question for bczee and AC experts

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for bczee and AC experts

LS2 with stock corvette compressor

Classic Auto air conditioning system.

Bczee- I know you used the stock AC compressor because of past discussions, any issues or things I need to know about this.

I still have to figure out how to plum the classic auto air system to the stock hose/manifold. Any tips on this?

Last thing.

How do I know I have the hose correctly connected. One is larger and smaller. Small to Small hose and Large to Large hose?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Supply (low side) is large, discharge (high side) is small. Yes, small to small, big to big. Docs Blocks has a few different adapters depending on which way you need to route your hoses. I thinkg Classic Auto Air also sells adapters, so you might just talk to them and get their input on how to plumb things up.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey

Frist of all, I am no AC expert, know enought to get things working and recharnge systems. My setup should be considered a Budget approach and at best left or said that it WORKS !... (Maybe not the best).

So, for my conversion, the system is stock Chevelle with the Exception of the LS1 Compressor and some custom hoses / tubes, q combination of merging the LS1 and Chevelle hose. My local Hose and tube shop had done my AC lines a few years back and the hose were still in good condition so he was willing to merge the two sets of hoses and tubes. The Chevelle control are still in place and is what controls the System and Compressor as it would be for the Stock Chevelle HVAC system.

One Issue is that the 4th Gen F-body compressor are variable displacement compressor. So, The system will not be able to run at a 100% capacity under load. For the most part my system work and does get down to 45 degree, but under load while in bumper to bumper traffice or slow cruising. It starts to loose it cooling capacity and start to blow at 50-58 degree, Could be a air flow issue or the condensor/Evaporator not correctly size for the system or something (??), but if I am curising slow, my windows are open and checking out the site, cars and people anyway and the system is off.

There are some threads about turning one into a fixed displacement (do a search for it) by takeing it apart and welding/brazing the internals fixed. Some of the other Gen III/IV AC System do use fixed displacement compressor, so if you have one, that is good for this type of setup.

I also guess that knowning how much freon to use or try adjusting it might help to fine tune the system.

As far as the hoses and Tube, See if you have a Tubing and hose shop in the area. Maybe a Hydralics shop, ask a shop that services HD equipement (Tractor, turcke, forklifts, Backholes, etc) they would know who to use. Check out Doc's Block for AC manifolds and connector. You can also use AC rated SS Braided hose and AN Fitting.

The smaller lines are the High Pressure side of the system. The larger one is the Low pressuer side.

BC

Last edited by bczee; 05-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Fine you may not be an AC expert but everytime I have a questions generally you have a knowledgeable answer.

Do you have more information on finding the post about turning a variable compressor into a fixed?

I hate to abandon the notched frame for a sanden compressor. Plus if I ever get done with this project a supercharger would be a nice addition and that is out if I use a non-stock drive.

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup.. just found it by search on "Variable Compressor"...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...mpressors.html

Hope it help you finish up your project.

BC
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a stock 07 truck comp that is fixed on a stock bracket with vintage air. Used Docs Blocks had them leave the hoses uncrimped and mocked it and got them crimped local.

Make sure you get straight fittings for the two that will connect to the compressor.

Works great on the chevelle will 85 degrees out today and it was ice cold

Tim
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I have a stock 07 truck comp that is fixed on a stock bracket with vintage air. Used Docs Blocks had them leave the hoses uncrimped and mocked it and got them crimped local.

Make sure you get straight fittings for the two that will connect to the compressor.

Works great on the chevelle will 85 degrees out today and it was ice cold

Tim
What accessory drive are you using? What I am asking is if I use the stock truck compressor can I still use the corvette belt drive?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Yup.. just found it by search on "Variable Compressor"...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...mpressors.html

Hope it help you finish up your project.

BC
I saw that post but it just says to remove the variable valve to make it fixed. These instructions seems vague to me.

The PDF just talks about replacing the variable compressor valve not changing it to a fixed compressor.

I guess DOCs blocks are no longer going to be selling AC blocks They are fazing out that division of their company.

I found a block on ebay that looks like it will work. I think I will get it together and try the variable and if I hate it then try to figure out how to change to a fixed compressor or buy the sanden compressor and relocate.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1970-Cloned
I saw that post but it just says to remove the variable valve to make it fixed. These instructions seems vague to me.

The PDF just talks about replacing the variable compressor valve not changing it to a fixed compressor.

I guess DOCs blocks are no longer going to be selling AC blocks They are fazing out that division of their company.

I found a block on ebay that looks like it will work. I think I will get it together and try the variable and if I hate it then try to figure out how to change to a fixed compressor or buy the sanden compressor and relocate.
I agree. The instuctions were vague. I am in the same boat you are. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1970-Cloned
Oh man that sucks!!! Where/how did you hear about that?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Man, just got off the phone with them and confirmed they are going to stop selling the Docs Blocks line. If you need a compressor block, better get it while you can! Lady on the phone said as soon as they go out of stock, that's it.

Quick Reply: question for bczee and AC experts