Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which k-member do you prefer?
Team Z
24.36%
AJE
58.97%
UPR
11.54%
PA Racing
5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Fox LS-swap k-member options...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running an older AJE k-member that used the round tube instead of square tube for the main crossbar, and an AJE trans crossmember for for an LS/TH350 combo in an 88 notchback race car. K-member was new in box with AJE motor mounts, trans crossmember was used. Using Dynatech headers.

The trans crossmember had cracked welds in the boxed section where the trans bolts to and it fit like junk. I wound up cutting out the center of the AJE trans crossmember and welding in my own piece of angle iron to make a custom trans crossmember.

AJE engine mounts didn't line up with the holes in the block and had to be drilled to fit.

The K-member bolted into the car no problem, but had the engine too far left to get the drivers header to clear the frame rail. Opened up the holes in the k-member a little and got it shifted to the passenger side and every fits now. However, the passenger header rubs the angle gusset on k-member and the engine has a visual apperance that it is sitting crooked in the engine bay (like the harmonic balancer is pointed to the passenger headlight). Haven't measured anything to verify if it is crooked.

All-in-all, I think the AJE engine mounts are junk as well and cause the poor engine fitment.

I am doing another LS-swap mustang next month in a '95. Using all AJE stuff. However, this will be the latest design AJE product, so I will report on fitment of the latest stuff.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedshifter
Running an older AJE k-member that used the round tube instead of square tube for the main crossbar, and an AJE trans crossmember for for an LS/TH350 combo in an 88 notchback race car. K-member was new in box with AJE motor mounts, trans crossmember was used. Using Dynatech headers.

The trans crossmember had cracked welds in the boxed section where the trans bolts to and it fit like junk. I wound up cutting out the center of the AJE trans crossmember and welding in my own piece of angle iron to make a custom trans crossmember.

AJE engine mounts didn't line up with the holes in the block and had to be drilled to fit.

The K-member bolted into the car no problem, but had the engine too far left to get the drivers header to clear the frame rail. Opened up the holes in the k-member a little and got it shifted to the passenger side and every fits now. However, the passenger header rubs the angle gusset on k-member and the engine has a visual apperance that it is sitting crooked in the engine bay (like the harmonic balancer is pointed to the passenger headlight). Haven't measured anything to verify if it is crooked.

All-in-all, I think the AJE engine mounts are junk as well and cause the poor engine fitment.

I am doing another LS-swap mustang next month in a '95. Using all AJE stuff. However, this will be the latest design AJE product, so I will report on fitment of the latest stuff.
Honestly, the problems you are describing are nearly the same problems people had with AJE k members 10 years ago but with Ford engines back when the AJE took OEM Ford motor mounts.

Some worked, some didn't. The quality control is apparently still missing.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color me the oddball but I used the stock k-member from my 92 4cyl fox
Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default K-member poll

I ran with the AJE K for 2 years was really poor quality and the front end made a lot of noise going over small bumps, so this fall I sold the K and Kooks headers and bought the Maximum Motorsports swap K complete with coilovers and a arms, I had to make my own mounts (used Jeep isolators and Ford 4.6 modified plates), worked well, the engine only sits 1/2 inch higher than it did with the AJE K, for headers I went with the BBK 351 swap cut the Ford flanges off and had LS flanges welded on, that was the easiest part of the whole swap, I even use a MM steering shaft with their "huge" u joints without any clearance issues. I still have to get the rest of the exhaust system done but I hope to have it back on the road by the time the weather warms up, I'll let you know how it works when I do. I do realize this is much more costly than most of the other K-members out there but you sure cant beat their quality and its what they do best and have been doing since the Fox body was invented.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried the racecraft k members ?.......they seem to be designed very well and have some adjustment in the motor mounts.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarg
Might want to throw in QA1 as well. I can give some experience on that one.
Like wise, they're fine for the Ford engines they were designed for, but they're a problem for LS based motors that run long tubes, they could also work for the LS turbo crowd running reversed exh. manifolds and alike but not sure. I would not recommend QA1. I may eventually swap out to UPR or something. In the pic here I cut out a spot on the K member where #6 primary tube header made contact, notched and welded it up, (these are Dynatechs being used)
Attached Thumbnails Fox LS-swap k-member options...-20140630_201720_resized.jpg  
Old 10-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Anyone have experience with the PA Racing K Member? From the pictures i've seen they look like quality pieces, but I haven't seen too many folks with them. I like that they offer a 4130 chromoly upgrade too. Plus their tubular A-arms look (at least in pictures) much more robust than the AJE A-arms. The PA Racing stuff is more expensive; but if this is one of those "you get what you pay for" type of situations, then I would happily pay a bit more for superior quality/strength/construction. Any thoughts on this? Thx
Old 10-31-2016, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crockerdave
Anyone have experience with the PA Racing K Member? From the pictures i've seen they look like quality pieces, but I haven't seen too many folks with them. I like that they offer a 4130 chromoly upgrade too. Plus their tubular A-arms look (at least in pictures) much more robust than the AJE A-arms. The PA Racing stuff is more expensive; but if this is one of those "you get what you pay for" type of situations, then I would happily pay a bit more for superior quality/strength/construction. Any thoughts on this? Thx
PA is great stuff. Jason (the owner) used to work for AJE, but opened his own company. I used his k-member in a '94 Mustang LS swap and it turned out great. Had some issues with the road race races fitting with an f-body oil pan, so Jason took the k-member back, cut out the extra bracing that was in the way, re-coated the k-member, and shipped it back. No charge! They also use stock f-body motor mounts which are great for vibration dampening.

Would not hesitate to use PA if you want a k-member tailor made for your needs.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Gonna be running a team z k member. anyone here use speed engineering swap headers with the team z k member?
Old 11-16-2020, 09:02 AM
Teching In

So i know its been awhile since this thread was alive lol. put after some years how are k members holding up ? are most guys still running aje and team z?
Old 11-17-2020, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkansas89lx
So i know its been awhile since this thread was alive lol. put after some years how are k members holding up ? are most guys still running aje and team z?
I’m still using the lame but modified QA1 in on one of my cars and AJE in the other without problems. I shortened the arms on the QA1 to tuck the wheels in a bit. Since this thread was started long ago almost all manufactures of Mustang to LS k members have modified or up graded theirs, not to mention a few more popped up.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input 64post . can you go a bit more into detail with what parts your running on your aje ? like headers and oil pan steering rack,
Old 12-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Teching In

are there any new opions for stock k member?
Old 12-26-2020, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm using the Maximum Motorsports MMKM-1

My car is a work in progress so I can't tell you how it's working but MM makes some really good stuff.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used this UPR K member and a motor plate and mid plate instead of motor mounts.

https://www.uprproducts.com/79-04-mu...hoop-k-member/

Quick Reply: Fox LS-swap k-member options...