Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting the engine - what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting the engine - what do I need?

I'm a little unsure as to whether my LS1 will start when I eventually get round to hooking up the fuel and battery.

I have figured out that when I turn the key to on and press the engine start button, a signal will go to the starter relay which will in turn signal the starter solenoid which will start the engine turning round. All well and good.

However, how does the PCM know to put fuel in? Does it sense the engine turning with the ignition powered on and put the fuel in anyway? I have a VATS module from Baker which will be spliced into RED 30 (VATS fuel enable). I don't have a BCM or anything, just the raw PCM which will be connected to my fuel pump (via a relay)

Old 07-18-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When the computer senses ignition power, it watches to see the crank position sensor pulse. When it sees the engine spinning, it then starts the spark and fuel.
P.S. that is a VERY basic explanation.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as long as my PCM is correctly wired to the fuel pump and the injectors/igniters etc. then when it senses the engine turning (from the crank sensor) it will put the fuel in...

... hopefully that should be all I need to know... thanks for your help... back to the garage!!