Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Firebird V6 to V8 wiring harness question

Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 2002 Firebird V6 to V8 wiring harness question

I am in process of swapping my 3.8L to a 5.3L running all the LS1 stuff. I want to keep my V6 gauges and run all my V6 accessories. I wanted to know, can a stand alone harness be integrated into my V6 harness for full functionality of my vehicle?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your plans for a transmission? Also the k members are different between the V8 and V6 cars and I think the accessories as well. Its cheaper to buy a V8 car and start from there.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by N20zuki
What are your plans for a transmission? Also the k members are different between the V8 and V6 cars and I think the accessories as well. Its cheaper to buy a V8 car and start from there.
A4 Transmission

I'm already in process. I have all the parts necessary for the conversion except the K-Member and a few other things, and its not any cheaper to buy a V8 car.

I'm getting a new engine and transmission for not even a quarter of the cost of a high mileage LS1 car.

I purchased a 5.3L Engine with 1,900 miles which came with an LS1 intake, Corvette Fuel Rails & Regulator, Fuel Injectors all for $900
Got F-Body accessories for $300 and that came with all the brackets and bolts
Purchased a rebuilt 4L60E for $400
Got a Free Torque Converter
Got Oil Pan, Windage Trey & Pickup for $160
I have a Y87 car so my Rear Axel and Driveshaft are reusable (as its the same as a Z28 rear)
My fuel pump will also be fine as well as I'm not looking to make serious numbers right now.

So far I have spent about $1,800 and I'm 3/4ths of the way done collecting parts and in the end this swap isn't even going to cost me $4k. Trade my car in and put the about $2,500 to go with it (estimation of parts total) and I will only end up with about $4,500 toward an LS1 car, and thats not enough to buy even a high mileage LS1 car.

Wiring Harness, K-Member (reusing my V6 suspension most likely, it should be okay as I've seen this done before), Steering Rack, Re-Using my radiator by adding a nipple or blocking off the coolant bypass altogether. Hoses and a few misc parts will added a few more hundred to the total, but its not enough to break into LS1 territory.

Back on subject though...I notice My EFI on Ebay makes stand alone harnesses and I was wondering if my V6 harness could be integrated into one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Firebird V6 to V8 wiring harness question