Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A dumb question about fuel return lines.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A dumb question about fuel return lines.....

ok, pardon the dumb question here...but can the return line be just ordinary, cheap rubber fuel line? And can it go back and dump off in one of the little existing vents on the tank? (stock '65 Impala tank)

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not use Cheap Rubber Fuel Line myself. As it still would have some pressure that is being bleed off and returned from the Regulator. If possible, use EFI rated hose and clamps.. If the regulator is close to the tank, cost should not be a factor with that short of a lenght of hose. Besides... who would not replace a 40 year old piece of hose when you have a chance.

You could use one of the Vent line, but one that would dump the fuel back into the sump or bucket would be better.

Yeah, I know other have used Cheap hose. but better to be safe than sorry.

My 2 cents.

BC
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

You can dump the return fuel back into the sump? I assumed you couldn't do that because it was submerged?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running an in tank pump? My pump has a return line fitting on it and I just used a fresh piece of conventional fuel line between the Corvette regulator and that fitting. This the pump I am using:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

Pat
Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
You can dump the return fuel back into the sump? I assumed you couldn't do that because it was submerged?
I personally would not return below the level of the fuel but it may not actually make a difference. Under hard acceleration they may be a pressure fluctuation of a fraction of a psi. Who cares right? It just seems to me like the wrong way to do it though.

If you have a sumped tank why use a 3/8" feed line? If you have a regulator undre the hood you might as well run a larger line for the feed and use the OEM 3/8" line as the return.

For the return line on my car I plan to just run a couple feet of high pressure EFI hose from the corvette regulator to the fuel pump basket assembly.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
ok, pardon the dumb question here...but can the return line be just ordinary, cheap rubber fuel line? And can it go back and dump off in one of the little existing vents on the tank? (stock '65 Impala tank)

Thanks
In my opinion, it is not safe to use long runs of rubber line. I only use and recommend either steel hard line or chemical grade steel braided fuel line. As for the tank vent. Gas tanks that are equipped with a vent need the vent to control pressure inside the tank. Most cars either have a return line nipple on the fuel sending unit or you can drill the fuel sending unit and braze or solder a return line in place.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ok here is my basic setup....

I have a 5.3 from a Yukon, and the regulator is on the rail, so no need for the Corvette regulator/filter.

I have no OEM line left over from the car...wouldn't think of using it if I did.

I have 20 feet of new 3/8 stainless steel hardline. Car will be a daily driver, not a racecar.

I have one 3' section of 1500 psi braided, and another section of 6' 1500 psi braided

Pump is inline. Walbro 255

Everything is 6AN fittings

The tank was modified (before I bought the car) for a return line for a cheapo efi kit for the junk 305 it came with. So, there is a place to dump the return line, looks like a vent or one of the nipples Speedtrigger is refering to.

I modified the tank, baffling it and putting in the sump

So is the consensus that I need to be running hardline or 1500 psi braided as a return?? Regular rubber line is not enough for this?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pressure wise rubber line is fine. Accident wise who knows. I prefer long runs of braided or hard line, even aluminum would be OK to me.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Between the unknown chemicals in todays fuels and the questionable quality of hose made who knows where and what of,I wouldn't trust a long run of fuel hose for more than a temporary trial.Steel or braided are the top choices,take a look at hard nylon line,I'm trying it now in my swap,seems to be doing the job so far,easy to work with and not too badly priced either for the line and fittings that mate up with the fuel rail.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the hose goes, a high pressure push on hose from Aeroquip, Russell, Earl's or the like is just fine. In fact it is probably a better choice for fuel than braided. Some will argue, but it is common to get a fuel odor when running braided (not teflex)hose. As far as the position of the return, it is best to have a non restricted return point of termination. Some will use the vent line on the tank(as long as it does not have a check valve in it. Some use a return in the filler tube.
Cheap auto parts store hose is just that, cheap. Having been in the business for 37 years I have been witness to the degradation of parts quality. The addittves in todays fuels will breakdown the cheap hose. I am willing to bet your car is worth more than 50 cents per foot.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
I am willing to bet your car is worth more than 50 cents per foot.
Werd

BTW, some tracks will not let you on if you use push on hose. Just something to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: A dumb question about fuel return lines.....