pan is well built, fits like a glove and is praised by many before me . Just 400 bucks.

Good luck with your swap!

Last edited by Emdmechanic; 04-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Try a search. There are ,many posts about this swap....
Old 04-17-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the FAQ, There is a A-body Thread that lists link to most of all of the A-body project threads. Do you research..

The LM7 / 5.3L is a good one to start wth, you have read most of the Magazine have done test and upgraded. 350+ is easy.. most of the mag one are pushing 450+ with head/cam changes and some good tuning. Add a Turbo or Blower. .you got 500+ without too much trouble.

Many pans are on the market from OEM to aftermarket Steel and Alum ones. They have all been used in the A-body swaps. I use a CTS-V pan myself. But for a cast Alum one, I would recommend the Holley or the MAST one. For the Steel one, most require remote oil filter. AutoKraft is one that doesn't.

As noted, the Truck intake can work, but you need to keep the engine back and lower.

The F-body exhaust manifold will fit well. The Center Exit Vette ones will be a problem with the Crossmember. The truck ones have been known to contact the frame and steering box... so no go unless you flip them for a turbo..

but do your research and then ask some more questions.

BC
Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BCZEE has an awsome build, I'm quite impressed. You can read my build, I did mine as cheap as possible and the actual engine install I have less than $1600 in but add on the extras and I'm about $2900 and the only big thing left is the injectors. LS engines are the way to go. Good luck and if you need help don't hesitate to ask questions.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I will keep looking into it and scrounge up some more questions for ya'll. What kind of fuel milage is everyone getting with these swaps?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

99 Thanks for the good words... great two tone paint job too !

there are many great project thread and others with great information.

I am getting 26mpg on the highway. That is doing 70-75mph and with 4.11's out back

BC
Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure on my MPG, but I am getting better with 4.8/th350 than with the BBC/700r4.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just like everyone else says, this is a basic swap. My best advice is to choose 1 path and follow it to the end. If you jump from one path to another you may encounter challenges. Not all swap parts are truly interchangeable with one another, so beware. Just because it sounds cheap, does not really mean it will be.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I finished the 5.3 in my 442 about a year ago. Link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...442-build.html

I'm getting low 20s city/hiway as a daily driver.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Nice 442, thats sweet!!!

bczee, sounds like a fun car to drive all the time. I am running 3.55 in the back so I think I will be in the same range. Thats what I am looking for. I will keep you all posted.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah.. With an overdrive Tranny, you should get close to 30 if you get it tuned and keep you foot out of it (LOL.. like that is going to happen).

I drive my everywhere, tho not a daily drive, it gets driven 2-3 times a week to most of the GTG and show. I drive it to Reno every year for Hot August Nights.

I have taken it to the strip and Auto-X it.

Fun.. that is an understatement ! LOL you wait. you'll see

BC

Last edited by bczee; 04-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 528 Likes on 334 Posts

I think a company out there sells a Muscle pan? Not sure what the name is though.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The GM Muscle pan is nothing more than the H3 / LH8 pan. Known to hang down pass most early GM car's Crossmember. Depending on how high you mount the engine.

Any GM Dealer, SDPC has good prices most of the time.

BC
Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Step up and buy the right pan first. Like bczee says the LH8 is a disaster looking for a place to happen. Making the investment in the pan now will make the rest of your swap go that much smoother. Several manufacturers offer pans that fit like a glove.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Skip the muscle car pan, way too deep. If you're running close to stock ride height the CTS-V pan works well. It's less than 1" below the crossmember.
Name:  DSCN0286.jpg
Views: 2779
Size:  63.2 KB
Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Teching In

I saw those GM pans last night on the internet. I may be looking for a CTS-v pan, any where I should look to get the best deal?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

I used a F-Body oil pan and exhaust manifolds on my 05 5.3 swap. Also used truck acessories. The oil pan was a tight fit to get in the car with tranny attached to the motor. I have the factory cowl hood on my 71 chevelle and the intake and plastic cover all fit under it without an issue.However i dont believe it would work with your hood since the 69's dont have that style of hood. An aftermarket cowl hood may get you the clearance you need? As far as mounts go I made my own then just unbolted the frame stands and moved them on the crossmember to some existing holes and bolted them back in.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spot_55
I used a F-Body oil pan and exhaust manifolds on my 05 5.3 swap. Also used truck acessories. The oil pan was a tight fit to get in the car with tranny attached to the motor. I have the factory cowl hood on my 71 chevelle and the intake and plastic cover all fit under it without an issue.However i dont believe it would work with your hood since the 69's dont have that style of hood. An aftermarket cowl hood may get you the clearance you need? As far as mounts go I made my own then just unbolted the frame stands and moved them on the crossmember to some existing holes and bolted them back in.
same here. I purchased a new kit from BRP recently and it did not allow placement with the camaro pan. I cut the mounts part and repositioned them so it would fit. My camaro pan is flush to slightly above the crossmember.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used the holley pan and im pleased with it.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3L into chevelle???-2012-03-08_17-34-28_264.jpg   5.3L into chevelle???-2012-03-08_17-34-55_994.jpg  

Quick Reply: 5.3L into chevelle???