Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use original 3/8" hardlines for LSx EFI?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Question Use original 3/8" hardlines for LSx EFI?

The original hardlines on my Nova are 3/8" and run along the passenger side frame rails with a couple of very short rubber jumper hoses for places like subframe to body and back at the tank IIRC. Thinking a bit about my fuel system, if I were to swap the low pressure rubber jump connections for EFI pressure rated fuel line, is there anything wrong with using that feed for my LSx? Would hose-clamped EFI rated rubber hold on okay?

I'm tentatively thinking about an intank pump with a 'vette FPR, single 3/8" original line along the passenger side, and flipped fuel rails to get the passenger feed. Anyone else done something like this or am I way off base?

Last edited by -TheBandit-; 05-24-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: corrected typos
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the rubber lines and their connectors will work for your feed line. That line is under pressure at all times and you will eventually blow a line.

You can use hard line, but anywhere you switch to braided line, you need AN fittings. Hose clamps will not cut it.

By the way getfast1.com is where I got all my fittings. Great prices and free shipping
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

I was thinking fuel injection rated hoses with fuel injection hose clamps

You can see a fuel injection clamp on the left vs. a worm screw style on the right

The factory hardlines have a barb-style on the end. Combined with the fuel injection clamp, I was thinking it may be fine. As added insurance, they could be double clamped.

What do you think? Still a no-go?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one short EFI rubber hose and EFI clamps between my in tank pump and the Corvette pressure regulator. Been on there for 6 years and 18k miles without a problem. From the regulator forward I have all hard lines until a Corvette braided line to the fuel rail. I did not use any AN fittings, just double flares and the OEM style snap together connections.

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 05-24-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just going to say as long as you use EFI specific fuel line and clamps you will be OK. You have a picture of the right clamps, the hose has it printed right on it.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bandit,
I swapped my fuel rail around to place the feed on the passenger side, you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn i used regular fuel lines and worm-gear clamps throughout... looks like i will need redo it all when i get the time.

this is the product description:
Fuel Line/Vapor Emission Hose, Meets The Specifications For Multiple Types Of Gasoline, Including Those Enhanced With Alcohol Up To 15%, The Tube & Cover Are Resistant To Oil, Ozone & Gasoline For A Long Service Life, The Inner Reinforcement Is A Spiral Synthetic Cord, PSI 40
Old 05-24-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bandit.. I know the location of the Rubber hose, about mid section of the car and joins to the lines between front and rear. It is a short piece of hose and to replace it with a EFI rated hose and clamps one should be fine. Or event some SS Braide hose and EFI clamps.

It might be a good location to add the Vette FPR and add the Return line following the feed line back to the Tanks return inlet. But there is some exposure to flying road debris, Maybe make rock shield.

I might consider that also.. If I don't find a location near the tank on my Nova. I am starting to run 3/8" SS hardlines now and well post what I end up with.

Also, on my Chevelle, I have my Fuel rail flipped to be closer to the OEM fuel line routing. no problem in doing this.

BC

Last edited by bczee; 05-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like it would work just fine and I wouldn't have to fab all new lines, saving some time & money. I may still put a flare on the line in the engine compartment and run a braided hose from the frame up to the fuel rail since this area is more at risk if there's a leak due to heat etc. Just thinking out loud here as I have a while before I get to that point in the build.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bczee
It might be a good location to add the Vette FPR and add the Return line following the feed line back to the Tanks return inlet. But there is some exposure to flying road debris, Maybe make rock shield.

I might consider that also.. If I don't find a location near the tank on my Nova. I am starting to run 3/8" SS hardlines now and well post what I end up with.
Interesting thought. Perhaps not a bad place to put it, but I'm hoping to get it back by the tank up & out of the way.

I like the idea of running lines on the passenger side because the other side is cluttered with steering box, brake booster, brake lines and the e-brake cable. Of course on my car I also have the AC to contend with on the passenger side, so who knows what I'll end up doing, but I do like the idea of reusing the factory lines and making most of my changes at the tank and engine ends.

Again, thinking out loud.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
damn i used regular fuel lines and worm-gear clamps throughout... looks like i will need redo it all when i get the time.
Definitely would do it sooner rather than later. Friend of mine used standard fuel line on an EFI setup and blew the hose after a week or so of driving. Luckily it didn't cause a fire or anything, but breaking down is no fun either.

The EFI rated stuff is a lot more expensive than low pressure fuel line, but for short lengths the total cost wont be much.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I used. Turned my 3/8" fuel rail line to -6AN.

This is what it looks like right out of the box.
Use original 3/8" hardlines for LSx EFI?-dscn1177.jpg

Here is the part number.
Use original 3/8" hardlines for LSx EFI?-dscn1242.jpg

Here it is installed in the rail.
Use original 3/8" hardlines for LSx EFI?-dscn1309.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Use original 3/8" hardlines for LSx EFI?