Sponsored by:

Electric fan relays/wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Electric fan relays/wiring

I know these threads have been posted a hundred times, but I searched and became more confused than when I began, so I'll just ask my questions and hope that one of you will kindly point me in the right direction...

I am going to be using F-body fans in my '75 Corvette swap. I have a conversion harness from PSI that comes pre-wired for 2 fans. I asked Jon from PSI for a wiring diagram and here's what he gave me (obviously the wires from the PCM that control the fans will replace the temp sender going to 86)...

This is a bit different than the schematics I've seen before, since there is no switched power going to the relay, only constant. I trust Jon, though, so I'll wire up both fans like this with a separate relay for each.

My questions are in regards to relay size and wiring size. I bought two 40amp relays without really thinking about it, and now I don't know if they will be big enough. I also bought 16ga wiring to use, which looks roughly the same size as the stock F-body wiring, but I also don't know if that's big enough...especially for the grounds. Any input on wire gauge? Also, do I need to fuse the power wires going to the relay, and if so, what size fuse?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just read and modifyed a 5.3 truck harnness today and added the wires for electric fans. it said thay are ground triggers for the relays. not power.

so when the computer comands the fans on it add the ground to the relay .

i always go over board on wire size better to be to big than to small.

also look for auto reset breakers for the power to the fans. if it pops it will self reset. great if your nowear near a store for a fuse. do same size as relays 40 amp.

and 40 amp relay should be fine per fan thats what most mud truck guys run when thay do the ford windstar fan mod on 73-87 chevys.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wired my fan up today and the schematics i went off of said terminal 30 on the relay got a 20 amp fuse, and terminal 86 got a 3 amp fuse, terminal 85 got the command from pcm ,and terminal 87 went to the fan. Mine works like it should turns on and off at the preset pcm values.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is actually on my to-do-list. Anyone got a link to get a couple of these fan relays?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default relays

You can get everything you need from Delcity, or Terminal supply, both electrical supplys, I use both and they are good to deal with. Go to Vintage Air, they have a better diagram for your relay setup in the back of their newest catalogue
Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The reason to wire both terminals constant hot is that the ecu will turn off the fans when the key is off. The ecu can also allow the fans to keep running after the key is off if temp is over 240.
The relays should be ok, just be sure to use heavy electrical connectors and not just spade connectors.
I used 12g wire for my Windstar fans, thety pull a lot of current, 16g might be marginal.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got everything wired up today. Went and bought a bunch of 12g wire, so I should be good to go. Guess we'll see when I finally fire the car up...

Thanks guys.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

in for reference. ill be need this info in the next couple of months.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here got a C10 yesterday and the Windstar fans...are the cheapest. Sent you a pm sweetK.

Quick Reply: Electric fan relays/wiring