Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 in Monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Street and performance even has G-body LS1 headers.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Question 1) othr than rear and suspension and trim nose spoiler etc are there any differences between SS and LS models.
Yes, big diiference! Body stripes, gauges, wheels, exhaust, rear axle ratio.
Question 2) if you convert to 12 inch GM front brakes will the 15 inch wheels fit.
Should work okay
Q
uestion 3) if you need 16 or 17 inch wheels will 3rd gen Iroc 16's fit.
They'll fit but you'll need 4 front wheels since the offset is different between front and rear otherwise you'll need a 1" spacer to use the IROC OEM rear wheels.
Question 4) What car does the good ratio steering box come out of 3Rd gen Iroc.
Any IROC....you'll see the stamping "XH" on it.
Question 5) S and P makes a 6 bolt to four bolt housing adapter for use with 700 r4 speedo and tailhousing also GM make a tail housing that locates the mount in the same position as the 200R. Has anybody used this yet? I think it would work fine along with John's motor mounts. This way you could reuse the existing crossmemer, and factory speedo again saving a ton of money.
I haven't seen it done but it should work!
Question 6) Could you use the carborated gas tank and sending unit with an external pump by just enlarging the return hole to 5/16" again saving a ton of money.
No, you really need to use an EFI tank because it's the baffle that you need to surround the fuel pick-up on the fuel pump.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thank for the info John

Thanks John for the info and fast reply.

I figured the 15'' wheels would work. I would just use them for now until they wear out. At minimum I would change over the front brakes and steering box to handle the power and change the springs and shocks and upper control arms. If I go to the Englishtown swap meet I probably could get a used 8.5 rear from an SS and maybe a front and rear sway bar. The car has the guages allready but no Tach. Could maybe get a used one from an SS and change it and reprogram. It only has the 85 MPH Speedo I think. If I ever go any faster than that on the street it doesn't matter you will lose your license anyhow. A new gas tank is not too much money about $120. The sending unit is pretty expensive new like $250 have to find a used one. For the engine I would look for a 2001-02 without the EGR with the factory Ls6 Manifold. The truck motors are out because it is technically illegal to run a truck motor in a car in NJ, just in case they look under the hood. They usually never do this at inspection just look with a mirror to see if you have cats and mufflers connected. I probably would use a set of used Shortie headers and connect the AIR pump to keep it all legal. You give up power I know but with the hi flow cats and true duals installed allready should not be too bad maybe 10 or 15 horsepower. I like the fact that the guy allready has the exhaust system in and would only need to make 2 down pipes to the cats. I like the sleeper look to the car maybe put in a stealth cam. I have to keep on my brothers good side. If I help him fix up his barn into a shop by pouring a new concrete floor and putting in new beams in the roof and help him redo a bathroom in the house I probably could keep the car there and work on it. Well bye for now I'll contact you down the road if and when I get the car.

Best Wishes

Quick Reply: Ls1 in Monte carlo