Sponsored by:

Standalone harness and BCM questions 2000 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Standalone harness and BCM questions 2000 Firebird

Hey guys,

So my car is a 2000 Pontiac Transam and lately I have been having a huge problem of a missfire in the car. I have LITERALLY spent months trying to track down the problem, and I have not come up with a definitive answer. This includes countless HpTuners logs, and multimeter continuity testing. Basically the problem is a backfire/miss under partial load (15-30% TPS). Rpms is not a factor.

So now in an effort to finally fix this problem for good, I have been researching to do buy a standalone wiring harness off of ebay (I will leave out the non-sponsor name). The transam is more or less a track only car with VERY minimal street use. So it has no A/C, or radio, or heater, or anything else related to emissions in the slightest.

I guess my question's are these:

1. How many people have done said standalone harness in an originally equipped LS vehicle.
2. How does the Body control module work in conjuction with this. Will I still have use of my lights, horn, turn signals, etc after doing this changeover?

I am just looking for anything to solve this problem. I am about fed up with it.

Also I hope I chose the right forum to post this in. And for any reference, most of the mods are in my sig.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me cliff note your problem: You have a misfire problem but have no idea what is causing the misfire and are going to throw a new harness at it in hopes of that fixing the problem?

Did i read your problem correct?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You pretty much got it down. Maybe I also didn't note though that all of these items are pretty much new and have <500 miles on them:

Heads, 60# injectors, all sensors required for engine operation, coil packs, all new engine grounds and power wires, spark plug wires, and spark plugs.

Like I said... I have been at this for months. lol
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet money that its not the harness espically if you have been checking all your stuff. If your bored unhook all the sensors and ohm all the wires and check continuity throght all of them then cross megg all of them to make sure nothing is crossed that will save you a couple houndred bucks and know that the harness is ok. I would guess that somehting in your tune got mixed up ever so slightly or maybe you have a bad sensor/injector somewhere along the lines.

Quick Reply: Standalone harness and BCM questions 2000 Firebird