Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any one made GEN II headers fit a GEN III/IV???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any one made GEN II headers fit a GEN III/IV???

I just sold my genII sbc 327 from my 70 chevelle. The buyer passed on the headers and now I have those to either sell and get $100 for or I was thinking of modifying them to fit my 4.8L.... Has anyone ever done this or heard of this being done??? Headers are expensive for these motors nowadays!!!

I plan on adding a turbo to my car very soon, that is why I do not want to shell out for new headers or feel like paying a shop to add pipes from my stock 4.8 headers on back...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Im sure you could try cutting the flanges off and heating the tubes with new flanges (might be tricky though). Another option if you are going to go turbo soon, you could stick with manifolds and then flip them when it is time for the turbo and fab your cross over pipe. Just a thought.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

X2 stick with the truck manifolds.

Be easier and cheaper just to add some pipe for the truck units vs redoing the headers.You would have to buy LS flanges anyway for the headers. Just sell the Gen I headers and run the trucks manifolds.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are better off picking up a cheap / used set of BBC headers... cut the flange off and weld on some new LS ones.. will be a lot less work than trying to do the SBC ones. also. since they are for the Chevelle / A-Body, the BBC should be very close to fitting, depending on where you mount the LS engine. The BBC header would be close to the tube / cyl spacing in the first place.

BC
Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I can keep the truck manifolds on there and run pipes from truck manifolds until I get ready to turbo??

I didnt think I could run the pipes from the stock manifolds...... Clearance issues..????
Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
You are better off picking up a cheap / used set of BBC headers... cut the flange off and weld on some new LS ones.. will be a lot less work than trying to do the SBC ones. also. since they are for the Chevelle / A-Body, the BBC should be very close to fitting, depending on where you mount the LS engine. The BBC header would be close to the tube / cyl spacing in the first place.

BC
Either way you're really gonna have to "pull" some tubes. Gen II SBC has the same 4.4" bore spacing as the LS, but unevenly spaced ports. BBC has evenly spaced ports but 4.84" bore spacing. If you have access to various headers look at small block Ford stuff, they have the correct bore and tube spacing.

Last edited by S10xGN; 07-31-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Corrected BBC bore spacing...
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

S10, I was just going to suggest that!

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Quick Reply: any one made GEN II headers fit a GEN III/IV???