Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on '68 camaro conversion?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on '68 camaro conversion?

I have a 1968 roller that i just purchased that im planning doing a ls1 swap. I also have a 1999 trans am ( nothing wrong with it, drives it now). my question is what parts could i use from the trans am if i were to use it as a donor car? i know the engine/transmission and wiring harness, but what else? like the tank and pedals? its a t56 6 speed. trying to decide if it would be worth it to take the parts from the trans am? parts r hard to find where i'm from. I done a lot or reading about this but never got all the answers i'm looking for.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Teching In

No one can help me out?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

I think you would have a lot less headaches if you just used a small block Chevy and a TH 350 in the car. That way you'd be looking at a lot less mods and you could build the hell out of the motor with reasonably priced parts from a place like Summitt. There are just SO many repo parts out there for these types of cars...seems foolish to give yourself more grief than necessary.

This coming from a guy that owned a '68 for more than fifteen years.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By your name I am thinking you are from Newfoundland so I understand the parts issue. 67-69 Camaro LSx swaps are very popular and there are a bunch of vendors supplying just about any part you can think of to do the swaps. The fuel tank won't fit it is quite a strange shape, but many other parts can be adapted. I have seen people use entire dashboards and consoles as well as seats. I don't know about the pedals. So what would you do with the Trans Am, is the body rusted? Seems a shame to strip it, but that's up to you.

Pat
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Motor, trans, ECU and harness, rad and fans, dash and console,
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Teching In

brakes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

almost anything could be used, but the question asked is what is it going to take to swap it in and how much is that ?

a quick run down, modification could be minor or major for each.
- Brakes, there are kits to swap the brakes in (on Ebay or BRP) for both Front and Rear
- Engine and Trans. . you already know the answer and questions.
- Radiator and Fan, can be swapped in, I have them on my 71 Nova
- Seat, console and other interior part can be used.
- Dash. I have see a few conversion that have swapped in both body and engine harness.. BMC and dash can be done.
- Steering - BRP had a kit to use the rack and pinon, Column can be used,
- Rear end is a bit wide but can be used or shortened.
- Fuel tank is of a different shape, not going to work, but if you have the will, there is a way. But the Fuel sender bucket/pump has been converted in to other tanks.

and then you can recover some money by selling off the rest of the body parts.. doors, windows, fender, suspension, maybe $2500 ??

BC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on '68 camaro conversion?