Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8L LY2 into a 4 linked YJ Wrangler!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8L LY2 into a 4 linked YJ Wrangler!

First off let me say thank you to 6898camaross for pointing me to this forum.

I have an 89 Jeep Wrangler that had a 4.2 stroker motor in it, The motor went buy buy and its time for a V8

I purchased a 07 4.8L LY2 from a 2x4 Silverado that was mated to an automatic. The motor has 38k on it and is in damn near new shape. I brought it home today and have almost every thing I need. I am missing the wire harness for the gas petal and maybe a couple of other parts

My wrangler has no emission controls and in my state does not need them as it is over 20 years old and it is registered outside of a Inspection and Maintenance district(I live in Oregon). The old 4.2 had a holley 4bbl and and MSD ignition

I need to transplant the 4.8 into the jeep. I need as much info as I can as to what I can strip from harnesses to take it to bare minimum wiz bangs and yet still be a runner.

As for mounting and connection to my trans, Advance adaptor makes a kit that I will be buying, so the only real issues is the knowledge of the newer technology of the electronics.

My 72 year old father who lives with me was a mechanic all his life and owned his own shop untill 2004 when he retired. I have 2 associates degrees in electronics(transfer in engineering and transfer computer electronics) and, am a total gearhead. I do all my own welding and all my own repair and builds. from motors to diffs, This being said, there is plenty of mechanical ability just not enough knowledge of the new systems to know what has to stay and what does not. We understand knock sensors, O2s. MAF, MAP, and TPS. and temp sensors. Where we are a bit concerned is the variable valve timing and the lack of a transmission for the transmission controls. My jeep is a stick. I am getting a flywheel from Advanced Adapters so that is a non issue. The harnesses that came with the motor have way more plugs then things to plug into so I know some of that can be stripped out.

Little things like where to pick up a good book and what book to get for guidance on the wire color codes and the like would be huge, as well as some one to bounce questions off of. Also if you know of any gotcha's and pit falls. I am also wondering about fly by cable rather then buy wire for the throttle. I am going to be writing up the entire swap and posting it with pics to Jeep Forum and here if it is of interest to the forum and does not violate any rules.

I think that about explains what I am attempting to do so if you can offer any help that would be huge. Let me know if you are willing to give advice and pointers and if you have any suggestions as well

Thanks for your time and your interest

Gary
Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be posting some pics of the jeep and the new motor as soon as I get them uploaded and any time on forum requirements met

=)

Quick Reply: 4.8L LY2 into a 4 linked YJ Wrangler!