Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 oil dipstick ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 oil dipstick ?

So I've got an ls2 out of a 08 tbss and it has the hole for the oil dipstick in the pan on the pass side towards the front of the motor, cool right. No because I just bought and mounted a f body pan from the dealer and it has no spot in the pan for the dipstick, so now what do I do ?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The Fbody dipstick mounts through the engine block on the passenger side right above the oil pan, it is about in the center of the block looking front to back if you look closely you will see a little freeze plug about the size of a pencil it has to be knocked out with a punch it is best done with the oil pan off and using the punch on the inside of the crankcase and the Fbody dipstick mounts there. All LS2's I have seen have this provision for mounting a dipstick through the block.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Launching!

I took a picture of what I thought my be the right spot earlier on my phone, if you don't mind can you pm me your email or phone# so I can send it to you to verify if this is the right location.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 08 TBSS motor also....click on the link in my signature and there is a pic in #7 post showing the location the dipstick is inserted.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys, on another note I noticed the f body oil pan is missing a bolt on the drivers side and I couldn't reuse the tray that's mounted inside the oil pan to the bottom of the block because there was interference where the gbody pickup tube mounts to it. Does this also sound correct ?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea the f-body pan uses a different tray than the truck pan. Do a search on trimming the truck tray. I know it is on this site somewhere. You basically trim the front back but I dont remember exactly where. Oh and Im not stalking you, just happened to see the post.LOL
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Can I run it with out that tray ?

Quick Reply: LS2 oil dipstick ?