Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering pump pukes from the top

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump pukes from the top

Hey guys I just got my truck running and have a wierd problem. I have a 6.0 from an 05 3/4 ton. I plugged the extra 3/8 hose from the resevoir that comes off thside and put the cap on. There seems to be pressure build up when the truck is running and it pukes from the 3/8 hose. If I remove the cap it bleeds the pressure off. I did not have this problem before when I ran the motor in the fabrication process. I believe the fluid level is correct also. Please help.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where's Chuck when you need him? Search for "power steering" under username "old geezer", he had issues like this using a hydroboost pump with the 2nd return port and knows the solution.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not find his posts but I found what others have done. It was the same solution I came up with which is to tighly cap the third line. It seems odd that the power steering pump does not have a vent. It is thid built up pressure that was making the pump puke. I would think a simple vent in the cap would be the solution.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're not using Hydroboost, your PS return should go to the one on the back of the pump (it's lower and submerged in the fluid). You'll probably still need a tight cap on the other return line. This is all info I got from Chuck as well. His lines were swapped initially and the system whined loudly (we are running Hydroboost brakes).
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Noise was cured by moving the steer gear return to the lower port. I capped the upper port with a cap and a hose clamp. No issues.
When I went to the HB, I just added the HB return line to the upper port. NP.
The system does appear to have some pressure in it, but I had no leaks.

Quick Reply: power steering pump pukes from the top