Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket electric fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket electric fan wiring

Tried a search, can't find the info I need.

Can someone direct me to a thread or something that explains how to wire an aftermarket electric fan to be controlled by the PCM?

My 5.3 has a regular crankdriven fan but I am deleting it because of space issues. My computer has been retuned to control an electric fan now but I don't know how to wire it.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lt1swap .com has the info you need thats what i used to wire my fans up and they work great.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Relay. The pcm wire is used for the trigger voltage to turn relay on. U still need to wire up power to relay and relat to fan using heavier gauge wire. Google relay wiring. I believe a goo info site is called " the 12 volt" or something like that
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

???

Not sure what number or which connector the wires are that show going to PCM

How I was going to wire up fans was one of the things on the to do list. Haven't done much searching on it yet though.

Name:  ElectricFanSchematicLS1.jpg
Views: 55843
Size:  64.0 KB
Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

first of all, what fans are you using, duel or single ?.. can the fan(s) support Low/High speeds ?

If they support 2 speeds, get the relay wiring diagram for a 4th Gen F-body (its been posted many time before) and just wire it up that way. the PCM will supply a ground signal as stated above. The FAQ is here with the wiring pin out to terminal of the relay.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html

Also this is the OEM 3 relay setup
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...-here-fans.gif

If only one speed, then just wire up a relay one per fan with the ground connected to the PCM (Blue 42 for low and Red 33 for high or the 2nd fan). This is just a basic Relay powering a electrical device (Fan, pump, etc). (Edit: see boxchev setup)

BC

Last edited by bczee; 06-29-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a single 16" fan, and I don't know if it supports two speeds or just one. I assume I will find out when it arrives.

I am a total novice when it comes to wiring anything. Where do I get the correct relays?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by downset71
Relay. The pcm wire is used for the trigger voltage to turn relay on. U still need to wire up power to relay and relat to fan using heavier gauge wire. Google relay wiring. I believe a goo info site is called " the 12 volt" or something like that
The pcm doesn't trigger voltage. It triggers the ground signal.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just about any Relay will work that has the correct rating on amperage, that being a 30 or 40 amp relay.

But I would suggest you should get one that has a sealed base / connector and has mount on it like a OEM one. Painless has a complete setup (as many other manufactors and companys). You would have to wire the Black ground wire to the PCM to give the signal to activate the relay and power up the fan.

you can order or find it just about anywhere... Summit, Jegs, local Speed shop or stores.

BC
Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the look like mirco relays from salvage yard and works good..I ll post pix here later.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Point taken! I shouldve specified it grounds the relay. But it can still be considered to " trigger the relay". . On another note, you can also ditch the pcm all together and just get an aftermarket radiator probe with an adjustable dial to " trigger" a fan relay and power up a fan.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket electric fan wiring