Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Motor Mounts

Thinking of making my own motor mount for the passenger side of my car. I have an LT1 car swapping an LQ4 into it, but that is beside the point. I thought this would be the best place to put this thread because there is obviously a lot of fabrication going on in this section of the forum in the area of the engine bay!

So my question is, has anyone ever made engine mounts similar to this one?

I want to make one with a bushing style mount so that it tucks closer to the engine unlike the stock clamshell mount. The reason for this is so I can squeeze a large downpipe through the stock k member. Possibly will try to make a cheaper plate/bushing setup similar to the way this one is set up, but welded instead.

Possibly buy these inserts and get the correct size pipe to mount them in??

Has anyone made their own similar to what I want to do? Any suggestions on different parts I should use? Specific mounts, how thick of sleeves for the inserts, etc...?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a lesson from the old street rod's, they use that type of framing for engine mounting all of the time.

Check out Speedwaymotors or Yogi's, I am sure you can find something to work.

BC
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks bczee
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the stock vette motor mounts and S&P biscuit mounts. Mounted pretty easy to a square tubing cross member I added.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/08%20catalog/page%2098.pdf

The really nice thing about the biscuit mounts is it allows shimming the motor higher by drilling holes in aluminum plate. That helps get the clearance or pinion angles where you need them.

A company named transdapt sells kits like that first pic you showed. Summit and Jegs both carry them.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarextreme
Thinking of making my own motor mount for the passenger side of my car. I have an LT1 car swapping an LQ4 into it, but that is beside the point. I thought this would be the best place to put this thread because there is obviously a lot of fabrication going on in this section of the forum in the area of the engine bay!

So my question is, has anyone ever made engine mounts similar to this one?

I want to make one with a bushing style mount so that it tucks closer to the engine unlike the stock clamshell mount. The reason for this is so I can squeeze a large downpipe through the stock k member. Possibly will try to make a cheaper plate/bushing setup similar to the way this one is set up, but welded instead.

Possibly buy these inserts and get the correct size pipe to mount them in??

Has anyone made their own similar to what I want to do? Any suggestions on different parts I should use? Specific mounts, how thick of sleeves for the inserts, etc...?
I saw a tread on this site where someone made mounts like in your top pic to put LS in a Volvo I think. Not sure what kind of car but I do remeber it being an import. Vague I know!!! LOl
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nascarextreme
Thinking of making my own motor mount for the passenger side of my car. Has anyone made their own similar to what I want to do? Any suggestions on different parts I should use? Specific mounts, how thick of sleeves for the inserts, etc...?
Welder Series has eveything you need to make your bushing mounts including the bushings, tube for the bushings, etc. I've bought numerous pieces from D.W. Horton, including the mounts for the LS1 in my '32 Ford's TCI chassis. He's great to deal with and very helpful if you need something unique.

Check out the thumbnails in this link for ideas for mounts. I know it shows mounts for a SBC but the only difference is the engine plate. I hope this helps.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike52
Welder Series has eveything you need to make your bushing mounts including the bushings, tube for the bushings, etc. I've bought numerous pieces from D.W. Horton, including the mounts for the LS1 in my '32 Ford's TCI chassis. He's great to deal with and very helpful if you need something unique.

Check out the thumbnails in this link for ideas for mounts. I know it shows mounts for a SBC but the only difference is the engine plate. I hope this helps.
That's great. Thanks Mike!

Quick Reply: Custom Motor Mounts