Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altered Truck Oil Pan Capacity

Old 06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you add a Oil Cooler, you need to make sure it has some type of thermostat in it. There have been reports of engines not getting hot enough to operate optimally. This id due to the oil never getting up to operating temperature, especially in colder weather.

If you take one from the Junk Yard. Make sure it has some thermostat type of setup and take it too. RX7 ones are pretty good ones from what I read.

Yeah. I know... on more thing to think about..LOL

Last edited by bczee; 06-10-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Update!

OK, update time. I finally got to cutting my truck pan down. To save a little time on my buddy's mill I cut the bottom off the pan myself...in the driveway...in the snow! I was afraid to throw aluminum all over the shop with the open engine and trans. good thing it was a toasty 28F!

Name:  IMG_1587.jpg
Views: 13188
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1588.jpg
Views: 13409
Size:  131.0 KB

I think I might have a small leak...yyyaaaa
Name:  IMG_1590.jpg
Views: 13364
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1599.jpg
Views: 13189
Size:  141.5 KB

I little time on the Bridgeport and that flange was as flat as Wisconsin.
Name:  IMG_1600.jpg
Views: 13503
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1601.jpg
Views: 13093
Size:  146.0 KB

TADA! TIG welding and fab work later and I have a pan FINALLY suitable for the Nova.
Name:  IMG_1605.jpg
Views: 13845
Size:  129.8 KB

Looks like I lost about 1.5Qt of capacity, exactly as I was expecting. That should leave about 4.5Qt. A little short but with frequent changes I should be OK. Not like it’s a high dollar engine right??

Name:  IMG_1608.jpg
Views: 12920
Size:  126.5 KB

Leak check found a couple small leaks. Im going to meet up with my buddy soon to get them patched up
Name:  IMG_1614.jpg
Views: 13121
Size:  73.0 KB

Next step is adding a drain plug. I had planned to simply drill and tap the pan in the thick casting right below the port for the oil level sensor. But a buddy pointed out that the stock drain plug is Heli-coiled to prevent stripping AL threads. So I started researching and found that it is still common for the heli-coil threads to pull out! This led me to consider installing a valve to avoid constant pug removal. Internet searching found this:

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Pretty slick product, and the locking handle feature is nice. To bad the price sucks! $30-$40 for a ball valve is Not happening! I'll be investing a little research into a similar, but more cost effective solution! Ideas are welcome!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin'73

OK, here is wat I am thinking. Stick with the truck pan, cut 2.75" off the bottom (an extra .25" to make up for plate thickness), incorporate a drain AND maybe look into welding a couple verticle walls inside the pan to help baffle and ensure oil feed to the pick up. To make up for the lost capacity add a cheap oil cooler. I will tap the stock oil cooler ports with NPT thread so I can run hose or hardline. Maybe I will try and find one of the stock 6.0 2500HD oil cooler pick up blocks...that would be slick. It may not be the best solution, but it fits my design, fabrication and finacial means.

Thoughts?

BTW, whatever route I choose I will post up my progress in here for for enjoy of all.
Just chop the bottom of the truck pan. Dont worry about the oil capacity, you will have the same ~4 quarts as a Holley or Mast pan. I got as far as drawing the dashed lines on the truck pan to cut it but, in the end I got a deal on a Holley so I went with it.

I believe there were also several oil filters used, pick through ones at the parts store to get another .25-.5 quart if you are truely worried about it. Seems like the external cooler lines, fittings, adapters ect people put on to same their motor usually leak or fail before oil aeration or starvation would occur.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

HAHA looks like you beat me too it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Teching In

I sectioned mine. took 1 1/2 inch out and brought the bottom portion back up to retain the drain plug. 1 1/2 " = a quart of oil. That plug you have where the oil level indicator was makes a great oil temp sender location, just hog out the inside and tap some 1/8 npt threads and your good.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turtle Bite
Just chop the bottom of the truck pan. Dont worry about the oil capacity, you will have the same ~4 quarts as a Holley or Mast pan. I got as far as drawing the dashed lines on the truck pan to cut it but, in the end I got a deal on a Holley so I went with it.

I believe there were also several oil filters used, pick through ones at the parts store to get another .25-.5 quart if you are truely worried about it. Seems like the external cooler lines, fittings, adapters ect people put on to same their motor usually leak or fail before oil aeration or starvation would occur.
I am not to concerned about running with 4.5Qt, and if I do see oil pressure fluctuation or other signs of oil starvation I will come employ either an oil cooler or accusump system. And do not worry about a shorty filter, I alrady searched thru my local Auto Zone and found the shortest filter I could find, just a scant 3.5" short! Not my favorite choice, but just another reason for frequent oil changes.

Originally Posted by exboatracer
I sectioned mine. took 1 1/2 inch out and brought the bottom portion back up to retain the drain plug. 1 1/2 " = a quart of oil. That plug you have where the oil level indicator was makes a great oil temp sender location, just hog out the inside and tap some 1/8 npt threads and your good.
I may use an oil temp gauge, but am not planning on it at this time, but using the old oil level port is an excellent idea thanks!

So what kind of boats did/do you race?? Back in Washington I use to crew for a UL hydroplane team.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Used to race a 20ss hydro in the stock class and a RB hydro (methanol alcohol) in the pro class,both kneeldown boats back in region one when I lived in ct. Both APBA classes.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by exboatracer
Used to race a 20ss hydro in the stock class and a RB hydro (methanol alcohol) in the pro class,both kneeldown boats back in region one when I lived in ct. Both APBA classes.
Wow, you sir have some *****. The Unlimited Light hydros were faster, but at least we had capsules! Glad to have you on LS1tech!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Just add remote filter and you got your capacity back, and its cool!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

The drain plug. I bought an aluminum bung and welded it to the bottom of the pan with a plug. DO NOT DO THIS. Put it in the side of the pan. Mine is on the bottom. Hangs a smidge lower than the crossmember. Well, as luck would have it i tagged something and kinda flattened the plug. My car is pretty low. Put the plug in the rear or side of the pan.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A bit late to mention it for this thread, but the Corvette batwing pan fits well in a second gen F-body, and from the pics it looks like it *might* work in a Nova. It holds 6.5 quarts, and doesn't even come close to hanging below the cross member. Below is a pic of a batwing in my Trans Am, with edelbrock musclecar headers and bolted to a TH350 which is in the factory stock position. Yellow arrow points to an oil drain I tapped because the original (red arrow) would spill onto the frame if I used it.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

2006 to current
PF63 Tall filter 4.828” 22MM thread

PF48 Short 3.450” “

1999 to 2006
PF61 Tall filter 4.526” 13/16” thread

PF46 Short 3.404” “
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

if you added to the front of the sump to bring it closer to yur frame you may add another quart to the capacity. Just food for thought as you are welding to it anyways.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1981TA
A bit late to mention it for this thread, but the Corvette batwing pan fits well in a second gen F-body, and from the pics it looks like it *might* work in a Nova. It holds 6.5 quarts, and doesn't even come close to hanging below the cross member. Below is a pic of a batwing in my Trans Am, with edelbrock musclecar headers and bolted to a TH350 which is in the factory stock position. Yellow arrow points to an oil drain I tapped because the original (red arrow) would spill onto the frame if I used it.

81' I had considered the vette' batwing pans. My concern was that the third gen X-body are both rear steer cars, so quite a bit of room is needed between the pan sump and the crossmember. I searched and searched and could not find an LS/third gen X-body swap with a batwing pan. So I chickened out of being the first!! I do wonder though, did you just tap the aluminum for your drain plug? I am scared of stripping! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
2006 to current
PF63 Tall filter 4.828” 22MM thread

PF48 Short 3.450” “

1999 to 2006
PF61 Tall filter 4.526” 13/16” thread

PF46 Short 3.404” “
I am not a big fan of Fram, but I may be able to use those #'s to cross reference to another brand. Thanks Geezer!

Originally Posted by aknovaman
if you added to the front of the sump to bring it closer to yur frame you may add another quart to the capacity. Just food for thought as you are welding to it anyways.
HAHA, at that point I may as well machine down to the flange and make an AL fabbed pan! I chose this route because it required a minimum of cast AL welding.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
81' I had considered the vette' batwing pans. My concern was that the third gen X-body are both rear steer cars, so quite a bit of room is needed between the pan sump and the crossmember. I searched and searched and could not find an LS/third gen X-body swap with a batwing pan. So I chickened out of being the first!! I do wonder though, did you just tap the aluminum for your drain plug? I am scared of stripping! Thanks!
There was large tab protruding at that spot, which I milled flat, then drilled and tapped. I'd say the threaded part of the hole is between 3/8 and 1/2 inch deep.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1981TA
There was large tab protruding at that spot, which I milled flat, then drilled and tapped. I'd say the threaded part of the hole is between 3/8 and 1/2 inch deep.
HHHMMM, and that works? No sign of stripping? That solves it. I am going to tap my pan on the thick section below the level sensor port and install a valve. That way I am not wearing out the threads. Then if it every strips in the future I'll have it helicoiled. Thank you for helping me bust out of my analysis paralysis! Sometimes all you need is a gentle kick!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

just wondering if anyone else has cut there 6.0 pan an will it realy work good. as im I need of a shorter pan an this sound $400 cheaper than buying a pan. please let me know how this turns out
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Not Me
just wondering if anyone else has cut there 6.0 pan an will it realy work good. as im I need of a shorter pan an this sound $400 cheaper than buying a pan. please let me know how this turns out
Not Me, tons of people have chopped both truck and F-body pans for conversion. Do a search and you will find plenty of guys that do not want to shell out the big $$ for a Holley or Mast pan and have chopped a pan. Here are just a couple examples I found in my research:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=53336

https://ls1tech.com/forums/10044185-post2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-question.html

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

ok I just over the cut pans. an I think im in love. but if I cut 2.5" off but what pick tube an dip stick would be good for the shortin 6.0 pan
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you chop the pan you will also have to shorten the pick-up tube. AND either shorten the dipstick or purchase one. Continue searching and you will find the answers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Altered Truck Oil Pan Capacity