Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello..new to the site

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello..new to the site

Hey guys..just found out about this site last night. I have a 74 chevy truck 2wd lwb and am interested in swapping in a 5.3 in it. Im lookin for as much info as I can...just basically doin my homework and looks like this is the site to be on for that. Currently my truck has the stock 350/th350 combo. Im really looking for more power and better mileage and from what I've read this is the best way to go although not the cheapest.I've considered rebuilding the motor that's in it now(Its the original motor),swapping a 5700 vortec from a 96-99 chevy truck, getting a crate motor or the 5.3. Im leaning towards the 5.3(after checkin out videos on youtube) Basically Im lookin into the average cost of the motor and trans and what's all needed for the swap into my truck. If anyone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it.
pics of the truck below.
Attached Thumbnails Hello..new to the site-img_0411.jpg   Hello..new to the site-img_1028.jpg   Hello..new to the site-img_0412.jpg   Hello..new to the site-img_1023.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

5.3 motors are nice, readily available and cheap. If you can swing it financially, I would recommend a 6.0. You will be able to upgrade cylinder heads down the road much easier than a 5.3 because of the bore size and overall the engine will make more power.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the site. Do your research, but these swaps are getting more common and easy to pull off now. Kits and parts can be found on Vendor site as well as eBay !.

Wiring and PCM/ECM can be handled by a DIY'er or use one of the Sponsor Vendors here on the site.

the 96-04 L31 is the last of the SBC Gen I engine, it is a good setup, had very good OEM heads. But going with a Gen III/IV will be the way to go IMO.

5.3L can be found for a few hundred $$, but look for one with everthing, wire, PCM, accs. etc.. adds a little more but in the long run, your better off having everything. ($500 - $1500 for all). Cheaper that rebuilding a SBC.

Check out the FAQ for the $1500 swap. you might be able to pull it off keeping in that budget or a bit more. But if you stay away from the High Dollar parts and common OEM stuff you can do it on the Budget. Wiring and programing might be the high cost of the swap, but it can also be done yourself.

Do some reseach and then ask some more question, we can help. Keep us posted and good luck..

BC
Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome brother. The 5.3 is the way to go especially since you can find them for $1k with transmission, harness, ecm and accessories (real life saver) Read through this section and you will see just how ingenious some of these threads are.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. My concerns for this swap are the engine and trans mounts, drive shaft and wiring. Also I read that some later motor have drive by wire so I need the gas pedal swapped out too. Oh yeah...and I'd like to have headers too. Need info on that too. Anything to do wth swapping this motor into a square body c10.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We have a 68 C10 with DBW 6.0 and 4L60E. Mechanical stuff was very straight forward. We used BRP mounts and stock exhaust manifolds. We used a 4th gen F-Body tank for the fuel system and a PSI harness. If you are going DBW you will need a pedal and TAC (Throttle Actuator Control) module to activate it. As long as this is a truck engine, DBW is not very expensive. Hope this helps.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

I think I'll go the easier route and get amotor without the dbw throttle. Does the f-body tank bolt right in or do i have to get it modified? What about cooling...what radiator can I use?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The F-body tank bolted right between the frame rails. Only had to fab up mounts which was pretty easy. Just dont forget to remove or permanently close the old gas cap so your wife cant try having that filled. : )

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

lol where does the fuel filler go with the f body tank? also wondering about what driveshaft to use. can the stock c10 shaft work or does it have to be shortened? still wondering about the radiator also.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

oh yeah...what do you guys do about the speedometer, fuel gauge etc?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Gas filler is coming out the side of the bed, fab work required, and we are using autometer gages. Driveshaft will need to be shortened and we are using an f-body radiator and fans. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info psi. Im on a budget with this swap so Im not try to do any crazy mods...just some headers and an intake and dual exhaust is good enough. It'll still be mad quick. I'll start saving up for this swap as soon as I get back to work. I work at a pre-school and we get laid off for the summer. I would to do this swap by next summer or so. That'll give me lots of time to research and gather up stuff. Plus I figured as time goes by the prices of these motors will drop little by little. I have so many things I wanna do. My next move is to lower the truck and install my B&M hammer shifter. Also Im lookin for a donor truck so I can get a bed and some other little parts. I have my work cut out for me.

Quick Reply: Hello..new to the site