Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls376 into 95 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls376 into 95 camaro

Ok I know there are guides that talk about this but I need to know exactly what parts I need to order to make this work I have never done a engine swap before but i was raised in a shop my father was a mech for 9 years he said he can help but he needs me to get all the parts so what I'm wanting to do is put a ls376 into my 95 3.4 sfi camaro and would like to install a supercharger,twin turbo,water/meth injection and maybe a nos system opinions on those three things would be greatly appriciated I'm also wanting to install new digital gauges. Anyone that can give a detailed part list for this project can have the scrap parts if you would like them. So far Im ordering a crate ls376 from gmp along with the 4l70e supermatic tranny opinions on the tranny would be loved to thanks I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys I have heard yall are great and know your biz
Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

for one, if you have little to no mechanical experience you should probably reconsider this project all together.. 2nd, you may want to do some extensive research on what all is needed to do this swap, as it's a pretty popular thing to do. If you're going with a crate motor, it's not going to built for twin turbo, supercharger, meth, and nitrous. lol. you've got a lot of learning to do. if you're wanting to run NA then a crate motor would be perfect, but if you're wanting to go with a power adder/forced induction, then a motor built for either nitrous, turbo, or supercharger is what you'll need. so pick one!

search function does wonders.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM

ok let me state that while im not mechanicly challenged I am still learning but this is how im learning now i dont know much about superchargers and turbos i saw a thread where someone combined them but after reviewing that thread i saw that running the supercharger by its self can be just as good. now i am planing on adding a supercharger to this engine along with a water/meth nitrous injection which i read is compatible but what i need to know is what I need to order to swap out my 3.4 v6 sfi with the ls376 i know there are guides i read them all i need is a good parts list and maybe where to order from also will the ls376 work with a supercharger and will the 4L70E transmission fit correctly with the LS376 thanks guys
Old 05-16-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all motors will work with a supercharger.....if they are built properly (forged internals, compression, etc etc.) I know you're trying to get a direct answer, but you are asking for a lot of answers without too much information. Is the 376 going carb'd or staying the fuel injected route. Idk much about the 4L70E, so I can't answer that, but you will most likely need an LS engine harness along with the new computer. I would suggest viewing some more LT to LS engine threads on here and getting as much knowledge as possible. If this motor is a crate motor, no I wouldn't suggest running a supercharger plus nitrous. If you plan to go through the motor and build it correctly for the punishment you're planning to give it, then sure the motor will be fine.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 PM

I'm staying fuel injected right now I'm just wanting to swap the engine and need to know what i need to swap out when converting to the ls engines power assets will come later
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Read the stickys.. The thread I have up there can be used to accomplish about 90% of what you need.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM

cool merv what thread are you refering to
Old 05-18-2012, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

LT1->LS1 thread in the stickys.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman11b
ok let me state that while im not mechanicly challenged I am still learning but this is how im learning now i dont know much about superchargers and turbos i saw a thread where someone combined them but after reviewing that thread i saw that running the supercharger by its self can be just as good. now i am planing on adding a supercharger to this engine along with a water/meth nitrous injection which i read is compatible but what i need to know is what I need to order to swap out my 3.4 v6 sfi with the ls376 i know there are guides i read them all i need is a good parts list and maybe where to order from also will the ls376 work with a supercharger and will the 4L70E transmission fit correctly with the LS376 thanks guys
How much power are you looking for?

The reason people "Twin Charge" their cars is usually to help the Turbo Spool up faster. The S/C builds up boost much faster than a Turbo does and this gets rid of "Turbo Lag" (Turbo Lag is the wait time your car has before the engine actually begins benefiting from the power of the Turbo)...However once the Turbo actually builds up enough pressure then the S/C isn't really doing too much more. It would be easier to setup a twin turbo system. A small and large turbo. Also I don't think you will likely need N20 to assist you in a F.I. LSX motor... you will be going MORE than fast enough, trust me. I say money spent in beefing up the trans and rear end...

As far as meth goes, unless you're running some SERIOUS boost and looking for somewhere over 800 HP, I don't think its necessary either. You would be better by learning how to tune it and buying a sufficient inter cooler.

Don't just throw parts at cars and assume that it's faster. Thats not how engines work, every part works in synchronization with the rest of the engine but another part can throw off that synchronization and make for a poorly tuned setup.

As far as hardware necessary, I highly HIGHLY recommend staying away from digital gauges in fast cars. You want to be able to SEE your RPM range for diagnosing and other things. They look cool but I think the standard stuff is more functional.

For wiring and computer, you're going to need a 98 F-Body car wiring harness and computer from an LS1. 99 - 02 will not work, nor will anything before 98.

Then the standard stuff as far as hardware goes.

-K-Member
-V8 Suspension (Springs, Struts, Sway Bars)
-If your crate motor comes with Truck style accessories, you can use them by relocating the alternator to the passenger side where the tension is and using a half inch spacer. Move the tension to the position of the alternator. If not just buy F-Body accessories.
-Car Intake. I'm assuming LS3 or L76 in this case. (assuming your crate motor comes with a truck intake, if not then you're fine)
-12 Bolt Rear Axel - I'm not even ganna try to recommend a Z28 rear, you're ganna need this to sustain the power you're trying to put out.

Those are the real main things. It's not VERY hard, there's ganna be alot of little things but this for the most part is it.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
How much power are you looking for?

The reason people "Twin Charge" their cars is usually to help the Turbo Spool up faster. The S/C builds up boost much faster than a Turbo does and this gets rid of "Turbo Lag" (Turbo Lag is the wait time your car has before the engine actually begins benefiting from the power of the Turbo)...However once the Turbo actually builds up enough pressure then the S/C isn't really doing too much more. It would be easier to setup a twin turbo system. A small and large turbo. Also I don't think you will likely need N20 to assist you in a F.I. LSX motor... you will be going MORE than fast enough, trust me. I say money spent in beefing up the trans and rear end...

As far as meth goes, unless you're running some SERIOUS boost and looking for somewhere over 800 HP, I don't think its necessary either. You would be better by learning how to tune it and buying a sufficient inter cooler.

Don't just throw parts at cars and assume that it's faster. Thats not how engines work, every part works in synchronization with the rest of the engine but another part can throw off that synchronization and make for a poorly tuned setup.

As far as hardware necessary, I highly HIGHLY recommend staying away from digital gauges in fast cars. You want to be able to SEE your RPM range for diagnosing and other things. They look cool but I think the standard stuff is more functional.

For wiring and computer, you're going to need a 98 F-Body car wiring harness and computer from an LS1. 99 - 02 will not work, nor will anything before 98.

Then the standard stuff as far as hardware goes.

-K-Member
-V8 Suspension (Springs, Struts, Sway Bars)
-If your crate motor comes with Truck style accessories, you can use them by relocating the alternator to the passenger side where the tension is and using a half inch spacer. Move the tension to the position of the alternator. If not just buy F-Body accessories.
-Car Intake. I'm assuming LS3 or L76 in this case. (assuming your crate motor comes with a truck intake, if not then you're fine)
-12 Bolt Rear Axel - I'm not even ganna try to recommend a Z28 rear, you're ganna need this to sustain the power you're trying to put out.

Those are the real main things. It's not VERY hard, there's ganna be alot of little things but this for the most part is it.
Ok this ^^^guy just became my best friend. Need4's explantion was fantastic and i was throwng the sc,twin turbo,meth,and nos out there for opinons im wanting to eventually get her up to 800+ HP but for now im just wanting to get the engine in the car.as far as digital gauges i said the wrong thing on that what im wanting to do is install gauges like on the new 5th gens Im ordering the LS376/525 from pace performance http://paceperformance.com/i-7739382...te-engine.html and ordering the 4L80E from RPM (let me know yalls opinions on that) i have found the suspension,k member,mounts,and steering rack from hawksthirdgen.com what i need help finding is the steering linkage as described in mervs guide. also will this ecu and harness work http://paceperformance.com/i-7788424...s-sensors.html or do i need to make one if so could someone please give me the details of going about that. im also taking need4's advice and getting a 12 bolt rear from moser.Also is there any particular inter cooler yall would recommend ? thanks guys and thanks again to need4

Last edited by mikeman11b; 05-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 AM

Bump
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 PM

Bump..
Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman11b
Ok this ^^^guy just became my best friend. Need4's explantion was fantastic and i was throwng the sc,twin turbo,meth,and nos out there for opinons im wanting to eventually get her up to 800+ HP but for now im just wanting to get the engine in the car.as far as digital gauges i said the wrong thing on that what im wanting to do is install gauges like on the new 5th gens Im ordering the LS376/525 from pace performance http://paceperformance.com/i-7739382...te-engine.html and ordering the 4L80E from RPM (let me know yalls opinions on that) i have found the suspension,k member,mounts,and steering rack from hawksthirdgen.com what i need help finding is the steering linkage as described in mervs guide. also will this ecu and harness work http://paceperformance.com/i-7788424...s-sensors.html or do i need to make one if so could someone please give me the details of going about that. im also taking need4's advice and getting a 12 bolt rear from moser.Also is there any particular inter cooler yall would recommend ? thanks guys and thanks again to need4
That ECU / Harness is a stand alone designed only to run the engine. It's not ganna do anything to your interior though so you won't have functional gauges, ect.

You need the ECU and Harness out of a 98 F-Body LS1.

I'd contact merv regarding making it functional.

Regarding the engine, while that IS an awsome engine don't get me wrong but have you considered grabbing a used LQ4 with like 100k on it for about $1,000 and then 408 strokering it along with a rebuild? It may come out slightly cheaper and you will have more displacement if you can do all the work.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-28-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Awesome but what's the pros and cons of the lq4 isnt the ls series better
Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

LS is aluminum, lighter. Ironblocks can put out some HP and are dependable.

All the harnesses I built were 99-02, worked in everything I put them in.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ merv knows his stuff. Good luck man. I'm swapping a 4.8 going turbo into my 95 z28 I'm keeping it a 6speed. Mervs thread helps a ton
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Stock Gauges work too..

Quick Reply: ls376 into 95 camaro