Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions

I sold my 2006 GTO and bought this and I'm seeking to broaden my understanding of the engine and related drive train.

Here's what I know

LS7 block
wet sump
Compcam (specs unknown)

manifolds, not headers, to a 2.5" pipes which merge to a single 3" pipe, to a hi-flow, to Flowmaster 50 series to a 2.5" tailpipe

Hot air being sucked through massive K&N through custom metal pipe

389.6 hp and 425.9 tq to the wheels on based on a Dynojet sheet from the prior owner. So that's about 450hp & 505 lb of tq at the engine. In the Vette, this engine is 505hp and 475tq, but this is purposefully tuned/built for torque over horsepower.

Here's what I think I know

L92 truck intake

What I don't know, and would like help with

How does a L92 intake mate to a LS7 block? Different heads?

To me, the intake/exhaust setup looks restrictive and leaves room on the table for future gains, not that they're needed, but I'm curious.

I'm a newb with all this, but I change oil and do my own brakes. So I'm just trying to get a better handle on my new "muscle Jeep". Thanks for any feedback that aid in broadening my knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions-pc120011.jpg   LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions-pc120017.jpg   LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions-pc120052.jpg   LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions-pc160066.jpg   LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions-pc120012.jpg  

Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You sure it's not a l92 engine? Those power numbers don't seem anywhere right
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Launching!

It appears to be a truck motor to me, or a TBSS motor( due to intake manifold). That pump appears to be a aftermarket power steering unit instead of a dry sump. It had truck manifolds and accesories as well. What is the 3 didget code on the front corner of the head?
the oil pan also looks like a conventional wet sump pan.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Launching!

http://www.krcpower.com/products/kit-69020010

power steering kit

the oil pan appears to be from a camaro ls1
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by typhoon1015
It appears to be a truck motor to me, or a TBSS motor( due to intake manifold). That pump appears to be a aftermarket power steering unit instead of a dry sump. It had truck manifolds and accesories as well. What is the 3 didget code on the front corner of the head?
the oil pan also looks like a conventional wet sump pan.
I know it's not a dry sump, I got that from the prior owner. The jeep previously had a LS2 GTO engine, it didn't blow the owner's skirt up per say, so he put a 427 Warhawk in it which proceeded to **** fluids all over the dyno. So he wouldn't waste time on a TBSS engine (unless he paid for something he didn't get, which I doubt very much). The block I think came with rings/pistons and the engine was built from there. This was the last effort and he was happy til he couldn't drive anymore. Not much to say here, he could afford it and was used to quick Vettes. I'd rather he still be able to drive it, but I'm happy I bought it.

The 3 digit code is 923, though I give it a 5% chance it could be 823.

The numbers are whacked be cause the focus of the cam is supposed to be torque over horsepower. With a restrictive L92 intake, no headers, hot air, and single exhaust, the numbers should be whacked...right?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Teching In

http://www.krcpower.com/products/kit-69020010

power steering kit

the oil pan appears to be from a camaro ls1
Thanks for the power steering info. I'm making a spreadsheet with all the info in it, and it's great whenever I'm able to nail down a specific part.

The Warhawk prior engine was a bored and sleeved LS1 variant (based on my limited research into it) so that type of LS1 pan may make sense, particularly if it was just sitting around.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Launching!

The heads are l92's with the 823 castings, you can search around here for more info. so that means the heads are rectangular port and would need the corresponding intake. The intake then appears to be a l92 / l76 truck intake
see here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...omparison.html

regarding the possible changes, what are your goals with it? Is this a street jeep, off road etc?

Headers and exhaust could be done, has the computer been tuned? any cam info would help as well.

HTH
Old 12-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Teching In

The heads are l92's with the 823 castings, you can search around here for more info. so that means the heads are rectangular port and would need the corresponding intake. The intake then appears to be a l92 / l76 truck intake
see here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...omparison.html

regarding the possible changes, what are your goals with it? Is this a street jeep, off road etc?

Headers and exhaust could be done, has the computer been tuned? any cam info would help as well.

HTH
This was built in 2007/2008 and the computer was tuned at that time The current vehicle has about 14k on it.

Goals: both street and trail.

Street - I'll occasionally drive it to work or to the store to have a good time dusting off the occasional import or two. I'll probably 1/8th or 1/4 mile it a couple times just to see what it does, but drag racing isn't a hobby. Power wise, what's already there "works" for my goals, but I don't want to leave anything "easy" on the table regarding additional power. I "need" something to tinker with here! It pulls the front passenger wheel about 8" off the ground and barks second bad enough to make you let off for a second as it is.

Trail - I don't care to tear it up doing technical crawling, but this will certainly see muddy creeks, jeep trails, and fire roads. It's currently running 31 x 10.5s with no lift. I may do a 1 inch body lift soon (to fix a mild clearance issue with an extended bracket on the axle) and would probably max at 2" suspension lift & 33's. I would never want to compromise the street ability any more than that. I may very likely just stay at 31's unless I get tired of getting stuck. I may also soon an another skid plate, a cover for the steering assembly, and a rear bumper w/ a tire carrier so that my mt bikes hanging on the spare don't rip the rear gate off.

Quick Reply: LS7 TJ Wrangler, bought it, have questions