Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Chevy swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Old Chevy swap.

Well guys I have a 1979 c10 that is leaking oil from rear main seal, oil pan, and timing cover. So I figure if I need to pull motor to fix rear main seal I should just put in a 5.3. I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to do this. Should I just slap a carb on it or keep it fuel injected? Will transdapt 1" setbacks work with stock manifolds? How would I retain my ac? Is there a ac relocation bracket to use old compressor? I would hate to get 5.3 technology and have to give up my ac .Its my work truck, it leaks everything and smokes on startup but I know it is going to start and I can stay cool on hot days and warm on cold days. I just want the simplest way to do this on the slimest budget possible.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't really just slap a carb. on it you have to buy something to run the ignition system.

Price wise its pretty much the same either way EFI or carb. You should get everything with the motor no reason not to have EFI on it.

And you can get high mount brackets for the stock 5.3L compressor it could be modified to fit the 79 compressor most likely.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Bo185
You can't really just slap a carb. on it you have to buy something to run the ignition system.

Price wise its pretty much the same either way EFI or carb. You should get everything with the motor no reason not to have EFI on it.

And you can get high mount brackets for the stock 5.3L compressor it coulId be modified to fit the 79 compressor most likely.
I can find 5.3s all day for 3 to $400 but not with cpu or harness. So I would have to buy both of those and get modified and programmed etc.
Do you mean 79 compressor with high mount or 5.3 ac compressor with my old system? A who makes this high mount relocation bracket?

Also what about the oil pan.? I would think it should fit but with all the searching I ve been doing there is no definitive guide. I dont have the time nor money to go into this without knowing the facts. With my monte it wasnt my daily driver so trial and error was ok.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sb50
I can find 5.3s all day for 3 to $400 but not with cpu or harness. So I would have to buy both of those and get modified and programmed etc.
Do you mean 79 compressor with high mount or 5.3 ac compressor with my old system? A who makes this high mount relocation bracket?

Also what about the oil pan.? I would think it should fit but with all the searching I ve been doing there is no definitive guide. I dont have the time nor money to go into this without knowing the facts. With my monte it wasnt my daily driver so trial and error was ok.
Google Kwik perf. for A/C ideas. It mounts the 5.3l comp up which will work or you can mod that bracket for yours.

Truck pan should work.

Check out car-part.com and call and ask the yards for complete takeouts with everything. Most time $1000 or less bucks for a 5.3L
Old 05-23-2012, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There's a guy named Josh Powers at Custom Image Corvettes that makes a high passenger side R4 AC compressor bracket for f body spacing, not sure if he makes the truck spacing. Other than that, Kwik makes one for a Sanden compressor in f body, corvette, or truck spacing.

Quick Reply: Old Chevy swap.