Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just for Fun, LSX into race airplane. Vid inside :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just for Fun, LSX into race airplane. Vid inside :)

Been following this guy's yahoo groups mail list for a while. Incredible work.

Last edited by attilahooper; 06-09-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: LS1/LSx ? i forget, it doesnt matter though
Old 06-09-2012, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happens if the engine stalls in one of those? I meen is it pretty much engine stops running = plane crash
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Thats friggin awesome.

Would love to see it in action!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seen an LS1 in a Lancair IV Kit plane before. BIG waste of money. Guy I knew ended up spending twice as much by having to go back to a regular Contienal TSIO 550 piston aircraft engine. He originally did the swap to save money. As most aircraft engines are 30k new. Car engines make very poor aircraft engines. The RPM range is way to high even with a gear reduction box, correct prop so they you figured high rpm load will ware the motor out pretty quick. Then you have to worry about cooling it etc...

I would just run a turbine on it an eliminate pistons!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sciff5
So what happens if the engine stalls in one of those? I meen is it pretty much engine stops running = plane crash
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Really!!! Its not just going to fall out of the freaking sky. Any decent pilot can make a controlled emergency landing dead stick. Which most times isn't a crash!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Moter
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!
Well that seems like the obvious answer but planes have a glide ratio which varies from plane to plane.. some planes can glide to a mostly safe landing if the engine were to die.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that seems like the obvious answer but planes have a glide ratio which varies from plane to plane.. some planes can glide to a mostly safe landing if the engine were to die.
As with anything written on the net...you could not see my tonque placed firmly in my cheek.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LS motors are getting pretty popular for aircraft. In particular LS7 engines. You can't just bolt in a crate motor, they have to be certified for aircraft use. That means the motors need dual redundant ignitions and engine computers. The engines are derated from car use and don't spin past something like 3500 RPM. Some type of forced induction is common to keep the power output constant with altitude.

From what I have read there is no approved rebuild procedure for them. So once they hit so many hours run time they sell them off and buy a new one.

A pretty good link

http://www.epi-eng.com/aircraft_engi...s_contents.htm
Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

How about a Airbus that glided 70 miles into the Azores when they had a fuel leak and ran out of fuel in the middle of the ocean?

"According to investigators, the Air Transat Flight 236 developed a "significant" fuel leak while en route from Toronto to Lisbon. Noting a lower than expected amount of remaining fuel, the flight crew opted to divert to Lajes Airport, Terceira Island in the Azores. About 135 mi. from Lajes, the A330-200's right Rolls-Royce Trent 772-211B engine flamed out. When Flight 236 was at 34,500-ft. altitude and 70 naut. mi. from Lajes, the left engine quit (AW&ST Sept. 3, 2001, pp. 34 and 36). "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadstick_landing
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
LS motors are getting pretty popular for aircraft. In particular LS7 engines. You can't just bolt in a crate motor, they have to be certified for aircraft use.
This is simply not true, an Experimental aircraft does not have to have a certified engine on it.

And I have never seen a "certified" LS engine for use on a certificated aircraft.

So please provide a link or info to a STC for install of an LS on a certified aircraft.

Originally Posted by EPI inc.
We are not aware of ANY LEGITIMATE WAY to obtain long-term authorization to fly a certificated aircraft which has been modified by the installation of an uncertified powerplant.
In short, that means you can't get an STC for the installation of a non-certified powerplant in an aircraft which was originally certified in the Normal, Utility, Aerobatic or Transport categories. That leaves the Experimental category and the Restricted category.

Quick Reply: Just for Fun, LSX into race airplane. Vid inside :)