Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registration Problems in Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Registration Problems in Missouri

I just moved from Texas back to my home state of Missouri. I have a 1977 Volvo 244 that has a Lt1 swapped into it with efi and runs great. (I know it's not an LSx but I thought some LSx swappers might have had the same problem.) I have been driving my car legally in Texas the last 3 years, and never had an issue getting the car inspected.

I took the car to a shop in the St. Louis area to be inspected last week and figured everything would be fine. Wrong. The mechanic at the shop realized it had and engine swap, it's easy to hear that, and called the Highway Patrol to find out if it was legal to pass the car. The Hi Po says no, because the car doesn't have an engine that was an original option for the car. I called them myself later and got the same thing and I think this interpretation comes from this section of the "Rules of Department of Public Safety" for Missouri

"Effective July 1, 1992, all light-duty
vehicles which are passenger vehicles with a
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) below
six thousand pounds (6,000 lbs.) and commercial
vehicles with a GVWR below eight
thousand five hundred pounds (8,500 lbs.),
which receive a replacement engine, in
regard to all emissions related parts, engine
design parameters and engine calibrations,
must comply with the certified configuration
of the same or newer model year as the vehicle
chassis."

I guess because the engine was never "certified" for my chasis by the EPA they throw the flag. The shitty thing is all cars in Missouri 1995 and earlier are emissions exempt!

Has anyone out there in the St. Louis area into this with there swap? With so many cars out there with LSx swaps I figured some has run into this. It almost seems easier to get plates in California! Any help or info would be much appreciated.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it because st.louis county has the emissions stuff that you are having the problem? other counites in missouri do not have that if you catch my drift
Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to ask the DMV if they have any rules and/or laws that define Engine Swap or Conversions.

Ask if they have re-certification rules/policy to pass the car as the new Donor engine and not the Body.

Many other states will base there DMV rules and laws based on the California C.A.R.B. laws. http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

Good Luck

BC
Old 07-16-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

St. Louis is much more stringent than the rest of the state, including Kansas City.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Over 25 years, register as historic vehicle. No emissions or safety inspections. Personal propert tax assessed at 5%value insread of 33% value.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

try another shop in a busier area, maybe they won't check or figure it out.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a little looking around, and talk with some of the local performance shops to see if they have any leads. You shouldnt have a problem getting it taken care of. I never did.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

That has to be a St Louis thing, KC has never been a problem. I would go somewhere else, maybe a small shop where you can BS with the guy and maybe he'll cut you a break. Somewhere there has to be a shop that has a mechanic that will think your car is just cool. Whatever you do, I highly recommend you DO NOT go anywhere near the Highway Patrol. They can make you jump through all kinds of hoops you don't want to get involved with.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you read what's quoted, it's in spirit the same as the Federal requirement.

It's just saying that a 1995 car must have a 1995 or newer engine swapped with "certified configuration" so you basically need all the emissions equipment of the LT1.

Now, your cop and mechanic passing 6th grade is potentially more miraculous than a car in Missouri actually having all the emissions equipment.

The point is, they mis-understood it due to lack of job-training so follow up with the state MVD.

Missouri law cannot make illegal what Federal law specifically legislates as legal.

You're clear on the GVW thing because both donor and recipient are in the same class.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

I think I'm going to try a couple of other shops.

Originally Posted by jmd
If you read what's quoted, it's in spirit the same as the Federal requirement.

It's just saying that a 1995 car must have a 1995 or newer engine swapped with "certified configuration" so you basically need all the emissions equipment of the LT1.

Now, your cop and mechanic passing 6th grade is potentially more miraculous than a car in Missouri actually having all the emissions equipment.

The point is, they mis-understood it due to lack of job-training so follow up with the state MVD.

Missouri law cannot make illegal what Federal law specifically legislates as legal.

You're clear on the GVW thing because both donor and recipient are in the same class.
I think your right here. I will contact I "higher" authority if I can't get passed at another shop.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Hope you get it all sorted out. Could you post a picture or two of the car if you get a chance? Always interested in seeing swaps.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about a show car exemption???
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

I have a friend that passes mine with no problems. If it is legal he will pass yours also. He will not look for anything that is not required to be there. I will PM you the info. BTW mine is registered as a 2007 special construction vehicle.

Here is my ride:

Here is what the shop owner drives:
Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by merim123
try another shop in a busier area, maybe they won't check or figure it out.
Good advice. That's what I would do.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

All you should need outside of st. Louis co. Is a Mo safety inspection. Go to jefferson county shop for safety inspection. Get on criagslist there's a guy named Rick selling rebuilt bbc's on there that's a native, call him and ask for a suggestion
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Hope you get it all sorted out. Could you post a picture or two of the car if you get a chance? Always interested in seeing swaps.
Here's some pictures of the car in question:

At the drag strip in Adrmore, OK; 13.3 @105 on used street tires!

Ford 8.8 Swap:

Early Engine Shot (now has cruise and A/C):

What I started with inside ( I had already intalled the heater box in this picture, that was also missing when I bought it):
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

You wouldn't have to twist my arm to make me drive that, and the LT1 looks like it belongs in there.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Teching In

if you ever decide to sell hit me up. had a 740 with a 5.0 swap and would love to get back into the volvo game!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
Sort of but not really - if MO's regulations are stricter than the Federal regulations, the MO regulations will generally stand. In other words, Federal law sets minimum standards. The state (MO) can raise the bar and add additional requirements, but cannot lower the bar below the Federal minimum standards.

Originally Posted by cadsmobile

"Effective July 1, 1992, all light-duty
vehicles which are passenger vehicles with a
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) below
six thousand pounds (6,000 lbs.) and commercial
vehicles with a GVWR below eight
thousand five hundred pounds (8,500 lbs.),
which receive a replacement engine, in
regard to all emissions related parts, engine
chassis."
I'm actually reading this a little differently - it sounds like you need to have all of the emissions equipment that came on your 1977 Volvo, not the LT1 engine. The text says that the emissions related parts must comply with the configuration of the same or newer model year as the chassis, not the engine. So for example, if your 1977 Volvo came with an EGR system, your swap would probably have to have an EGR system, etc.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Actually, it states
"...in regard to all emissions related parts, engine
chassis."
so the engine design parameters are nowhere near the same as a 77 or newer Volvo 244. "Model year of the vehicle chassis" meaning 1977 Volvo 244.
If the car is emissions exempt, it's a moot point and you just happened to talk to the 2 dumbest people in the state. If it's not exempt, you're gonna hafta get sneaky about it. I feel for you. Been there. I had 2 V8 Chevy Vegas, when Calif first started smog inspections. Yeah... I'm THAT old!

Quick Reply: Registration Problems in Missouri