Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r4

i want know if i can use a 700r4 out of a 1986 astro van. if so theres a wire thats in the place where the speed cable is. is that the vss? do i have to use a after market speedo?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 700R4 vss or speedo cabel?

Hello boss man, not sure what your question is,

Please contact me for a professional consultation regarding your needs. We are happy to provide you with references both here in the United States and Internationally. Be sure to check out our website at maddogtransmissions.com

Hear what our customers and fans say on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions

We also accept orders over the phone. Be sure to contact us and we will recommend the correct transmission for your application. For your convenience, we accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.

If you prefer, we can call you personally, just e-mail us your phone number.

All our transmissions are very strong and reliable, and can be used for everyday driving. Extended warranties are also available.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions
Old 04-24-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you using a Gen III/IV engine ?..

yes. the sensor / wire that is in place of the Speedo cable is the VSS setup. You can use aftermarket setup, if you have a cable driven speedo, there is the Cable-X converter that will take the VSS signal and drive a cable to your old speedo.

Depending on the bell housing of the trans (V6?), you would need to change bell housing, but you would be better off getting a V8 model trans. If it has the correct Bell housing, You will need to use the correct Flexplate and/or Spacer as the crank to input shaft of the TQ is of a different legnth (depending on what year, model of engine and trans they are).

Bottom line, you need to provide more info...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bczee
Are you using a Gen III/IV engine ?..

yes. the sensor / wire that is in place of the Speedo cable is the VSS setup. You can use aftermarket setup, if you have a cable driven speedo, there is the Cable-X converter that will take the VSS signal and drive a cable to your old speedo.

Depending on the bell housing of the trans (V6?), you would need to change bell housing, but you would be better off getting a V8 model trans. If it has the correct Bell housing, You will need to use the correct Flexplate and/or Spacer as the crank to input shaft of the TQ is of a different legnth (depending on what year, model of engine and trans they are).

Bottom line, you need to provide more info...
i have a 5.3 out of 2000 silverado. have crank spacer. the trans is a v-6 trans out 85 astro. im currently using the stock trans off my 305. it bolts up off my 79.700r4-5.3-swap-4-.jpg
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

not for long.....

If your going carbed, then you could upgrade it to V8 specs. 4.3 v6 and v8 versions have different inter changeable internals due to the increased torque of the v8. The 2.8 version is good for almost nothing.
But you need to get an e trans to mate up with the pcm for the 5.3.

87 1/2 is considered the first year of a decent 700/4L60.
The 85 version is really a waste of money unless your going to drive it easy all the time. - and put a carb on it-

Jagsthatrun has an adapter to allow you to have a vss and cable speedo.

need more info to clarify what you could do.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had built 700r4 behind BBC and it grenades every 6 months. Junk, when I put my stock 4.8 in it broke twice in the first week. Have the th350 in now untill I can afford 4l80e.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. i guess i'll save my money and buy a better one. i also found a trans out of an 1994 road master. i know its a elec. trans how do i get that to work

Quick Reply: 700r4