Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oddball question...modern radio in classic car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oddball question...modern radio in classic car?

...and by modern I don't mean a Pioneer from Best Buy. I mean more like putting in a Cadillac, or Tahoe, Yukon, etc stock radio in my 65 Impala.

I think the radios have to be programmed to the specific vehicle. Anyone have any info on that? Or a way around it?

thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmm, I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at their radio selection. Looking for something to install in my 1965 Buick Skylark. Not sure which way I will go.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am willing to do a touch screen or something, but I really want that stock "unified dash" kinda feel. I would love to have modern heater controls too, but mine are cable operated, and all the new stuff is electrical.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am still unsure which way I will go with guages. I don't have that much room height wise on the Skylark and was looking into going digital. If I went that route I was looking for a radio that would match somewhat with blue lighting to match the guages. Luckily I have time to make up my mind and continue researching.

I am in the same boat with the heater controls. I will just leave them stock. When I bought the car it had the Vintage Air kit uninstalled and in the trunk. It is the under the dash type. I will be following along to see what others have to say on the radio.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it has to do with the BCM I know my 01 when that would short the radio would cut out.... then again, maybe if you go to the junkyard grab some cheapo lower class radio out of something newer.... figure out the wiring and hook up and if it works then im sure you can do it..
Old 07-04-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't get new enough for the radio to have RDS. Any of the GM radios that new will not play unless the vin stored in the radio matches the one stored in the BCM, and obviously in a swap vehicle you won't have the BCM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything communicates on the LAN bus. So you would need the radio, the BCM, and the ECU to all match and have the data bus connected between each. The BCM talks to all the systems in the car so you may have issues there if the dash, ABS, air bags, and security is not hooked up. I'm not exactly sure what will happen without the other systems plugged into the BCM. You would have to experiment with it. Honestly it would be a lot of work and a lot of time and money to make it work when the aftermarket stuff is actually a much better product. On the GM Bose Navigation radios you would also need the stock Bose amps which also communicate via the data bus.

As for the A/C controls there was a build on here where a stock GTO dash was used and the OEM A/C controls were sent to Vintage Air and they converted them to work with their A/C system so that could work for you.

If you really don't like the look of the aftermarket stuff make a door on your center console that blends in with design and put the aftermarket radio behind it. Also is a good security feature. If they can't see it they won't steal it hopefully.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

You can send your original A.M. Radio to Vintage.........they convert the inner workings to modern standards .....am-fm stereo and Satelite ready for XM or Sirius.......Had them convert a bunch over for me...........Great people to deal with.........

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/

After

Ken

Quick Reply: Oddball question...modern radio in classic car?