Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low mount AC comp in A body

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default low mount AC comp in A body

i was going to use the vette mount for my AC comp, which mounts it low on the pass side-i thought there was some interference-i dont mind cutting out and boxing in the frame if it doesnt wipe out to much-has anyone done a test fit and how tight is it-does it hit the idler arm, or is it safe-thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THe frame and idler arm are not a issue with truck pump. Not sure how much the vet stuff moves the pump back.

Big thing it modding a set of engine mounts to clear the pump

Tim
Old 05-19-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 99' f-body ls1 swap I did into my 83 g-body in 2002', I cut & reboxed the area just before the idler arm mount.The factory ac compressor(s),gave me problems, Later switched to sanden (knock off) with BRP mount kit. Iprefer not having an ac compressor staring me in the face.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A/C mount

There was a post some time back, I used it and made my own mounts for the same situation, also check out Alan Grove brackets, I believe he has made one for this also, with either of these there is no frame notch, mine clears the steering and both run off the main belt, not a seperate belt for the AC.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used vette drive accy, but switched to the cadillac compressor as it isnt a variable displacement. I had to notch the crossmember a little and box it. Im not sure if theres a picture in my build thread or not. If not i will post one. The main thing is where your engine is going to sit. I built my own BRP style mounts. The steering are just barley clears under the mounting bracket. I think i ended up grinding it down a little where the tensioner mounts just to be safe.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

im going to be using the vette style Procharger also, 8 rib conversion, ATI balancer, it has the drive pulley on the back for the AC, so im pretty much going to have to go where the vette comp went, unless i get into a real deep cut into the frame-i dont mind a little cutting and boxing-i was going to use the Hooker headers, and the Hooker adapters, same setup i used on my 69, but i see Hooker doesnt have that orig adapter i used, but was hoping one of their new ones had the same holes, as i liked how the motor sat
Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquitebean
I used vette drive accy, but switched to the cadillac compressor as it isnt a variable displacement. I had to notch the crossmember a little and box it. Im not sure if theres a picture in my build thread or not. If not i will post one. The main thing is where your engine is going to sit. I built my own BRP style mounts. The steering are just barley clears under the mounting bracket. I think i ended up grinding it down a little where the tensioner mounts just to be safe.

Are the F-body compressors the same as the Vet and or cadillac as far as mounting and distance to the drive pulley from the mounting holes? Or are they different in that aspect? Just curious if I could swap out my current F-body VD unit with the Cadillac unit.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using the early BRP style plates and have notched my Frame to clear the Compressor, It is a 99 F-Body setup. I have no issue with anything coming into contact.

BC
Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't ati make a balancer with the drive for the ac on the front ? I think I tried to go that route at one time but the price was a little steep for the balancer and I ended up using my own brackets for the compressor.JOHN
Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default fit

Originally Posted by john 67
Doesn't ati make a balancer with the drive for the ac on the front ? I think I tried to go that route at one time but the price was a little steep for the balancer and I ended up using my own brackets for the compressor.JOHN
I used Johns, bracket, works great, would definitely recommend...

Quick Reply: low mount AC comp in A body