Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which parts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which parts???

I've read the stickies and searched more web sites than I can keep track of in search of a couple of answers.

My current project includes placing a GM Gen IV 6.0 truck motor (LY6)into an 87 Monte SS. I've read so much information about the various oil pans and each of their concerns so far as clearance issues with various areas such as having to notch the K-member or the heater box, purchase brackets for the AC or a combination there of that it's quickly becoming a mental blurr.

Can somebody tell me if it's possible to install an LY6 motor into a G-body without having to cut/notch anything while still being able to run the AC after it's all said and done?

And which motor mounts and oil pan a person needs to use in order to complete the job? Stickies are great but I've found that the information isn't always the most up to date either. I'm not picking on MCSS.coms stickies. I'm speaking in general. My search has included many other sites other than just MCSS.com. The LS1tech.com site has lots of info to offer as well but I cant locate any definitive answers for the questions that I have. I want the pan to have enough clearance that it won't bottom out so the Hot rod/truck pan is a definite no since it hangs below the frame/k-member.

To run an LY6 motor with AC in an 87 Monte SS.

1. Which specific motor mounts and what placement setting?
2. Which specific oil pan/s can be used without clearance issues?
3. I want to keep the LY6 intake that I already have and use it. Will it clear with proper parts (motor mounts)? Does it require an aftermarket hood or the modification of anything? Or will it even work at all?

I have lots more questions but for now not knowing which engine mounting brackets and the oil pan to purchase are impeding my progress. I'm ready to pull the trigger on these items but Im am stuck in a holding pattern until I know which specific parts I need to purchase.

Roach
Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't help much on G-Body stuff. But I would recommend you read or follow some of the build threads of other Monty's of the same years.. JohnB, g-Body, etc..

Coming from a 454, what kind of build did you have, are you looking to keep or up the HP of the 454 to the 6.0L ? What do you have planned for the 6.0L ? Head, cam, etc ?

If the Lower AC compressor is a issue on Notching, you can always go with aftermarket mounts to move it up the passenger side head area.

Good luck, hopefully other G-Body guys will ping in with your answers..

BC
Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

There are combinations that work . I havent seen anyone running the stock mounting a/c in a g body with out notching the frame. Im Not saying that you cant , but ive looked and never seen it. Now Keeping the Intake is what you are working around. Mine fits with a modified cover under my stock hood with maybe 1/4-3/8 inch to spare. Using the transdapt 1" setback ,F-body driver mani and Truck pass mani, I used the canton pan. Any of the aftermarket pans will work nice with lots of clearance with 1" setback.
Stock pans your options are limited. Cts-v pan will fit nice bit will be slightly lower than the crossmember. (1/2). The f-body will fit but its tight from what ive seen . If your budget allows i would say go with (your vendor of choice) 1" setback that uses the stock hardware from the sbc , CTS-v Pan or Aftermarket . I forgot about the holley pan . i think it fits well and doesn't hang down. That one im not sure on . High mount a/c bracket . The a/c is just a pain to work around. You could do an after market pan and push the engine forward,
but then i think you run into the truck acc hitting the steering box and such . Not sure if i helped any but that was my experience.

Last edited by Emdmechanic; 07-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn't Merv have an LY6 in a Monte SS?

-SS
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

I believe he does... but isnt running a/c and he runs the low hanging pan , Which the op does not want. If i had it to do again(after reading a bit) i would use the holley pan, Dirty dingo adjustable mounts and high mount a/c , And the ford power steering pulley .

Quick Reply: Which parts???