Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure to high?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure to high?

I'm running in tank pump with the C5 filter at the tank. i installed a pressure gauge, picking up in the engine compartment. I know the pressure should stay around 58, but I'm mostly seeing 68-78. Checked it with another gauge to confirm it was a gauge issue. I'm also getting a code 172 and 175 bank 1 and bank 2 rich. My Innovate Wide band seems to stay in the 14 range.
Could the pressure be my problem?
Wasn't having this code until I installed new pump system, replaced filter (using a Wix), did a camshaft change (TSP Torquer V3), and sent the ECM to FROST for a tune.

Is this kind of pressure normal? I do see 58 sometimes when I just switch the ignition on, and not actually start the engine.
I'm thinking of changing the filter first. Just figured I'd ask before I change it.
I have HPTuner, so I can try to do some tuning myself. Just to have a lot of spare time to work with the software.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could there be a restriction in your return line? That's sure what it sounds like.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Could there be a restriction in your return line? That's sure what it sounds like.
X2 This would be my thought also. And yes, the high fuel pressure is probably making it run rich.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Figured I'd try the fuel filter first. I currently have a WIX 33737 on the car, so I figured I'd pay the extra money and try an AC Delco GF822 to see if the built in regulator was the problem.
Got it in today and guess what, the filter in the AC Delco box is a WIX 33737 with the WIX marked out with a black marker!!!
Does WIX make the filters for AC Delco, order did someone change the filter in my box??
Sucks to pay nearly 30 bucks more for a box!!
Guess I'm gonna try the Amazon return policy!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

To be the third vote in the jury, I agree with LS1MCSS and ls1nova71. I would check your return line for restrictions before spending a dime.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to disregard the suggestions. I'm running the Spectre tank and got tired of dealing with the loss of pressure issues below 1/2 tank, so I cut it open and modified it to accept a fuel pump module for an F250 (Carter P74942M) that someone else on the site had documented. From the module I'm running the Russell adapters and about 8-12" of 6AN line for the filter supply and the return. The line to the motor is combination of 6AN line and 3/8" hard tubing.
I didn't install the Pressure gauge until after the above modifications. I also replaced the filter during the above upgrades. So I really don't know what I had before.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Might want to revisit the thread on the F250 pump, if it's the one I read he recently ditched his complete fuel tank set-up and went with a Tanks Inc. tank and a Aeromotive fuel pump, I think his screen name is Tsnow and his conversion was on a 69 camaro.

On the Amazon filter the exact same thing happened to me, but I used the Wix filter anyway as I was in a time crunch and have not had any problems so far, but I thought the same thing that sucks you think you are buying quality GM parts and get another brand, but Wix is a quality product as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pressure to high?