Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I find out what parts mix and match??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can I find out what parts mix and match??

I am currently in the process of doing my conversion swap.. I will eventually get a vortec motor.. (a 4.8, 5.3 or a 6.0 version III)

I would like to know how can I find out what parts will fit on a GEN III vortec block that come off of true LS motors, such as heads, oil pan, cam, injectors, intake manifold and whatever else that can be salvaged from ANY true LS motor (version III or IV) that will fit on definitely a version III vortec motor.. I know I will be using a version III vortec for budget reasons...

Will version IV factory parts fit on a version III motor??

Please share any and all info on this matter as I am needing all the info I can get..
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

If you are getting a truck motor the heads will be nearly as good as the LS1 heads, the intake though taller and some say uglier, actually gives as good and some say even better performance then anything but the LS6 or an aftermarket intake. and if you swap the truck intake out you have to also swap out the fuel rails injectors and engine harness.

Take my 5.3, its an l33 HO so it has about 10 more HP then the other 5.3s... at 310 hp.

as far as I know nearly everything will swap over, but when swapping things other bolt on parts have to be changed, so while an LS1 intake swaps really easy, that means you also have to swap the injectors ect,

seems the best "stock" swap for the money is an ls6 cam shaft springs and lifters, other then that, use the truck stuff (if you have it) until you can get the aftermarket stuff.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While a lot of stuff fits, a lot of stuff does not fit. There's really too much to list. For instance, want to use an F-body power steering pump with an LS1 Corvette DBW throttle body? Don't try using the F-body pressure hose - you need to make a custom pressure line with some tricky bends. LS1 fuel rail with LS2 coils? Nope - the coils sit too high and interfere with the fuel rail inlet. How about an LS3 water pump with an LS6 intake and throttle body? If you do, make sure you buy LS2-style or later steam vents. I can go on and on... While it's a great platform with a lot of interchangeability, it's not perfect.

Also, regarding the GenIV stuff, look out for the DoD components. I do not know much about them, but I know that is a significant divergence from GenIII engines. I am pretty sure that the 2007 and older truck engines did not have DoD - this will probably simplify things for you.

You might learn a thing or two by trial and error, or by diligently searching the internet and LS1tech for answers before you buy and try. Definitely make read up on this site first - there's a lot of good information here, for both broad and specific questions.

What kind of swap are you doing?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy this book:

Amazon Amazon

It has ENDLESS information on LS swaps...what parts interchange, etc. Nice, clear color pictures too...not that black and white garbage.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This site may have what you need

http://www.fbparts.com/ls_general_charts.htm
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FastKat
While a lot of stuff fits, a lot of stuff does not fit. There's really too much to list. For instance, want to use an F-body power steering pump with an LS1 Corvette DBW throttle body? Don't try using the F-body pressure hose - you need to make a custom pressure line with some tricky bends. LS1 fuel rail with LS2 coils? Nope - the coils sit too high and interfere with the fuel rail inlet. How about an LS3 water pump with an LS6 intake and throttle body? If you do, make sure you buy LS2-style or later steam vents. I can go on and on... While it's a great platform with a lot of interchangeability, it's not perfect.

Also, regarding the GenIV stuff, look out for the DoD components. I do not know much about them, but I know that is a significant divergence from GenIII engines. I am pretty sure that the 2007 and older truck engines did not have DoD - this will probably simplify things for you.

You might learn a thing or two by trial and error, or by diligently searching the internet and LS1tech for answers before you buy and try. Definitely make read up on this site first - there's a lot of good information here, for both broad and specific questions.

What kind of swap are you doing?
I have a 70 chevelle that I wanna put a truck motor in with a T56 transmission. The truck motor can be any of the 3 out there, 4.8, 5.3 or either the 6.0. Just when I find the deal for me, Ill jump on it. and i will deff turbo it! I plan to swap heads, oil pump (if needed), cam, injectors and rails, coil packs, intake manifold. I believe those are the most common part swaps without buying aftermark upgrades.... Oh yea, I just purchased a 92MM cable TB from ebay. How will that play into what I want to do?? (it was a good price)

You seem pretty knowledgeable... With one of those blocks, will a LS3 intake and a LS2 stock cam work without changing internals??? I know You said Ill have to change fuel rails, injectors and engine harness, but what about push rods, lifters or even heads with that ls2 cam?? I found a deal I may get if they will work without too many more mods..

Wat is 'DoD components'?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
This site may have what you need

http://www.fbparts.com/ls_general_charts.htm
Tons of info on there.... Only problem I understand most of it, I just am not sure how I can use those charts to figure out if the parts I want to swap out will work?? I guess I need more experience...
Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by superdave84
Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/GM-LS-Series-E.../dp/0760336091

It has ENDLESS information on LS swaps...what parts interchange, etc. Nice, clear color pictures too...not that black and white garbage.
I purchased that book via ebook from amazon... Although its a ton of info, I have to learn to apply it to what I am trying to do.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Here, 72 Olds with 5.3 truck motor and LS1 stuff on it. Get your motor and post what you want on it, AC, cruise control, intake, etc. Someone's probably done it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...442-build.html
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garys 68
Here, 72 Olds with 5.3 truck motor and LS1 stuff on it. Get your motor and post what you want on it, AC, cruise control, intake, etc. Someone's probably done it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...442-build.html
Thx bro... I posted and subd to that one.. Lets hope someone has done it or knows the answer...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterEgo
I have a 70 chevelle that I wanna put a truck motor in with a T56 transmission. The truck motor can be any of the 3 out there, 4.8, 5.3 or either the 6.0. Just when I find the deal for me, Ill jump on it. and i will deff turbo it! I plan to swap heads, oil pump (if needed), cam, injectors and rails, coil packs, intake manifold. I believe those are the most common part swaps without buying aftermark upgrades.... Oh yea, I just purchased a 92MM cable TB from ebay. How will that play into what I want to do?? (it was a good price)

Wat is 'DoD components'?
No the LS3 intake will not fit the Gen III 4.8/5.3/6.0 as they are cathedral port heads and LS3 is square ports. The LS3 intake will fit the Gen IV 6.0/6.2l though but not the Gen IV 4.8/5.3.

Gen IV starts in 2007 up for the trucks. There were 2007 carryover Gen III motors used in the GMT800 carryover trucks.

DOD is actual AFM "Active fuel management" people call it DOD because GM originally called it Displacement On Demand but later chose to rename it to distance it from the 80's caddy version. It turns off 4 cylinders to save fuel at cruise. These are only on select Gen IV 2007 up truck motors.

If you bought a 92mm TB you need a ported LS2 intake or aftermarket 92mm intake for use on a Gen III motor.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

You seem pretty knowledgeable... With one of those blocks, will a LS3 intake and a LS2 stock cam work without changing internals??? I know You said Ill have to change fuel rails, injectors and engine harness, but what about push rods, lifters or even heads with that ls2 cam?? I found a deal I may get if they will work without too many more mods..
If I had to do it again, and I had the room, I'd probably buy a truck takeout - either 4.4, 5.3, 6.0, etc. If all that will fit under your hood and hood clearance is not a problem, go with it! Install your cam and enjoy!

When you decided to turbo, you'll be in good shape. From what I understand, the truck manifold does well on turbo builds. You'll need a set of injectors, and that's really it. The coils are fine. If you buy a 5.3, get a later engine that has "799" or "243" castings - that's the last 3 digits of the serial number - they're the same castings and valve sizes used on the LS6 and LS2 Corvettes.

If the stock trust setup will not clear your hood, things get more complicated. f you want to run a good intake and not break the bank, consider an LS6 intake and LS1 fuel rail and injectors. If you use all that, you will need to install an LS1-style water pump. That water pump will not line up with the truck accessories, so you will need to buy a set of water pump spacers. Also, you will probably need to reorganize your alternator and PS pump, and will need to buy a relocation kit from someone like Kwik Performance. Then, you're going to need to buy adapter harnesses for your new LS1 injectors. As you can see, if you can keep the truck intake manifold and accessories, you're going to be in great shape.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Launching!

If I had to do it again, and I had the room, I'd probably buy a truck takeout - either 4.4, 5.3, 6.0, etc. If all that will fit under your hood and hood clearance is not a problem, go with it! Install your cam and enjoy!

When you decided to turbo, you'll be in good shape. From what I understand, the truck manifold does well on turbo builds. You'll need a set of injectors, and that's really it. The coils are fine. If you buy a 5.3, get a later engine that has "799" or "243" castings - that's the last 3 digits of the serial number - they're the same castings and valve sizes used on the LS6 and LS2 Corvettes.

If the stock trust setup will not clear your hood, things get more complicated. f you want to run a good intake and not break the bank, consider an LS6 intake and LS1 fuel rail and injectors. If you use all that, you will need to install an LS1-style water pump. That water pump will not line up with the truck accessories, so you will need to buy a set of water pump spacers. Also, you will probably need to reorganize your alternator and PS pump, and will need to buy a relocation kit from someone like Kwik Performance. Then, you're going to need to buy adapter harnesses for your new LS1 injectors. As you can see, if you can keep the truck intake manifold and accessories, you're going to be in great shape.
DANG! Start changing that intake then a lot of other stull needs to be swapped... Good info, but I know I will turbo it so now im wondering if the truck intake will clear my cowl hood.... hmmmmmmm...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe someone else can answer this - is the Trailblazer SS shorter than the regular truck intake manifold?

DANG! Start changing that intake then a lot of other stull needs to be swapped... Good info, but I know I will turbo it so now im wondering if the truck intake will clear my cowl hood.... hmmmmmmm...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe someone else can answer this - is the Trailblazer SS shorter than the regular truck intake manifold?
The TBSS/SSR LS2 truck intake is the same height as the reg. truck intake. Its a little fatter and has a 90mm TB. But the injectors are the same connector wise so they plug in to the reg truck ones. Also the Gen IV 4.8/5.3L truck intake are similar to the TBSS intake and have 87mm TB on them they are the cathedral ports so they will fit Gen III motors. But some time in 09 or 10 they switch to the different MAP sensor so be aware of that.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Actually, if you want an LS1 intake on a truck motor, there is a simple mod to the alt/PS bracket and the f body pump with spacers that will work.
You can also reuse your injectors with the LS1 fuel rail and $30 injector spacers. Not that much to change.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

Dang I did not realize how interchangeable yet picky these motors can be!

Only way to stay straight is ask before you do anything!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garys 68
Actually, if you want an LS1 intake on a truck motor, there is a simple mod to the alt/PS bracket and the f body pump with spacers that will work.
You can also reuse your injectors with the LS1 fuel rail and $30 injector spacers. Not that much to change.
You have to move/relocate the idle pulley as well.

And if its DBC you can use a Gen IV truck WP with the 45* outlet and not even need the spacers. It won't fit DBW. But will fit LS2/LS3 90mm DBW though.

Quick Reply: How can I find out what parts mix and match??