Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in intake, SMOKIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in intake, SMOKIN!!

I think I got the problem figured out, but I thought I'd brainstorm a little with u guys. I noticed a cloud of white smoke when I gave it a quick 2 or 3 sec WOT.
It concerned me at first, but after about a 45mi trip, I didn't see anymore. Later that day, I installed a gasket between the intake and throttle body and noticed the throttle body flap was wet with oil.

My guess(after a day or so of thinkin) is that I've put too much oil in the engine. I've changed the oil pan from the truck to car version, but didn't change the dipstick. With that in mind, does that mean the truck dipstick showing full, actually is showing more than needed?

Whadya think?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What sort of PCV system are you running and is everything working correctly there?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many of the early LS1 (and other) had a bad case of oil getting pass the PCV system as Pop is pointing you to. Many have upgraded the PCV valve, used a catch can or upgraded to the LS6 PCV System.

Is there oil inside the intake (on the bottom) ?

BC
Old 06-18-2012, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
What sort of PCV system are you running and is everything working correctly there?
The engine is an L92 out of an 08 escalade. I hooked hoses to both tubes on the heads, which came together into a T connector. From there, I ran it to the inlet on the left side of the intake.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djloc79
The engine is an L92 out of an 08 escalade. I hooked hoses to both tubes on the heads, which came together into a T connector. From there, I ran it to the inlet on the left side of the intake.
I could have it hooked up wrong
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

One tube should feed into the intake, and the other to a source between the throttle plate and MAF. If both sides connect to the intake manifold, the crankcase is under excessive vacuum.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

I've noticed that a catch can comes up in every thread about pcv. I guess this the route I need to take.

Just to give an idea of what I have, all I'm using right now is heater hose for the pcv system.
Is that adequate or do I need to go a different route when I install the catch can? Also, which catch can do I use? Tryin to cut down some trial and error time.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

And no chance of it being to much oil? I figured I was dead on with that one!!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You shouldn't use Heater hose for the PCV system, you need to use PCV/Emission Rated hose. Gas, vapors, fumes will cause the hose to fail or deteriorate quickly. Also due to the PCV system is under Vacumn, it could collapse.

Most if not all PCV system need to ports, one for fresh air (should be metered, downstream of the MAF) and one that provide vacumn and sucks the fumes into the intake track.

BC
Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
You shouldn't use Heater hose for the PCV system, you need to use PCV/Emission Rated hose. Gas, vapors, fumes will cause the hose to fail or deteriorate quickly. Also due to the PCV system is under Vacumn, it could collapse.

Most if not all PCV system need to ports, one for fresh air (should be metered, downstream of the MAF) and one that provide vacumn and sucks the fumes into the intake track.

BC
I'm pretty sure I only have 1 tube per valve cover.(front of pass, rear of driver) Some of the diagrams I've seen show a tube on the front and rear of the passenger side valve cover. Do I Need a different valve cover to hook up a catch can?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't have PCV..constant vent..no issues.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
I don't have PCV..constant vent..no issues.
So u just left the tubes from the valve covers open, or capped them off?
(
Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use smail air filter vent what merv said...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure I only have 1 tube per valve cover.(front of pass, rear of driver) Some of the diagrams I've seen show a tube on the front and rear of the passenger side valve cover. Do I Need a different valve cover to hook up a catch can?

Go into the GenIII external engine section & search PCV. There you will find most of the answers. No, you do not need different valve covers.

In the end, many of us have found (when using a PCV connected to intake vacuum) that a catch can on the dirty side & a catch can or in-line fuel filter on the clean side works best in keeping oil out of the intake.

dirty side = from rear driver valve cover to intake vacuum
clean side = from just ahead of TB (filtered & metered air) to passenger valve cover
Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

So u just left the tubes from the valve covers open, or capped them off?
(
Ran some 3/8" rubber line down the side of the block pointing down. My LS1 in my S10 was burning alot of oil with a pcv system..previous owner had some spray on it. Got rid of the pcv, made it constant vent, stopped burning oil within 100 miles. Oil level doesn't even move inbetween oil changes.

I have it setup the same way on my 408..with a Norris Catch Can tho just to see if it pushes oil thru the vent lines. I check it every oil change, which is prob every 2500 miles on that..it maybe has a slight film of oil in the bottom.

IMO pcv is over-rated environmental junk..the purpose is to pull the crankcase pressures, but if it's vented it doesn't build up pressure. That and an engine stops pulling vacumn around 3500rpm or so(I've read that in a few places..didn't make sense to me either..), so at WOT pcv is not functioning. Lots of the big racecars have either vents or vacumn pumps..fwiw.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
Many of the early LS1 (and other) had a bad case of oil getting pass the PCV system as Pop is pointing you to. Many have upgraded the PCV valve, used a catch can or upgraded to the LS6 PCV System.

Is there oil inside the intake (on the bottom) ?

BC
It wasn't a puddle, it just looked like it was lightly sprayed I guess.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
I use smail air filter vent what merv said...
Would simething like this work if i put 1 on each valve cover tube and cap the intake vac tube?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...6_pri_detl.jpg
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not use a filter on both sides. Really you need to invest in an LS6 valley cover. If you do not want to spend the money then you need to route the drivers side (pcv) to the intake behind the throttle body and from the passengers side valve cover to the top of the throttle body (fresh side). You can add a catch can between the drivers side and the intake for good measure. The best bet is to buy a newer version LS6 valley cover and go straight to the intake. There is alot less oil being slung around in the middle of the engine than in the valve cover. Plus the baffles in the LS valve covers suck at best.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Would simething like this work if i put 1 on each valve cover tube and cap the intake vac tube?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...6_pri_detl.jpg

Yes, if your choice is to eliminate the PCV & vent the valve covers to atmosphere, those will work. Be advised that oil will push through the filters & run down the outside of the valve covers & the engine from time to time. That's why Merv noted that he ran 3/8" hoses down the side of the block & pointing to the ground.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Ok, thanx guys. Plenty of helpful info. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but I'll keep u posted.

(think I'm gonna buy an ls1 dipstick though)lol

Quick Reply: Oil in intake, SMOKIN!!