Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone educate me on fuel fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Someone educate me on fuel fittings

Ok, I am running a stock 5.3. My engine has the regulator/return at the rail, so I don't need the Vette filter/regulator.

I have 20 feet of new 3/8 stainless steel lines, and a 6 ft section of 6AN 1500psi braided, and another 3 ft section of 6AN 1500psi braided. I have NO fittings, as I am a total novice to building a fuel system and don't know what to buy.

I will start from the rear of the vehicle

-Fuel sump (2 fittings there for in/out. Not sure if I should set it up for hard lines there or braided)

-Inlet filter

-Walbro pump (this came with the two little fittings that screw into it for 6AN fittings to screw to)

-Outlet filter

-3/8 quick connect adapter at the rail

-5/16 return line at the rail

What makes sense to me (and I am probably wrong) is running braided line from the sump to the first filter, braided to the inline pump, braided to the second filter, then a fitting to go from braided to hard line to go most of the length of the car, then another fitting to switch back to braided to go from frame to fuel rail. I know I will need the quick connect adapters for both lines at the fuel rail.

QUESTIONS...
1. Does the above make sense, or am I all wrong?
2. Do I need larger than 3/8 line to run the return line back to the tank?
3. If I cannot use the 3/8 hard line for the return, can I use the cheap stuff.....or will it need to be high pressure?

If anyone has a diagram showing the fittings required to make this happen that would be great.

Thanks a lot
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running a 5.3 in a 1958 Fleetside with a cell in the back and a walbro. I can tell you what I did, I have a hydraulic tubing back ground though. I put an 8an male fitting on my sump, them made a 8an hose going to my prepump filter, the 8an line going to the pump then 6 an to the post pump filter. From the filter it is all line up to the motor, then 6an hose to the fuel rail with a 6an adapter. I also ran the return in 6an. hose from motor to frame, line all the way down the frame and a hose from fram back to tank. You can buy AN fittings for you tube and your hose, do you have a flare for the tubing though? You can see a lot of my fuel system on page 4 and 5.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=413961&page=4
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
QUESTIONS...
1. Does the above make sense, or am I all wrong?
2. Do I need larger than 3/8 line to run the return line back to the tank?
3. If I cannot use the 3/8 hard line for the return, can I use the cheap stuff.....or will it need to be high pressure?
1) Generally your ok.
2) 3/8" is good, OEM is usually 5/16"
3) 3/8" hard line is good, Might be easier to use some Braided Host, AN Fitting and Quick Disconnect for to connect the hard to the fitting.

One think I could suggest is Braze or weld AN Bungs to the hard line, that way you can do away with Quick Disconnect's. That is what I do for the Fuel Rail and any thing that I can. its also cheaper that using compression fitting and the QD's. See my project thread's last post by me on my Fuel rail setup.(Nova link in sig).

BC
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in this thread here. I'm also trying to figure out what fittings and hoses I will use. Cause I'm ready to order everything needed for my fuel system.

I'm on my phone and can't link to it, but last night on my desktop I came across a thread with people having issues with russell quick disconnect. Is this still an issue for people with them popping off? I think the thread was made last year.

Fuel tank sending unit will have brazed AN fittings, will be looking for 2004+ truck returnless fuel rails and putting brazed AN fitting on that.

Only thing to have QD fittings would be vette filter/regulator.

Braided fuel lines from tank to filter to rails for me with fittings on hoses.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can read up on many ways of doing your fuel system. Suggest you browse the manufactors Web site or Catalogs.. as they have write up on how to assemble the hose/fittings.

They also have or show what the different type of hose and fittings to use with the different type of hoses and what to use for Fuel, High Pressure, Trans, Power steering, etc.

BC
Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3/8" for the return line back to the tank will be fine. The pressure should be relatively low.

With that being said, I try to use steel hard lines wherever I can. I use hose where there might be movement between components. For instance, on the chassis I would use hard steel lines, but on the line that goes from the chassis to the engine, I would use flexible hose because the engine moves a little relative to the chassis.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the fittings I used and works incredible. I took the return line out of the fuel rail and took a piece of 5/16 rod stock and used it to block off the rail. My A1000 regulator is a return style and I used the sump I had welded in the stock tank for the BBC. The compression style fitting I used on the feed fuel line to convert to -6AN. Used -8AN for the feed and -6AN for the return. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Someone educate me on fuel fittings-dscn1242.jpg   Someone educate me on fuel fittings-dscn1177.jpg   Someone educate me on fuel fittings-dscn1132.jpg   Someone educate me on fuel fittings-dscn1080.jpg   Someone educate me on fuel fittings-dscn1079.jpg  

Someone educate me on fuel fittings-dscn1063.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you for all the replies, it's a huge help.

Now about the fittings...how many will be required and what kind? These are my thoughts:

- fittings to thread into the sump (2x)
- fitting to connect the OUTLET sump fitting to braided hose
- fitting from braided hose to first fuel filter

Here I am a little confused, as I don't know if I need a setup like this:

FITTING/PRE-FILTER/FITTING/PUMP/FITTING/FILTER/FITTING to hard line

or if the filters can screw into the Walbro pump like this:

FITTING/PRE-FILTER/PUMP/FILTER/FITTING to hard line

From the filter forward.....

-hard line up the frame rails to engine compartment
-fitting to end hard line
-fitting to start braided line
-quick connect fitting to fuel rail
-quick connect fitting to return line on fuel rail (to braided line)
-fitting to end braided line
-fitting to start hard line
-fitting to end hard line near the tank
-fitting to start braided line
-fitting to end braided line
-fitting to connect braided line to return in sump

How does that sound? (besides crazy expensive) Are there better ways to do this that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have almost as money in my fuel system as I do in my engine and turbos together.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I have almost as money in my fuel system as I do in my engine and turbos together.
Oh man, you're making me nervous!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok. .Lesson one. Hard lines to AN Fittings.

You have three good options to connect a Hard line to an AN System, I would use as much of the Hard line in the car / truck as possible. You can reconfigure youre current hard lines if they fit the size and are still in good condition.

1) compression fitting - well adapt to a hard line to an AN Fitting (both male or female). See picture posted by 99..

2) use a 37 Degree Flare with a AN tubing Nut and Sleeve. both male and female Fitting

3) Weld/Braze a AN Bung to the hard line, can use both male and female fitting. I have done this on Fuel connections and Transmission lines and will be doing this in my current Nova Project. You can see what I did for the Fuel Rail in some of my last post in my project link (in sig).

From there you can use any number of straight or angle fitting to any number of type of Braided, Rubber, Teflon Line hose.

BC

Quick Reply: Someone educate me on fuel fittings